Manny clarifies his comments

Going Underground

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just now seeing this and read this article as well: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2019/04/28/orioles-fan-furror-over-manny-machado-comments-ignores-one-thing-he-was-right/#7519f0141ead

Makes a ton of sense if you're Manny and kinda always has. I think the Forbes article frames the context well.

I hope he gets treated well when he treks back to Baltimore. 

2 minutes ago, Bubble Buddy said:

Just now seeing this and read this article as well: 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2019/04/28/orioles-fan-furror-over-manny-machado-comments-ignores-one-thing-he-was-right/#7519f0141ead

Makes a ton of sense if you're Manny and kinda always has. I think the Forbes article frames the context well.

I hope he gets treated well when he treks back to Baltimore. 

It's a nice article but one problem, they don't know what was offered to Manny.

Did the O's make a fair market offer to Machado?  Did they make multiple offers over the years?  Did they lowball him?

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did the O's make a fair market offer to Machado?  Did they make multiple offers over the years?  Did they lowball him?

I think it's pretty clear the O's almost certainly blew it at every turn with any Manny negotiations. You hope things like this take a turn for the better under "new" ownership. We shall see. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think it's pretty clear the O's almost certainly blew it at every turn with any Manny negotiations. You hope things like this take a turn for the better under "new" ownership. We shall see. 

Not trying to be a contrarian (for once) but it isn't clear to me.  I don't know how willing Manny was to stay in Baltimore.  Maybe his contract demands were unreasonable? 

I am very skeptical that the new ownership will be as willing to spend as the old.

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Best we've heard reported is that they were a few million apart when he was having knee trouble. Never been verified or backed up by any other reporter. We'll probably never know, unless Brady writes his memoir "Biceps, (Side)burns, and Bungled Negotations - A Life"

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Manny should concentrate on the San Diego fans.

After about 1/6th of the season he is hitting .235 and is ranked 17th in OPS among ML third baseman.

A generational talent ? A future HOF'er?

So, when he is in DC, he's asked a question about the Orioles he should refuse to answer?

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not trying to be a contrarian (for once) but it isn't clear to me.  I don't know how willing Manny was to stay in Baltimore.  Maybe his contract demands were unreasonable? 

I am very skeptical that the new ownership will be as willing to spend as the old.

I think the new ownership knew the state of affairs here, and decided it wasn't worth trying to keep Manny here, just to have him here in 3 years, when they had better pieces around him.

Just my gut, and Ive been wrong before. :)

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Orioles didn't reach out to Manny since the 2013 offseason.  A couple weeks ago, Dan Connolly notes, "I think it may have bled into 2014. But they kept all that pretty close to the vest. And I definitely think the anticipated demands -- which proved attainable for his side -- were a major deterrent."

My assumption all along is that Angelos was concerned about a long-term deal at that time due to Manny's knee(s).  However, by 2015, Manny's knees were fine for all 162 games.   Sure his expected demands kept increasing as he moved closer to free agency but why nothing happened following 2015/16 hasn't been reported.

good for him.  I find it funny at this point how often he has to clarify things he says or does.  Keep splitting hairs Manny still doesn't change who you are, what you said, or what you have done.  My advice (not that it matters), work on the future and so you can stop lamenting the past. 

17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Manny should concentrate on the San Diego fans.

After about 1/6th of the season he is hitting .235 and is ranked 17th in OPS among ML third baseman.

A generational talent ? A future HOF'er?

At least he hasn't started getting booed by the hometown fans like Harper has.  

Wish him and his new team well.  I do not ever want to feel that the Orioles benefited by mismanaging him.  It would be a poor outcome.  Sorta like that year Peter decided against the rebuild and the team rallied.  Got lucky on the result, but it was still the wrong decision for the long run....

Archived