A fun couple weeks

TommyPickles

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, I didn't realize how bad Detroit is tanking this year. The offense is putrid. We better jettison Villar and Givens soon before they end up beating us out for the overall pick. :D

They have two position players with an OPS+ of 100 or better, and that even includes the guys with like 25 ABs.  Their catchers are hitting .164/.209/.281.  Their leadoff hitters have a .635 OPS.  9th place hitters a .596.

I was trying to find players they'd offload before the deadline and all I could come up with were Nick Castellanos  (Trey Mancini-esque), Matthew Boyd, and Shane Greene.  I thought the O's  had lapped the field, but the Tigers might actually be worse.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They have two position players with an OPS+ of 100 or better, and that even includes the guys with like 25 ABs.  Their catchers are hitting .164/.209/.281.  Their leadoff hitters have a .635 OPS.  9th place hitters a .596.

I was trying to find players they'd offload before the deadline and all I could come up with were Nick Castellanos  (a poor man's Trey Mancini), Matthew Boyd, and Shane Greene.  I thought the O's  had lapped the field, but the Tigers might actually be worse.

Did you see Castellanos was ripping on the park?  Think he wants out?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

No.  What, he's disappointed that they didn't put in a Greenberg Gardens so he can pad his stats?  Didn't he look up Comerica and see that it has a 101/103 park factor?   I'd trade him to the Padres.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1801015

"This park's a joke," Castellanos said, according to 97.1 The Ticket. "... How are we going to be compared to the rest of the people in the league for power numbers and OPS and slugging and all this stuff when we've got a yard out here that's 420 feet straight across to center field? We get on second base, third base, and (opposing players) looking (at us) like, 'How do you guys do this?'"

There's no reason that I hit a ball 434 feet off Anibal Sanchez and it goes in the first row. That shouldn't happen," Castellanos said, referring to a home run he hit at Comerica on June 28.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the opposing players should be too sympathetic.  They've hit 146 homers off Tigers pitching in 96 games. 

I have zero compassion for players who can't handle the ballpark they play Major League Baseball in.  Castellanos needs to forget "OPS and slugging and all this stuff" and realize everyone has moved on to park-adjusted numbers years ago.  And a 115 OPS+ with a -20 glove ain't that great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think the opposing players should be too sympathetic.  They've hit 146 homers off Tigers pitching in 96 games. 

I have zero compassion for players who can't handle the ballpark they play Major League Baseball in.  Castellanos needs to forget "OPS and slugging and all this stuff" and realize everyone has moved on to park-adjusted numbers years ago.  And a 115 OPS+ with a -20 glove ain't that great.

I thought it was hilarious.  I don't know if he's actively trying to get out of town or just not that smart.

Maybe it's both?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I thought it was hilarious.  I don't know if he's actively trying to get out of town or just not that smart.

Maybe it's both?

Oh how in God’s name did Ruth and Gehrig ever manage in Yankee Stadium with its ridiculous dimensions?

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I was trying to find players they'd offload before the deadline and all I could come up with were Nick Castellanos  (Trey Mancini-esque), Matthew Boyd, and Shane Greene.  I thought the O's  had lapped the field, but the Tigers might actually be worse.

I made a big pronouncement on the board after attending our Memorial Day win over Detroit that they were worse than we are.   I watched them play, looked at who they were putting on the field, and said they were worse than we were and would finish behind us.

Then we lost the next two games badly, Greene was dominant closing while our bullpen was horrendous, and I had to eat crow in that thread and admit that maybe I was wrong.

Now I want to go back to that thread and erase the crow-eating part.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, makoman said:

Oh, how in Gods name did Ruth and Gehrig ever manage in Yankee Stadium with its ridiculous dimensions?

45 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It was 29 feet to RF, and not a whole lot longer than 300 in the gap.  LC an CF waaaay well over 400'. Ruth and Gehrig hit lefty.

o

A better question would be how did Joe DiMaggio manage to hit 361 career home runs in only 12 seasons worth of games (13 overall) in what was an almost impossibly-constructed stadium for right-handed power hitters ???

In addition to being 296 feet down the right field line, the wall itself was only 4 feet high in that portion of the stadium.

But for right-handed batters ........ for right-handed batters it was 457 feet to left-centerfield, and 461 feet to straightaway center. 

Yankee Stadium

o

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yeah, I haven't been following them but when looked them up I was surprised at how bad they really are. Honestly, there is little doubt in my mind that the Orioles are better team than them. The only thing the Orioles have going for them is they have to play the AL East and the Tigers get the AL Central, which outside of the Twins and Indians are pretty bad.

9 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

A better question would be how did Joe DiMaggio manage to hit 361 career home runs in only 12 seasons worth of games (13 overall) in what was an almost impossibly-constructed stadium for right-handed power hitters ???

In addition to being 296 feet down the right field line, the wall itself was only 4 feet high in that portion of the stadium.

But for right-handed batters ........ for right-handed batters it was 457 feet to left-centerfield, and 461 feet to straightaway center. 

Yankee Stadium

o

DiMaggio had 148 homers at Yankee Stadium, but 213 on the road.  Fenway was/is kind of a less extreme mirror image of that if you ignore wall heights, so that's why people often mused about swapping Ted Williams (batted left) and DiMaggio.

And Yankee Stadium wasn't even that crazy for the era.  Fences came about to mark the boundary of the property in the 1800s.  Braves Field in Boston in some configurations had fences over 500' from the plate.  Griffith Stadium in DC was 402 down the LF line.  Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium in Philly was basically a square with one point being the 471' sign in center.  Of course the Polo Grounds was a little over 250' down the lines and around 500' to center with a 60' or 80' clubhouse wall that was in play.  No one ever even hit the clubhouse wall on the fly, much less clear it.

When the Orioles moved into Memorial Stadium it was 445' to the hedges in center, and that just cut straight across for something like 100'.  In those deep gaps it had to be over 450', and it was 405' to the LC/RC gaps.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Yankee Stadium

o

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

DiMaggio had 148 homers at Yankee Stadium, but 213 on the road.  Fenway was/is kind of a less extreme mirror image of that if you ignore wall heights, so that's why people often mused about swapping Ted Williams (batted left) and DiMaggio.

And Yankee Stadium wasn't even that crazy for the era.  Fences came about to mark the boundary of the property in the 1800s.  Braves Field in Boston in some configurations had fences over 500' from the plate.  Griffith Stadium in DC was 402 down the LF line.  Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium in Philly was basically a square with one point being the 471' sign in center.  Of course the Polo Grounds was a little over 250' down the lines and around 500' to center with a 60' or 80' clubhouse wall that was in play.  No one ever even hit the clubhouse wall on the fly, much less clear it.

When the Orioles moved into Memorial Stadium it was 445' to the hedges in center, and that just cut straight across for something like 100'.  In those deep gaps it had to be over 450', and it was 405' to the LC/RC gaps.

o

Thanks.

That's still a lot of home runs in a relatively short career playing in a stadium that was heavily stacked against right-handed batters. To me, that's more intriguing than left-handed batters (such as Ruth, Maris, and Gehrig) with through-the-roof home run numbers, all of whom had a significantly shorter home run porch at the right end of that stadium's wall (although after the home run porch ended at the 344-foot mark, the distance did significantly jut deeper when the wall went into right-centerfield.

Maris said that he was proud of the fact that he hit more home runs on the road (31) than he did at home (30) in his record-breaking season of 1961, when some pointed toward his advantage of Yankee Stadium's right-field home run porch for left-handed batters such as himself.

o