Roch: "I don't expect Villar back with the O's in 2020."

wildcard

(paraphrased)

Roch was on Wall to Wall  Baseball today and made this comment.  We have talked about that some on the OH.   He said Villar was very available in July and he does not think the O's will want to pay his salary next year.  He did not say if the O's would non tender or trade him.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

(paraphrased)

Roch was on Wall to Wall  Baseball today and made this comment.  We have talked about that some on the OH.   He said Villar was very available in July and he does not think the O's will want to pay his salary next year.  He did not say if the O's would non tender or trade him.

Once the offseason starts it's very hard to trade someone when it's common knowledge he will be non-tendered.   We were able to trade Jason Johnson rather than non-tender him... we got Jemile Weeks.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Roch said he was "very available".  That sounds like he would have accepted anything of value.

True maybe teams just didn't want him

I'm still kind of surprised the Cubs and Giants went for Kemp and Gennet to fill their infield spots over him though.

43 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Which is why I would have traded him for literally anything of value.  No sense in letting a guy walk for nothing when you're not trying to win

I would have paid half the salary and taken a PTBNL...no matter how poor the player. 

33 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah but we couldn't get anything back.  It would mean we simply DFA'd him when there's really no reason to.

Save some salary -- good enough reason for a 100-loss team that is not planning to have Villar on the roster next year.

40 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah but we couldn't get anything back.  It would mean we simply DFA'd him when there's really no reason to.

I know. Another team could let them know they would claim him and the Orioles can at least save some money.  

Who do we have that's a better option than Villar? I guess Alberto would take over at second? If we let Martin go, who takes over at SS? I don't see how we can just let Villar and Martin walk after the season. I would offer Villar a reasonable two year deal, but if it goes to arb, no way I would pay 7-8M a year for him.

11 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Who do we have that's a better option than Villar? I guess Alberto would take over at second? If we let Martin go, who takes over at SS? I don't see how we can just let Villar and Martin walk after the season. I would offer Villar a reasonable two year deal, but if it goes to arb, no way I would pay 7-8M a year for him.

Wilkerson is actually his second baseman, he’ll just take over there. That would actually be a pretty strong defense of middle infield, although Heaven help the batting average…

Just now, Philip said:

Wilkerson is actually his second baseman, he’ll just take over there. That would actually be a pretty strong defense of middle infield, although Heaven help the batting average…

Wilkerson is a downgrade from Villar, though. His OPS is almost 100 points lower and it doesn't seem like Wilkerson is any improvement defensively either. Just seems like there's no real benefit to not bring him back if he can be brought back on a reasonable deal. People seem to want Martin gone as well. It just doesn't make any sense. It's not like we're brimming with infielders at Norfolk banging down the door. Villar is at least decent and is an everyday player. Wilkerson, to this point, has not shown the ability to be anything more than a bench player. I like Stevie, but it doesn't seem like he's that good.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wilkerson isn’t an infielder. We can do better than him with very little effort.