Not a lot of room on next years 40 man roster

wildcard

4 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

You keep Bleier but not Ynoa?

I can see your point when it comes to age.  However Bleier has a 2.86 career ERA and he did well for three seasons before this one.   Ynoa has a 5.30 career ERA.     I might chance my mind depending on performance before the season is finished.   

But you are making my point that the 40 man roster doesn't have a lot of room on it.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The third catcher doesn't need to be on the 40 man.  Guys like Sucre and Carlos Perez, not to mention Wynn's, can be signed to minor league deals.  

Sucre is being paid 850k and that is why he is still with the O's.   Tell him to sign a minor league contract this off season and he is gone.   Perez is not a very good defensive catcher.   Not  someone I think would be a backup catcher for the majors. He is doing a good job mentoring the pitchers at AA.   

Could Wynns pass through waivers and sign a minor league contract?   Maybe but he would certainly look around at other teams first.   With Sisco, Severino and Rutschman all ahead of him he may pick another team to join.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is Rutschman ahead of Wynns?  O's would be a great team to sign with for any AAAA catcher.  Only Severino and Sisco and injury away from the majors.

If they can get a good catcher who has MLB experience  to play at AAA on a minor league contract then fine.  But they might need a MLB contract to get one.

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The third catcher doesn't need to be on the 40 man.  Guys like Sucre and Carlos Perez, not to mention Wynn's, can be signed to minor league deals.  

Yes, if someone wants to put Wynns on their roster, Perez and Sucre are more than capable.

6 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

You think David Hess, Branden Kline, Cody Carroll, and DSJ will all be on the 40 man roster next year? 

I notice you seem to care about less than 3 months of MLB experience (small sample sizes) when determining who should be on the roster.  Why arent you advocating for the release of Ortiz, Tate, Martin, and Ruiz as well.

Oops.  I see that's already been advocated.

You replace a guy when you find a clearly better player.  But I would contend that unless you are spending too much money in free agency and you have a good understanding of what a player is (i.e. a decent enough sample size - which we don't on most of these players) then you are just making moves to make moves.

Player development is not an assembly line, it's an iterative process.

2 hours ago, orioles22 said:

Yes, if someone wants to put Wynns on their roster, Perez and Sucre are more than capable.

Is that why Sucre was DFA'ed so Wynns could come up and why Perez was demoted from AAA to AA?

Sisco might not even stay as a catcher going into next season. 

As people have said, you need that 3rd catcher.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Is that why Sucre was DFA'ed so Wynns could come up and why Perez was demoted from AAA to AA?

Sisco might not even stay as a catcher going into next season. 

As people have said, you need that 3rd catcher.

I've said it before, if he isn't a catcher I don't think he's a ML player.

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

50/50. If he ever shows the bat he did in the minors before AAA, he could be valuable. If he shows that AAA this season was just a fluke/extended hot streak, then yeah....

I don't think he has the bat to stick at 1b/dh and I think if they thought he could play at second or third they have at least attempted it by now. 

8 hours ago, LookinUp said:

That's 12 of your 40. We can argue over the list, but there's plenty of opportunity for improvements.

Would consider cutting...

Starters (1)

6 . Sedlock (unlikely)  (24 years old)

Relievers (6)

12 Tanner Scott (24)

13. Kline (27)

14. Hess (25)

18. Ortiz (23)

19. Carroll   (26)

20. Alvarado  (24)

Infielders/DH (3)

24.Davis  I guess you are paying out his contract because I don't see Angelos  is doing it.

30. Rondon (25)

32.  Ruiz   (25)

Outfielders (2)

39. Smith  (26)

40.  Mullins (24)

Not giving the young players much time to develop. Ages as of July 1st 2019.