Gunnar Henderson signs

Luke-OH

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d be surprised if he started above the GCL.    Almost all high school kids do, including our last 2 no. 1 draft picks.    And we have a couple older shortstops at Aberdeen already.   

Good points Frobby.  Will be interesting to see if and when he passes the likes of Carmona, etc.  A wealth of middle infield prospects at the low minors is a nice change from years passed.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Good points Frobby.  Will be interesting to see if and when he passes the likes of Carmona, etc.  A wealth of middle infield prospects at the low minors is a nice change from years passed.

Assuming he’s assigned to the GCL, hopefully he will dominate there and maybe get some time in Aberdeen in August.    

Hey, even Manny played a couple of games in the GCL!    Back then, August 15 was the signing deadline and I recall he signed pretty late.    He played 2 games in the GCL and then 7 in Aberdeen and that was it before the season ended.    I’m glad they moved the signing date up a few years ago.

9 hours ago, bird watcher said:

I’m having a hard time seeing how this is anything but an obvious choice assuming he is going to get north of 3mil or even 2mil.  If he wants to play professional baseball then he gets his start early with a better/potentially faster path to the majors. If he wants an education to hedge against failure in professional baseball then he has millions already in the bank to own his own home and pay for college with no loans necessary and still have millions left over.  

Why would anyone go to college under those circumstances?

That assumes he knows what to do with money. That is quite an assumption.  I have known many a person who lived up the adage that a fool and his money will soon be parted.  Further, the choice to attend college in many cases revolves around more than simply money, so I do not tie everything to the all mighty dollar in this situation. The franchise made a sales pitch that included more than simple cash, and from what I have seen in this kid he made a choice that took it all into consideration.

10 hours ago, bird watcher said:

I’m having a hard time seeing how this is anything but an obvious choice assuming he is going to get north of 3mil or even 2mil.  If he wants to play professional baseball then he gets his start early with a better/potentially faster path to the majors. If he wants an education to hedge against failure in professional baseball then he has millions already in the bank to own his own home and pay for college with no loans necessary and still have millions left over.  

Why would anyone go to college under those circumstances?

Two reasons, he may want to play in front of enthusiastic college crowds while enjoying college life a bit, and if he was betting on himself to be high first rounder in three years he could be leaving a few millions more on the floor. 

I'm not saying he's making the wrong decision, and at $2 million or more it would be tough to say no, but some guys may see a bigger picture.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Two reasons, he may want to play in front of enthusiastic college crowds while enjoying college life a bit, and if he was betting on himself to be high first rounder in three years he could be leaving a few millions more on the floor. 

I'm not saying he's making the wrong decision, and at $2 million or more it would e tough to say no, but some guys may see a bigger picture.

Isn't his brother on the team?

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno if you're considering that as a dig at Manny of some sorts but I think Manny has 300 million reasons not to care that goes on in Baltimore.

No, I'm saying it's a great PR move. Tomorrow's storyline was going to be all about Manny coming back and and about how awful we are, and blah, blah, blah. Elias can turn that around be announcing two parts of a hopeful future in Baltimore. It would be genius.

I for one will clap the first time Manny comes up. He is not a perfect player or person, but he gave me a lot of exciting moments to watch over the years.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, I'm saying it's a great PR move. Tomorrow's storyline was going to be all about Manny coming back and and about how awful we are, and blah, blah, blah. Elias can turn that around be announcing two parts of a hopeful future in Baltimore. It would be genius.

I for one will clap the first time Manny comes up. He is not a perfect player or person, but he gave me a lot of exciting moments to watch over the years.

I'd rather not take any of the spotlight away from the two signees.

I do agree that Manny should be applauded.

8 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Will Gunnar play as SS from the start, or if they think 3B, will they move him there now?  

The prevailing theory is to play a guy that the position of highest defensive value until they prove they can not handle it.

I don't see why Elias won't follow that.

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed on all parts.  I know a lot of people want to boo Manny, but I hope they change their minds.  He was the biggest reason to watch the team most of his time here.  

52 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I expect Manny to get a standing ovation.  But I don't expect many people to be there. 

11 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Agreed on all parts.  I know a lot of people want to boo Manny, but I hope they change their minds.  He was the biggest reason to watch the team most of his time here.  

Why would an Oriole fan boo Manny?  That's theater of the absurd. 

16 hours ago, Yachtsman said:

That assumes he knows what to do with money. That is quite an assumption.  I have known many a person who lived up the adage that a fool and his money will soon be parted.  Further, the choice to attend college in many cases revolves around more than simply money, so I do not tie everything to the all mighty dollar in this situation. The franchise made a sales pitch that included more than simple cash, and from what I have seen in this kid he made a choice that took it all into consideration.

I wonder how much (if any) financial planning advice MLB teams give to draftees and signees?  I guess it doesn't give them a competitive advantage, but it just seems like the right thing to do to take these 18, 19, 20-something kids who suddenly have a couple $million and really emphasize to them "hey, sure, go spend a couple hundred grand on a car or house or something, but you'll be a long way towards setting yourself up for life if you just put most of this in an indexed mutual fund and forget about it.  Compound interest pays off way more often than trying to beat out all the other shortstops in the system."

Archived