2019 9th round pick (258): Connor Gillispie - RHS - (JR) Virginia Commonwealth University

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

A lot of Ks. 12+ k/9

Gillispie experienced some success as a freshman, appearing 12 times with seven starts, striking out 38 in 31ß innings and posting a 4.31 ERA. But, afterward, he went to play summer ball with the Charlottesville Tom Sox in the Valley Baseball League. His mission was to develop a slider.

Back at VCU, with the slider in his arsenal, Gillispie has seen his collegiate career take off. He led the Rams with 97 strikeouts in 73⅔ innings last year, and had a 2.57 ERA. This year, his 70 strikeouts in 51ß innings lead the Atlantic 10, and his 1.58 ERA ranks second in the conference.

The slider has become one of Gillispie’s strongest pitches, with his fastball.

“Being able to throw my slider wherever I want, it’s really helped me be successful,” he said.

At one point last March, Gillispie had a 19-inning scoreless streak going, and saw his ERA drop to 1.50. Gillispie said, laughing, that he didn’t even know that he had the streak until it ended and the announcer mentioned it on the PA system.

A couple weeks later, Gillispie pitched six scoreless innings in a win over St. Bonaventure, which got his ERA down to a season-best 1.34.

Of the two pitchers we did take so far, these are both very unique and should have a good chance to advance through the system. I'd guess Gillispie is a reliever in our system and they will develop McClarty as a starter and see if they can add a tick more velocity to go with his solid control while trying to develop a strong secondary repertoire.  Could develop into a #5 type starter.