Why did Davis go after Hyde? He was not happy.

Snutchy

You could give Hyde the benefit of the doubt here and just chalk it up to frustration, but Hyde shows some generally poor leadership qualities. From his post-game pressers and now to this, it just reeks of bravado.

This team is awful, we all know that. But my goodness, Hyde pales in comparison to true leaders like Buck.

The thing about that Davis situation, what do you gain by saying crap that is sure to spark a response in front of the cameras? Unless Hyde truly has tried everything with Davis and just lost it, but even still. It just doesn’t come across well.

Even when Buck had an awful team, I’ve never seen this. I thought Trembley was a so-so leader, but Hyde makes him look like Buck in comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

You could give Hyde the benefit of the doubt here and just chalk it up to frustration, but Hyde shows some generally poor leadership qualities. From his post-game pressers and now to this, it just reeks of bravado.

This team is awful, we all know that. But my goodness, Hyde pales in comparison to true leaders like Buck.

The thing about that Davis situation, what do you gain by saying crap that is sure to spark a response in front of the cameras? Unless Hyde truly has tried everything with Davis and just lost it, but even still. It just doesn’t come across well.

Even when Buck had an awful team, I’ve never seen this. I thought Trembley was a so-so leader, but Hyde makes him look like Buck in comparison.

Somehow Buck is now the paragon of what it means to be a good manager? I feel like I live on a different planet to some people.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

What specifically do you mean?  Are there other instances you're thinking of? Is it just the comment about the pitching? Earl Weaver was a pretty successful leader by any measure but no one would accuse  him of having a good check on his temper.  

He's probably referring to his talking about how bad the umpiring was in his Monday postgame and how bad our pitching is in his Tuesday night postgame.  Both 100% true but most managers are not that open and blunt.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'll take Hyde giving criticism instead of the usual bullsh*t of "I like my guys" despite them under performing and giving little effort.

• Upvote 3

Somebody on mlbtraderumors wrote that Hyde was never in any danger because if Davis has swung at him he would have missed.  Another guy wrote that most umpires punch Davis out at least once or twice a night.  Wish I could take credit for these but I can't.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Somehow Buck is now the paragon of what it means to be a good manager? I feel like I live on a different planet to some people.

Buck was an excellent manager.    Three time manager of the year, including for us in 2014.     Love the guy.   

That said, his time here was over, and I’m very satisfied with the job Hyde is doing under very difficult circumstances.     The positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin IMO.     He’s not perfect, and neither was Buck or any manager.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Buck was an excellent manager.    Three time manager of the year, including for us in 2014.     Love the guy.   

That said, his time here was over, and I’m very satisfied with the job Hyde is doing under very difficult circumstances.     The positives outweigh the negatives by a wide margin IMO.     He’s not perfect, and neither was Buck or any manager.  

He was a great manager for the type of team that we were, I just never wanted us to be driven by that old school mentality.

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Did anyone post this?

Evidently Smash Mouth has an opinion.

Someone needs to shut up and sing All Star.

I was going to try to make an Every Morning reference but then I found out that was Sugar Ray and not Smashmouth. 

I'm so embarrassed.

7 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

He was a great manager for the type of team that we were, I just never wanted us to be driven by that old school mentality.

Buck actually made some strides from the days when he was canned by TX and AZ. He used to be overbearing and it ran thin on many of the guys he managed. By the time he got to Baltimore he had some years in between to reflect and be a little looser in the clubhouse (ping pong and setting up O’Day on camera come to mind). 

Buck changed the culture and I’ll always appreciate how he turned things around in relatively short order, but the loyalty thing with the vets (including Davis last year and allegedly campaigning for the contract) just had run its course. Not to mention potentially one of the biggest managing blunders in a playoff game ever.

I don’t know if Hyde is just a placeholder and I don’t agree with some of what he’s done, but putting Davis in his place if he threw something or making the comment after Davis threw something AFTER a lackadaisical defensive effort does nothing to diminish him in my view.

4 hours ago, Spl51 said:

Buck was a great manager.  Unfortunately for him, evolution also selects for adaptability.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don’t remember much about the Coolbaugh episode. 

Davis says he spent a lot of time in the 2017-18 winter offseason meeting with and working with then hitting coach Scott Coolbaugh on trying to improve.   We all basically believed it.

Midway through the 2018 season, in a telecast, Jim Palmer says he talked to Scott Coolbaugh and Coolbaugh basically said he didn't work with Davis at all during the previous offseason.

5 hours ago, Spl51 said:

I used leader, not manager. That said, Hyde is hard to assess as an in game manager because, well, he’s fielding a AAA team. Basically he’s a warm body, but I don’t dig the machismo. Give me Buck’s demeanor any time over this nonsense.