Wieters At It Again

Lucky Jim

I don't think it makes much sense to put wear and tear on his knees outside of the major leagues. Spring Training should be it. And as was said, he doesn't need to be in the AFL for hitting, but if you want him there to learn some 1B, I wouldn't have a big problem with that - though I wouldn't be enthusiastic about it.

The only reason to play him at 1B would be if you want him to get more AB's and not wear him out. That clearly is not the case. They know his bat is ready, as is the physical part of his defense. But, there's more to calling a major league game than putting down one finger and catching the ball. It's not like playing the outfield where all you have to do is catch the ball and throw it in. I have no problem if he goes to the AFL and I like the idea of them not using a spot on the 40 man roster until it is necessary. They already lose one with the Matusz signing, no need to clear another player off the roster before you have to.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wieters finished the season today going 2-5 with a 3B and an RBI

His final line for Bowie is a ridiculous: .365/.460/.625/1.085

And total in 437 minor league ABs: .355/.454/.600/1.053 with 22 2B's, 2 3B's, 27 HR, 91 RBI and 82 BB's with only 76 K's.

This guy was clearly a man among boys in 2008 and it would be a travesty to keep him down in the minors to start 2009.

Wieters finished the season today going 2-5 with a 3B and an RBI

His final line for Bowie is a ridiculous: .365/.460/.625/1.085

And total in 437 minor league ABs: .355/.454/.600/1.053 with 22 2B's, 2, 3B's, 27 HR, 91 RBI and 82 BB's with only 76 K's.

This guy was clearly a man among boys in 2008 and it would be a travesty to keep him down in the minors to start 2009.

Ridiculous. Congrats to Wieters on an incredible professional debut. I can't wait to see him shine in the big leagues.

It would also be a travesty if he was a free agent and left the team after the 2014 season. So if they keep him in the minors for 2 weeks next year, I will have no problem with that whatsoever.

Tremendous season for Wieters. There's no queestion he'll spend most of 2009 in Baltimore. He has to be one of the favorites for Rookie of the Year going into next year.

His final line for Bowie is a ridiculous: <b> .365/.460/.625/1.085</b>

And total in 437 minor league ABs: <b>.355/.454/.600/1.053 </b> with 22 2B's, 2 3B's, 27 HR, 91 RBI and 82 BB's with only 76 K's.

Those are some truely sick (in a good way) numbers. Who do numbers like these compare to in the way of past or present Major League stars...

It would also be a travesty if he was a free agent and left the team after the 2014 season. So if they keep him in the minors for 2 weeks next year, I will have no problem with that whatsoever.

Tremendous season for Wieters. There's no queestion he'll spend most of 2009 in Baltimore. He has to be one of the favorites for Rookie of the Year going into next year.

2 weeks in April 2009 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Entire season 2015

I can't say this enough.

If the team is good enough, Wieters will want to stay just like Varitek did with the Sox. So if we want to keep Wieters we'll have to compete. I have no problem with that. If this team isn't good enough in 2014, then the Orioles don't deserve to keep him IMO. And Texas didn't make out too badly on a Teixeira trade so if we have to trade Wieters, I'm sure we could get a ransom for him.

If the team is good enough, Wieters will want to stay just like Varitek did with the Sox. So if we want to keep Wieters we'll have to compete. I have no problem with that.

And if the O's play it right he will not get to make that decision until 2016.

If the team is good enough, Wieters will want to stay just like Varitek did with the Sox. So if we want to keep Wieters we'll have to compete. I have no problem with that.

Yep. We'll have to compete, we'll have to win that competition, and we'll end up paying about $5 mm + extra for that 2015 season compared to what we'll have to pay him if we keep him in the minors next season for 2 weeks. Not exactly brilliant long-term planning if you ask me.

Those are some truely sick (in a good way) numbers. Who do numbers like these compare to in the way of past or present Major League stars...

Matt Wieters (22)(A+/AA) - .355/.454/.600/1.053

Lance Berkman (22)(AA/AAA) - .302/.418/.566/.984

Mark Teixeira (22)(A+/AA) - .318/.403/.592/.995

Albert Pujols (20)(A+/AA/AAA) - .314/.373/.543/.916

Carlos Lee (22)(AA) - .302/.349/.485/.834

Manny Ramirez (21)(AA/AAA) - .333/.419/.613/1.032

Mike Piazza (23)(AA/AAA) - .350/.412/.587/.999

Yep. We'll have to compete, we'll have to win that competition, and we'll end up paying about $5 mm + extra for that 2015 season compared to what we'll have to pay him if we keep him in the minors next season for 2 weeks. Not exactly brilliant long-term planning if you ask me.

What you do is you sign him to the biggest long term contract ever given to a rookie player, beating Longoria's deal about a month into the season. Then you've locked him up for 2-3 of his FA years. Boras wouldn't turn down a record breaking deal for a rookie.

What you do is you sign him to the biggest long term contract ever given to a rookie player, beating Longoria's deal about a month into the season. Then you've locked him up for 2-3 of his FA years. Boras wouldn't turn down a record breaking deal for a rookie.

Well, I'd offer that to him if I was the Orioles. But, of course, the Longoria deal was done after they'd first held him in the minors for the time necessary to avoid having him become a free agent after 2014. And as to whether Boras would advise his client to sign a long-term deal as a rookie, I don't know about that. He has a pretty long history of telling his players to hold out for free agency, and then getting amazing results for them.

Matt Wieters (22)(A+/AA) - .355/.454/.600/1.053

Lance Berkman (22)(AA/AAA) - .302/.418/.566/.984

Mark Teixeira (22)(A+/AA) - .318/.403/.592/.995

Albert Pujols (20)(A+/AA/AAA) - .314/.373/.543/.916

Carlos Lee (22)(AA) - .302/.349/.485/.834

Manny Ramirez (21)(AA/AAA) - .333/.419/.613/1.032

Mike Piazza (23)(AA/AAA) - .350/.412/.587/.999

That is an impressive group of players to be included in...Rep 2 you Jtrea...:clap3:

Archived