O's listening to trade offers for Givens

wildcard

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, atomic said:

If you look how our prospects are doing in the top 3 levels you would realize the rebuild In the current form is pretty futile.  

The new front office has not done a draft yet nor constructed a trade of any of our main players. You're looking at the past and shading what is possibly only a marginally related future with it.

30 minutes ago, LA2 said:

The new front office has not done a draft yet nor constructed a trade of any of our main players. You're looking at the past and shading what is possibly only a marginally related future with it.

Not main main players left to trade.  Not many prospects doing anything. I think the rebuild the way they are doing it will take 6 years or more with the current situation.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I realize this is an effort in futility however....let's try:

What would you rather have?

A.  2.5 years of Givens, playing for a rebuilding team that most likely won't be a winner and the likelihood leaving in free agency with the Orioles not getting anything in return

B.  Givens traded, netting one good prospect or two solid prospects that would be under team control for years to come and could possibly be a part of the next Orioles winning team

To me, keeping Givens for 2.5 years in a rebuilding effort makes zero sense to me.  I realize we won't get much back for him so I'd rather get prospects back for him.

Neither of those make sense the best option is option C -

Pray Givens catches fire in the next 2.5 years, ideally this year and let him go. It he struggles this year, I’d take the risk on him improving next before trading him. 

I can’t imagine anyone arguing in favor of your option A, and your B on present value is a poor return in my opinion, regardless of remaining service time.  Teams get swayed by “what have you done for me lately” performance in mid-season trades.

2 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Teams get swayed by “what have you done for me lately” performance in mid-season trades.

Prove it, in regards to giving up a prospect that's too valuable for what they're getting in return, based off a player "catching fire" for a few months.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

So you're of the opinion that the Brewers gave up too much for Jonathan Schoop for what he was doing in 2018?

Yes - Villar has been better than Schoop since, and we got two prospects in addition on an awful season because he caught fire.

Why not throw Sonny Gray and Scott Feldman in there who turned outlier seasons, or at least seasons after poor ones, into big returns?  

1 minute ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Yes - Villar has been better than Schoop since, and we got two prospects in addition on an awful season because he caught fire.

Why not throw Sonny Gray and Scott Feldman in there who turned outlier seasons, or at least seasons after poor ones, into big returns?  

Where was it reported that the Brewers gave us extra for Schoop catching fire?

Archived