The 2019 records of infamy thread

Santandah

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The all time record for homers given up is going to be inevitable.  I don't see how the pitching gets significantly better, better enough to NOT set that record.  IIRC, they're so far ahead of the pace, it would take a significant regression to NOT set it.  

If you ever wanted to catch a ball in the stands, now is the time to do it. Attendance is so low there won't be much competition to catch it either.

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The all time record for homers given up is going to be inevitable.  I don't see how the pitching gets significantly better, better enough to NOT set that record.  IIRC, they're so far ahead of the pace, it would take a significant regression to NOT set it.  

Nope. The second half of the season will have Cobb on fire, Bundy, Means, Akin and ...

Never mind. You're right. That record is going down hard. Maybe before September.

[Edit: Also wanted to note that the Marlins have won 4 straight. We're about to take over the lead for the #1 pick. Already have, depending on how you look at it.]

I wonder what the record is for most homers given up to a single player in a season by one team?  We’ve already yielded 10 homers to Gleyber Torres in 11 games, and 9 to Gary Sanchez.    Think about how ridiculous that is.

I had a look at all the players who hit 60+ homers in a season to see what their top total was against any one opponent was.    Here’s what I found:

- Roger Maris hit 13 against the White Sox in 1961

- Sammy Sosa hit 12 against the Astros in 2001.

- Several players hit 11 against various teams.    By the way, that includes Aaron Judge hitting 11 against us in 2017 (I remembered him hitting a lot against us that year and so I looked it up even though he didn’t hit 60).

Edit: I found an article saying that the record is held by Lou Gehrig, 14 homers against the Indians in 1936.   http://www.highheatstats.com/2014/01/most-homers-in-a-season-vs-one-opposing-team/

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder what the record is for most homers given up to a single player in a season by one team?  We’ve already yielded 10 homers to Gleyber Torres in 11 games, and 9 to Gary Sanchez.    Think about how ridiculous that is.ot against us that year and so I looked it up even though he didn’t hit 60).

The Orioles record is 12, back when they were the St. Louis Browns

Torres has a very good chance to break the single-season record for homers hit by a player against the Orioles franchise. His 10 long balls versus the team are only two shy of the mark shared by three players: Lou Gehrig (1931), Hank Greenberg (1946), and Gus Zernial (1951). At the time each of those players hit 12 homers against the organization, the Orioles were known as the St. Louis Browns.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26803693/yanks-torres-ups-season-hr-total-vs-o-10

NY has 78 HR for the year, 34 vs the O's.  That means in their other 37 games, they've given up 44.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I wonder what the record is for most homers given up to a single player in a season by one team?  We’ve already yielded 10 homers to Gleyber Torres in 11 games, and 9 to Gary Sanchez.    Think about how ridiculous that is.

I had a look at all the players who hit 60+ homers in a season to see what their top total was against any one opponent was.    Here’s what I found:

- Roger Maris hit 13 against the White Sox in 1961

- Sammy Sosa hit 12 against the Astros in 2001.

- Several players hit 11 against various teams.    By the way, that includes Aaron Judge hitting 11 against us in 2017 (I remembered him hitting a lot against us that year and so I looked it up even though he didn’t hit 60).

Edit: I found an article saying that the record is held by Lou Gehrig, 14 homers against the Indians in 1936.   http://www.highheatstats.com/2014/01/most-homers-in-a-season-vs-one-opposing-team/

Gehrig hit eight homers in League Park in Cleveland that year, in 54 PAs.  If I recall correctly League Park was about 275' to RF, and barely over 300' in the gap.  And old Yankee was 296' to RF.

Archived