Roch: "I don't expect Villar back with the O's in 2020."

wildcard

I hope he's back next year. He makes mistakes, but man is he exciting and acting like all he does is make mistakes with no redeeming qualities whatsoever is a pretty myopic assessment of him. I hope to see him back in 2020. He's aggressive. Alberto has three straight arb years, but I'd like him to stick around as well.

Just now, Sessh said:

I hope he's back next year. He makes mistakes, but man is he exciting and acting like all he does is make mistakes with no redeeming qualities whatsoever is a pretty myopic assessment of him. I hope to see him back in 2020. He's aggressive. Alberto has three straight arb years, but I'd like him to stick around as well.

Good thing no one is saying he has no redeeming qualities.

• Thanks 1

Only the 5th Baltimore Oriole (modern era) to hit for the cycle and I believe only the 3rd player to do it at Camden Yards (I believe a visiting player has still never done it, which seems crazy with some of the pitching and defense we've had over the years. Then again Camden Yards is decidedly not a triples park.)

2 minutes ago, TGO said:

Only the 5th Baltimore Oriole (modern era) to hit for the cycle and I believe only the 3rd player to do it at Camden Yards (I believe a visiting player has still never done it, which seems crazy with some of the pitching and defense we've had over the years. Then again Camden Yards is decidedly not a triples park.)

Can't hit for the cycle if you never stop hitting dongs.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Unless it's We Didn't Start The Fire, I'm not into Billy Joel.  

Oh my god, that's the exception for you!? The first time I heard that song, I was in Ireland and thought, "Wow, these Europeans are people are so backwards-ass musically. They sound like they are trying to make a Billy Joel song but by rapping instead of singing. Even the American cultural touchstones in the lyrics are superficial and trite.

It warmed my heart a little when WXPN included it in the Top 5 of their "Worst Songs of All Time."

39 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Oh, how I wish that one of the other 29 GMs could have seen Villar's redeeming qualities and traded for him. Maybe all they needed was...

Image result for magnifying glass

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good thing no one is saying he has no redeeming qualities.

Some people are coming pretty close to saying that.   They think his mistakes and sloppy play make him the equivalent of Tim Beckham Jr.    Which is utterly ridiculous if you compare the two.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Some people are coming pretty close to saying that.   They think his mistakes and sloppy play make him the equivalent of Tim Beckham Jr.    Which is utterly ridiculous if you compare the two.  

Villar has been nothing but class here. He wants to be here. The combo of not trading him and the offense clicking, has made me really want him back next year. 

Villar has now played just over one full season (166 games) with the O’s: .264/.332/.423, 102 runs scored, 23 HR, 75 RBI, 45 SB with 9 CS.     That adds up to 3.2 rWAR.       He’s played every single game since he arrived in Baltimore.  I’d happily take that from my 2B year in and year out.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Sessh said:

One game doesn't make him a better player. His poor defense and poor OBP are two big non redeeming qualities and probably the reason why no other teams were interested in him before the trade deadline. If he was hitting 40+ HRs then maybe it's something you can tolerate, but he's not. At his best he's basically Tim Anderson who's also not a very good player. 

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think he gets tendered and traded in the offseason. 

I sure hope so. I'm just not sure they'll be a market for him. Gennett and Kendrick are both FAs this season. I'm guessing most GMs would prioritize both of them over Villar, unless they're desperate for SBs.