BA Midseason Top 100

VaBird1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

swinging and missing at pitches in the zone.      

His strike out looking percentage is 20.3% for his career compared to 24% major league average.    

His career rate of swinging at pitches outside the zone is 26.5% (league average this year is 31.2%). His career average of swinging at pitches inside the zone is 70.6% (league average 68.4%).    So he’s making good choices.    But his average of making contact with pitches in the zone is 76.1% compared to leagu

I would say as much as he strikes out 20 percent is a huge number of times to strike out.  How would you compare him to Markakis who I would think has much better at awareness of the strike zone. 

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

If a guy is hitting .240 it isn't a good sign.  You can make excuses all you want.  Mike Trout hit .326 in AA. Adam Jones .298.  Chistian Yelich .288.  Kevin Kiermaier .307. Dexter Fowler .333.  Joc Pederson .278. AJ Pollock .301. Adam Eaton .302. Charlie Blackmon, George Spring .297, Billy Hamilton .296

I just grabbed a list of center fielders and all of them hit well in AA.  Batting average is probably the best judge. As power develops later. 

And this is Diaz second tour with Bowie.  

BA is one of the least predictive stats. You are making it even less predictive by cutting down the sample size. Diaz has hit .270 in AA. Over 645 PA, which honestly still isn't a large enough sample for something as noisy as batting average. 

Regardless, scouting stats alone is somewhat missing the point and you have chosen one of the worst stats to invoke. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I would say as much as he strikes out 20 percent is a huge number of times to strike out.  How would you compare him to Markakis who I would think has much better at awareness of the strike zone. 

Markakis has excellent strike zone judgment.    Only swings at 24.8% of pitches outside the zone, but also takes a lot of strikes (swings at 61.7% in the zone).     When he swings, he hits the ball.    In fact, his contact percentage outside the zone (80.5%) is better than Reynolds’ contact percentage inside the zone (76.1%); in the zone Markakis makes contact 92.0% of the time.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Markakis has excellent strike zone judgment.    Only swings at 24.8% of pitches outside the zone, but also takes a lot of strikes (swings at 61.7% in the zone).     When he swings, he hits the ball.    In fact, his contact percentage outside the zone (80.5%) is better than Reynolds’ contact percentage inside the zone (76.1%); in the zone Markakis makes contact 92.0% of the time.    

That 92% number is amazing. Easy to tell it’s high by watching him but that’s really incredible.

24 minutes ago, survivedc said:

That 92% number is amazing. Easy to tell it’s high by watching him but that’s really incredible.

That’s his career number.    This year he’s at 90.7%, which is 26th among 157 qualified batters.   Tops is Michael Brantley at 96.5% this year.   

A lot of the guys who are high on the list also take a lot of strikes.   So, they’re not just looking for a strike, they’re looking for something in their wheelhouse.   The most notable exception is Max Kepler, who swings at 76% of pitches in the zone (26th of 157) but is making contact 94.0% of the time when he swings (6th).    

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

BA is one of the least predictive stats. You are making it even less predictive by cutting down the sample size. Diaz has hit .270 in AA. Over 645 PA, which honestly still isn't a large enough sample for something as noisy as batting average. 

Regardless, scouting stats alone is somewhat missing the point and you have chosen one of the worst stats to invoke. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=efrain000yun

.280 over those 641 ABs is what I’m seeing. Which would be right there with those all stars that @atomic  listed. Hilarious, rarely have I seen someone  so misuse a stat only to have it turned around on them immediately.

• Upvote 2

Just now, El_Duderino said:

.280 over those 641 ABs is what I’m seeing. Which would be right there with those all stars that @atomic  listed. Hilarious, rarely have I seen someone  so misuse a stat only to have it turned around on them immediately.

Thanks for the correction. 

34 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

The rest were on a team where everyone was hitting over .280. Obviously a hitters park. Il

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Nope.  Batting average matters.  A guy hitting .280 might be better than a guy hitting .300 but .240 is bad no matter how you slice it.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Markakis is one of the most underrated players to play for the Orioles.  He had so many long at bats that helped the team by making the opposing starting pitcher wear down. Underrated in the field as well.  Great arm and didnt make mistakes. Total team player.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Nope.  Batting average matters.  A guy hitting .280 might be better than a guy hitting .300 but .240 is bad no matter how you slice it.

By that logic, Hanser Alberto has been better at the plate this year than Brandon Belt, Michael Conforto, Gary Sanchez, Jay Bruce, etc. Which is completely refuted by basic fact. 

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

By that logic, Hanser Alberto has been better at the plate this year than Brandon Belt, Michael Conforto, Gary Sanchez, Jay Bruce, etc. Which is completely refuted by basic fact. 

Did I say average was the only thing.  Michael Conforto hit .312 at AA at 22.  Alberto has more WAR than Brandon Belt. Jay Bruce hit .361 at AAA at 21. Brandon Belr .327 at AA at 22.  You are just proving my point.

• Downvote 1