Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, atomic said:

I have been to Nashville several times and it seems strange to be a top place to retire to.  More likely they are talking about low taxes and cost of living than a place where anyone would actually like to retire. 

No state income tax

No inheritance tax

No tax on SS benefits

Major Universities, with major medical schools (Vanderbilt)

Easy Access to Smokey Mountains

Multiple large lakes for boating provided by Tennessee Valley Authority

Major center for live music

Low cost of living

NFL, NHL, MLB(?)

12 minutes ago, esmd said:

I can't believe we're still talking about this ridiculous non-story on a site that regularly throws around the term "Hangout Worthy."  This garbage rumor is the very definition of not being "Hangout Worthy."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2019/08/13/despite-the-rumors-orioles-will-almost-assuredly-remain-in-baltimore/amp/

Exactly, it's a BS story.  Complete and utter nonsense.  Hot garbage put out by a fringe newspaper that has zero credibility IMO.  Nothing to see here, move along.  But then I come here, and see posts about "Nashville Notes."  SMH.

• Downvote 1

But upon further review, only one of these rumors seems plausible. The other is most assuredly not.

Peter Angelos has owned the club since 1993, when he beat Jeffrey Loria for the bankruptcy purchase of the club for $173 million. (Loria would go on to own the Montreal Expos, and later the Marlins.) Since then, the club has gained considerable value—the most recent Forbes valuation places them at $1.3 billion, an inflation-adjusted increase of 323%—regardless of the team’s moribund showing in the standings over most of his ownership tenure. With Angelos now 90 and in failing health, his family has taken over the day-to-day operations. While his wife, Georgia, would be the successor, his sons, John and Lou, have been running the club

from the Forbes article from my previous post

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

But upon further review, only one of these rumors seems plausible. The other is most assuredly not.

Peter Angelos has owned the club since 1993, when he beat Jeffrey Loria for the bankruptcy purchase of the club for $173 million. (Loria would go on to own the Montreal Expos, and later the Marlins.) Since then, the club has gained considerable value—the most recent Forbes valuation places them at $1.3 billion, an inflation-adjusted increase of 323%—regardless of the team’s moribund showing in the standings over most of his ownership tenure. With Angelos now 90 and in failing health, his family has taken over the day-to-day operations. While his wife, Georgia, would be the successor, his sons, John and Lou, have been running the club

from the Forbes article from my previous post

While it is true that the lease expires relatively soon, no club can relocate out of its local market without a process. Whether that’s the Orioles or another team—as with the Tampa Bay Rays’ current situation, the Montreal Expos when they relocated or other potential movers, such as the A’s or the Diamondbacks—baseball executives confirmed to me that simply picking up and moving cannot occur, and no club can speak to any other market about formally relocating without it being vetted. 

That process includes a request-for-proposal-type process in which a relocation committee is assembled to examine the potential move. Should the market supply the requisite pieces to host the club (land acquisition, funding and development of a ballpark, regional television deal, etc.), then the committee would recommend whether the move can go forward to a vote of the other 29 MLB owners. Should 75% of the owners vote in favor of the move, relocation can then occur.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sammy Seagull said:

I understand a deal behind closed doors have the team being sold to a Nashville Investment group as soon as 2020/21. One team name being batted around is the "Nashville Notes". The group sounds like it has deep pockets and eager to make a deal. MLB in turn has promised to return a team to OPACY by 2025 by a two team expansion plan, with the second team going to Vegas. 

Opinions (with out sources) are like (rhymes with glass trolls). Everyone has one. Cite a source or crawl back into your cave of wild speculation. 

Michael Frenz, executive director for the Maryland Stadium Authority, said discussions with the Orioles on a new lease remain ongoing.

"Our working relationship with the O's is excellent and we are both working on concepts to expand revenues from the Oriole Park facilities," Frenz said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/08/12/an-orioles-move-to-nashville-has-been-rooted-for.amp.html

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Michael Frenz, executive director for the Maryland Stadium Authority, said discussions with the Orioles on a new lease remain ongoing.

"Our working relationship with the O's is excellent and we are both working on concepts to expand revenues from the Oriole Park facilities," Frenz said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/news/2019/08/12/an-orioles-move-to-nashville-has-been-rooted-for.amp.html

Here’s a concept: try putting a good team on the field.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think I must be in the minority or clueless.

I don't see the Orioles leaving Baltimore.

Have they kicked the tires, maybe, probably?

But, at the end of the day, I see them staying here.

Huh? I think most of don't think they are going anywhere.

20 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think that has to happen.  That's just what some teams have done, and I think that's wrong.  The St. Louis Browns have no history in Baltimore.  There's no George Sisler statue here, and not one in 1000 Oriole fans could tell you who Harlond Clift or Kenny Williams were. If the Orioles moved to Nashville they certainly should have another name.  Orioles belongs to Baltimore and has for well over a century.  If they allowed some Nashville team to be called the Orioles I think I'd be done with MLB for good.

The community gets the history, no matter what some company like Major League Baseball or one of its franchises thinks.  No matter what anybody says Andre Dawson and Rusty Staub have absolutely no connection to the Nats, and Wilbert Robinson never managed the LA Dodgers.  Connie Mack isn't part of Oakland or Kansas City.  And Frank Howard and Walter Johnson have nothing to do with Minneapolis or Texas.  The place and the time and the people who remember things own it, not MLB or Peter Angelos or Bob Short or anybody else.

If the O's move to Nashville the people of Baltimore and Maryland own the Orioles' history.  Nobody else.

Yep. this is one of the reasons I hate the Indianapolis Colts for so long. Art Modell did it the right way by leaving the colors and history with the city for when they got another team. 

The Colts should have always been known as the Baltimore Colts, and the Orioles should always be known as the Baltimore Orioles. The NFL continues to screw the pooch with allowing these franchises to move the names and colors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esmd said:

I can't believe we're still talking about this ridiculous non-story on a site that regularly throws around the term "Hangout Worthy."  This garbage rumor is the very definition of not being "Hangout Worthy."

7, 500 views and 100s of posts would disagree with you. Not sure why you and couple others are so upset over this. This is what message boards are for, and there's a lot of great information that has been provided by many posters. Few of us believe this is going to happen, but it has turned into a great thread besides a few nonsensical posts questioning why we are talking about this and the poster who apparently hates John Angelos' wife and country music for whatever reason. Heck, Redskins Rick even re-emerged from his self imposed post retirement vacation to rejoin us in this thread.

The best thing about message boards is that you can see a topic you don't like, and scroll on by the one you do. May I recommend that way forward the next time you and a couple others decide to lecture us on what's Hangout worthy to discuss or not.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yep. this is one of the reasons I hate the Indianapolis Colts for so long. Art Modell did it the right way by leaving the colors and history with the city for when they got another team. 

The Colts should have always been known as the Baltimore Colts, and the Orioles should always be known as the Baltimore Orioles. The NFL continues to screw the pooch with allowing these franchises to move the names and colors. 

I do not believe the NFL doesn't have an antitrust exemption, like MLB does, and that's why we have seen more NFL teams move than MLB.

8 hours ago, atomic said:

I have been to Nashville several times and it seems strange to be a top place to retire to.  More likely they are talking about low taxes and cost of living than a place where anyone would actually like to retire.

Daily cost of living certainly. not to mention that real estate prices are a half to a third of those in places like LA, San Francisco, NY, etc.  Middle Tennessee is also known for having excellent health care.  One other thing: this part of the country is conservative both socially and politically and that environment is increasingly showing  up as a draw for people of retirement age.  Moving here is not strange at all when you look at it from the perspective of someone older.