If you could ask Mike Elias anything, what would you ask?

Tony-OH

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you remember a guy named Forrest from Mrs. Deterding's 6th grade class?

He's a pretty cool guy who you should hire to work for his favorite baseball team.

In all seriousness, since he grew up in NoVa well before the Gnats moved into town, I'd want to ask: What were your rooting interests prior to working in the industry?

Regarding rebuilding, I'd like to ask: What is your opinion on raising minor league pay? Do you think that an organization which does so would be at a competitive advantage (IE, players have less outside concerns, can theoretically devote more energy to baseball) or not?

I would ask him if he feels as good about the job and future of the organization today as he did when he was first hired in November.  Also, I’d like to know what his plans & timing are for restructuring the scouting & player development departments, neither of which currently has a director after he let go of Brian Graham & Gary Rajsich.  Thanks Tony!

What gets you the most excited for the future of the Baltimore Orioles? Is it current prospects or prospect position groups, IE pitchers or outfielders? Or is it the upcoming high draft picks? Or the future use of the international markets?

What will you need in return to trade Givens with 2/1/2 year left before FA?

Will you eat Trumbo's salary if he is not traded by August 1st?

The O's have three other DH types in Mancini, Nunez and Mountcastle.   Why keep Trumbo on the roster  if trades are off the table after the end of July?

Which team is your model of the the O's rebuild? Astros or Brewers?

I'd want to pick his brain about how the Dominican Summer League works; how it worked under previous leadership and his aims to change it and make it a viable source of talent. I'm curious about the challenges of scouting Dominican talent that a layman might not consider. I'm interested to know about the scouts, what they do, what they look at, a "day in the life".

Maybe that's a huge goofy request, but I wouldn't expect a real answer about that anyway.

Does the team need a photographer?

Do you hang the toilet paper on the roll over or under?

Jokes aside (and he probably wouldn't answer this):  Billy Beane said essentially all GMs are looking at the same things now, that there are no more undervalued/under-appreciated assets in the game.  How do you compensate for this, what are you putting values on and what are you researching to give you more insight and a leg up on the competition? 

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Does the team need a photographer?

Do you hang the toilet paper on the roll over or under?

Jokes aside (and he probably wouldn't answer this):  Billy Beane said essentially all GMs are looking at the same things now, that there are no more undervalued/under-appreciated assets in the game.  How do you compensate for this, what are you putting values on and what are you researching to give you more insight and a leg up on the competition? 

I have to think that we are just in a lull in this regard right now. I have to think that the next great GM will identify the next undervalued characteristics sooner or later. To quote Eddie Vedder, "it's evolution, baby."

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

I have to think that we are just in a lull in this regard right now. I have to think that the next great GM will identify the next undervalued characteristics sooner or later. To quote Eddie Vedder, "it's evolution, baby."

Eddie Vedder, first to understand and explain evolution. 

Archived