Tanner Scott: Why isn't he at Norfolk?

interloper

When I see Tanner Scott, I keep thinking of Brad Pennington.   He can put up decent numbers in the minors and has pretty good stuff, but when he faces more disciplined hitters, he's not effective.   

Unless he can get his control/command straightened out, I just don't see him succeeding.   I suppose we could say the same thing about a number of our prospects.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

You are the one suggesting the O's keep him at Norfolk in an attempt to develop him.  I'm the one suggesting they use him as needed.

I don't really buy the low-stress environment argument.   Hard to get less stressful than the 2019 Orioles.

I guess I'm surprised you're not just using this as an excuse to whittle Elias down a bit. The guy said he wanted to focus on development and if any pitcher is screaming for development and analytics, it's Scott. I get that he's on the 40-man so he was probably going to get the shuttle treatment at some point, I just don't see what leaving him up here to get clobbered and blow games is going to do for anybody involved. The 2019 Orioles may not be stressful to you and me, but it's obviously much different for players trying to eek out an existence up here. Do you honestly think Mullins was just chilling every night? Of course not. It's naive to think players view this like fans do. 

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

I guess I'm surprised you're not just using this as an excuse to whittle Elias down a bit. The guy said he wanted to focus on development and if any pitcher is screaming for development and analytics, it's Scott. I get that he's on the 40-man so he was probably going to get the shuttle treatment at some point, I just don't see what leaving him up here to get clobbered and blow games is going to do for anybody involved. The 2019 Orioles may not be stressful to you and me, but it's obviously much different for players trying to eek out an existence up here. Do you honestly think Mullins was just chilling every night? Of course not. It's naive to think players view this like fans do. 

I'm not suggesting leaving him up there, you are suggesting leaving him down.  As for stress, I don't know but I think Scott not being able to throw strikes and get guys out is about as stressful if he is doing it at AAA or the Majors.  I doubt he's fine with the 11.57 ERA and 1.714 WHIP he has in Norfolk. 

If Scott is on he can get out ML hitters, if he's not on he can't get out AAA hitters.  I don't see where his stress level is going to be different.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

When I see Tanner Scott, I keep thinking of Brad Pennington.   He can put up decent numbers in the minors and has pretty good stuff, but when he faces more disciplined hitters, he's not effective.   

Unless he can get his control/command straightened out, I just don't see him succeeding.   I suppose we could say the same thing about a number of our prospects.

Wasnt Pennington the guy that could throw really hard, but had no movement on his ball, so  MLB hitters would square off and hit that thing a mile.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wasnt Pennington the guy that could throw really hard, but had no movement on his ball, so  MLB hitters would square off and hit that thing a mile.

Bingo.  I remember the one Ken Griffey Jr. hit off of him.   I believe it's still in orbit!  :)

Here’s a general question:

The debate about Scott is centered around whether he can improve. Nobody thinks he’s good enough NOW, and everyone agrees-or seems to accept- that if he never improves from what he is now, he’ll be another 97-MPH failure.

my question is how to make the final determination? There are obviously exceptions to every rule, but is there any kind of algorithm/formula/eye test/age limit at which people can confidently say,”this is it hes done move on”

as a teacher, I see most of my students make incremental progress from plateau to slightly higher plateau until they reach their level and stop, or something transforms them and they leap to the high mountains without effort. That happened to Randy Johnson and on a much lower level, it happened to me.

does anyone have any idea whether that can happen with Scott? I know what happened with me, but not what happened with RJ, so I don’t know how likely it is with Scott. And if not, what will be the signs that it’s time to say goodbye?

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Here’s a general question:

The debate about Scott is centered around whether he can improve. Nobody thinks he’s good enough NOW, and everyone agrees-or seems to accept- that if he never improves from what he is now, he’ll be another 97-MPH failure.

my question is how to make the final determination? There are obviously exceptions to every rule, but is there any kind of algorithm/formula/eye test/age limit at which people can confidently say,”this is it hes done move on”

as a teacher, I see most of my students make incremental progress from plateau to slightly higher plateau until they reach their level and stop, or something transforms them and they leap to the high mountains without effort. That happened to Randy Johnson and on a much lower level, it happened to me.

does anyone have any idea whether that can happen with Scott? I know what happened with me, but not what happened with RJ, so I don’t know how likely it is with Scott. And if not, what will be the signs that it’s time to say goodbye?

I think he was good enough last year to at least have a job in the majors.  (3.4 FIP)

That demonstrates that it is possible.

As for how long you give him?  As long as you can as long as the tools are there and overall record doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agree to disagree.  He needs to improve his command.  He can do that at either level.  If the MLB team needs him to eat some innings in a lost season so be it.  I don't see why the rest of the pitchers should be put under additional stress to protect him.

What would he "work" on tho? Just wondering. Throwing 93-94 instead of 97-98?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he was good enough last year to at least have a job in the majors.  (3.4 FIP)

That demonstrates that it is possible.

As for how long you give him?  As long as you can as long as the tools are there and overall record doesn't matter.

Well what are his tools? Remember, throwing hard and fast is an ability but not a skill. The skill comes in controlling it effectively and consistently. One trouble free outing in every four or so wont work. He gets a longer leash on this team because this team is currently the Novgorod( funny story, look it up) but your own comment indicates he wouldn’t have a spot on any worthwhile team( maybe we can trade him to the Royals?)

Jason Garcia is another guy who comes to mind who threw hard but wild, and he had 6 years in the Boston system, two wild years with us and is now out of baseball. Scott is better and no doubt, but they occupy the same plateau.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Well what are his tools? Remember, throwing hard and fast is an ability but not a skill. The skill comes in controlling it effectively and consistently. One trouble free outing in every four or so wont work. He gets a longer leash on this team because this team is currently the Novgorod( funny story, look it up) but your own comment indicates he wouldn’t have a spot on any worthwhile team( maybe we can trade him to the Royals?)

Jason Garcia is another guy who comes to mind who threw hard but wild, and he had 6 years in the Boston system, two wild years with us and is now out of baseball. Scott is better and no doubt, but they occupy the same plateau.

Have you ever read a write up on Scott?

He has shown both a plus plus fastball and a plus slider in the minors.

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Pennington certainly has come into my mind when I watch him pitch as well.

The big thing this year is the slider has not been very good compared to last year and his velocity is down 1.5 MPH. When you add it to his legendary inconsistency from one outing to the next, he's a guy you let try and figure it out in AAA, not in Baltimore where you will end up stressing the rest of your bullpen to cover for a guy who sometimes can''t get anyone out.

Archived