A fun couple weeks

TommyPickles

Will be interesting to see if they can finish the season on a high note. The way it started, I figured late July/August would be absolutely atrocious.  

I'm cool with not having the 1:1 in 2020 if it means some young players have stepped up and identified themselves as pieces that could contribute to the future.  And if the number of boneheaded defensive and baserunning plays go down, too.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

And hey, still tied for the #1 pick with Detroit. ;) 

Detroit now has a worse run differential (-189) than the Orioles (-184). To put how much worse those two teams have been than others into perspective, Seattle is third worst at -109.

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Detroit now has a worse run differential (-189) than the Orioles (-184). To put how much worse those two teams have been than others into perspective, Seattle is third worst at -109.

Seattle got off to a super hot start, I think some of us wondered if we'd have a stretch like that this year.  I didn't think we'd have a .500 or better extended stretch but I was wrong.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Seattle got off to a super hot start, I think some of us wondered if we'd have a stretch like that this year.  I didn't think we'd have a .500 or better extended stretch but I was wrong.

The trade deadline will change things again most likely, but ignoring that, the question I have is whether Elias is slowly adding the right mix to make this a semi-competitive team. I'm not saying a team that plays .550 baseball or anything, but you have to wonder if this team (as currently constructed with maybe a couple of decent promotions) could play between .400-.450 baseball the rest of the way.

I actually assume the answer to that question is no because I expect the pitching to regress again, but there aren't a lot of terrible players in the mix of Villar, Mancini, Nunez, Sisco, Severino, Santander, Stewart and Alberto. Martin and Ruiz are still what they are, and our CF is not going to be really good unless they promote Hays, but these guys can put up a fight on the right nights.

• Upvote 1

And a 9-9 record over that 18-game stretch. Crush is again starting to stir ever so slightly. I’m encouraged.

While the Left Coast historically hasn’t been kind to us in recent years, I’m optimistic the guys can keep this spark of momentum going. Frankly, I'm looking forward to some payback at Chase after the debacle out there 6 years ago. (I know we got revenge on 'em in '16 at OPACY, but still.)

I’d say that this team would be a whale of a spoiler come September, but after a mid-month series with LAD, it’s nothing but tankers the rest of the way save for the final series in Boston. And who knows; if they continue to stumble along, by that time the Sox may have packed it up and packed it in themselves.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

The Os have outscored opponents, 96-80 over their last 18 games.

I believe the correct count is 97-90.

Its interesting, our pitching has alternated between throwing very good games and some real clunkers.   In the 9 wins we allowed a total of 13 runs.    In the 9 losses we allowed 77 runs.   The offense has been a little more consistent, 74 runs in the wins and 23 in the losses.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

And hey, still tied for the #1 pick with Detroit. ;) 

Wow, I didn't realize how bad Detroit is tanking this year. The offense is putrid. We better jettison Villar and Givens soon before they end up beating us out for the overall pick. :D

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, I didn't realize how bad Detroit is tanking this year. The offense is putrid. We better jettison Villar and Givens soon before they end up beating us out for the overall pick. :D

Anyone got any insights on the 2020 draft?  Is there a huge #1 pick like in 2019?