Wieters At It Again

Lucky Jim

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Not his play. That's amazing.

What's ridiculous is that the Orioles haven't let him come up and play yet. All the contract talk, experience talk, and bs aside, this man is the best catcher in the organization. There's no excuse for not having him in the bigs right now.

If he's called up this year won't that start his Major League service clock to ticking?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he's called up this year won't that start his Major League service clock to ticking?

That's the thing. I'm not one of the types that cares about the service clock.

If you still want him when his clock is up PAY THE MAN. I'm tired of this nickel and dime crap that's gripped baseball. Every year MLB breaks its own previous profit record. Start spending a little.

When Wieters gets called up does not change whether or not this team will be able to resign him down the road. If he wants to go, he'll go. If he wants to stay, he'll stay.

That's the thing. I'm not one of the types that cares about the service clock.

If you still want him when his clock is up PAY THE MAN. I'm tired of this nickel and dime crap that's gripped baseball. Every year MLB breaks its own previous profit record. Start spending a little.

When Wieters gets called up does not change whether or not this team will be able to resign him down the road. If he wants to go, he'll go. If he wants to stay, he'll stay.

Yes. The real problem with baseball is that the players don't make enough.

This week's Sports Illustrated includes a list of what it calls "fast-rising, eye-popping prospects" for teams not competing for the playoffs this year. Wieters is the first one mentioned. They say he could be the top prospect in 2009 and call him the Orioles version of Joe Maurer, but with better power., "who next season could be not only the Opening Day starter, but also the American League's best catcher".

In a sidebar, Tillman is metioned in a blurb.

EDIT: I just noticed it was also on their web site.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/08/14/inside.baseball/index.html

This observation from Keith Law, was interesting "Catcher Matt Wieters homered on the first pitch he saw from Eaton last night, an 84 mph nothing-ball on the outer half that Wieters spit on and sent out to left-center (the opposite field, since he was batting left-handed). Wieters, the game's top hitting prospect, has gotten significantly stronger since he was an amateur; at Georgia Tech he was wiry strong, but had room on his frame to add muscle, which he's done fairly quickly. His sheer size, not a lack of skill, might make him a little more questionable behind the plate long-term, but he looks like he's going to hit for 30-plus home run power."

Makes you wonder if he will eventually be our 1st baseman of the future.

Wieters 2-3 with a HR, 2B, a BB and 2 RBI today.

Yep, we don't need this guy up in Baltimore at all. He's not ready...

This is from Roch's blog,

When rosters expand on Sept. 1, the Orioles are looking to add a catcher, infielder and outfielder. No names have been given to us. They haven't determined how many pitchers will join the team. We do know this much: Matt Wieters isn't coming here. I've been saying that for months and months, and Trembley confirmed it again.

Wieters is expected to play in the Arizona Fall League after getting some rest, where he can catch some pitchers who might be a little more advanced. He doesn't have much more to prove with the bat.

Archived