2019 9th round pick (258): Connor Gillispie - RHS - (JR) Virginia Commonwealth University

17 minutes ago, weams said:

“Connor wants the baseball, he’s extremely competitive,” Stiffler said. “And to have a guy who you know wants to take it every opportunity he can is a nice feeling as a head coach.”

Over the course of his career at VCU, Stiffler said, Gillispie has continued to evolve, continued to push himself and continued to push his command.

From adding the slider to strengthening himself for the long haul, Gillispie has positioned himself as one of the best in the league.

24 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I assume you approve of this pick @Luke-OH

Gillispie, Fassnacht, and McMahon in the first 300 picks despite not making even the BA state lists makes me pretty happy with my depth of draft research. 

Yeah, Gillispie is good value in the 9th round. It's plus spin rates, low 90s fastball sits 90-92, two-plane slider that's action is almost like a hard curve, potential plus pitch. Small guy, don't know if the fastball plays as a starter and I didn't see much of a changeup, but if he can get a couple ticks in relief, which I think he can, he'd profile pretty well as a 7th inning type. 

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Gillispie, Fassnacht, and McMahon in the first 300 picks despite not making even the BA state lists makes me pretty happy with my depth of draft research. 

Yeah, Gillispie is good value in the 9th round. It's plus spin rates, low 90s fastball sits 90-92, two-plane slider that's action is almost like a hard curve, potential plus pitch. Small guy, don't know if the fastball plays as a starter and I didn't see much of a changeup, but if he can get a couple ticks in relief, which I think he can, he'd profile pretty well as a 7th inning type. 

Your depth of research is amazing. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

For some reason his name is extremely familiar to me.   

Probably because of this guy:  https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/gillaco01.shtml

Good call!  It was nagging at me and I was going to google it.  Sounds like a good pick this far down.  I seem to remember a player or two who only threw a slider and was unhittable out of the pen.  I think his name was Sergio Romo, then some other guy but his name escapes me.  I think it was a Yankee, number 42, but whatever.  Romo had great success with a slider and I hope Gillispie can become just as good. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Nice start to his season in Aberdeen.  Came into the game in relief and pitched 2 innings and retired all six batters he faced.  4 K's 

Him and McLarty are tailor made to destroy short season hitters. I wouldn’t get too high on them regardless of how dominant they are unless their velocities are up.

Archived