Callis: Witt Jr. the best SS prospect since A-Rod

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Agreed. Vaughn is not Hobgood... I mentioned Hobgoood to refer to the 'savings/overslot later' crap we've done before.

Anyway, I fully expect we'll take Rutschman at 1-1.

Yeah, I’m sure you agree, but IIRC Hobgood was like a 25-60 type of talent. That’s a lot different than taking, say, the #5 talent to go over slot later. It’s a valid strategy but it’s risky.

That said, I have no desire to get cute here. I want AR. I’d accept Witt if Elias is fine with the hit tool (and if he picks him, he must be). 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Statements like this reflect poorly on the scouts making them. Similar to the Espino 90 grade fastball quote I saw from an unnamed scout somewhere. No one at any point has a median outcome of Mike Trout, even if he was dominating AAA at his age. I dislike this type of hyperbole.

I agree Callis is a premier consensus guy, but I wonder if a little of this is marketing the draft and building the name recognition for more casual fans who they hope to get to even turn on the telecast for a little bit.

The Rutschman spring has been the linchpin of my hopes for 2022 relevance - if we go HS, I'll be a little sad to have to wait probably yet another year or two for the new franchise player.  Vaughn and overslot guys would I guess be preferable in that respect.

Archived