Nashville Orioles???

Tony-OH

49 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Tennessee has an income tax on dividends and interest income.

Also one of the highest state tax in the country in Nashville at 9.25%.They also tax all food at a grocery store unlike almost all states.Think it is 5% but not totally sure.

Slight correction.  A tax on investment income only over a certain amount per year.  I forget the exact number since I have not lived there for quite a number of years.  But it is pretty generous, before a person incurs any state income tax.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is John Angelos’ Wife. 

Imagine. A wealthy couple who can afford multiple homes. She is a singer and songwriter. Look at the Friday night concerts. Coincidence? Of course not. 

I hear they have a winter cabin in the Catskill Mountains. Maybe the Orioles will move there instead. 

Somebody should tweet at her that her singing sucks and country is the worst genre of music.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, weams said:

So you had not heard that John wishes to sell the Orioles?  There is another shoe to drop and lots will happen when it does. 

All I remember that stood out is that I had heard he loved Nashville, saw it as an up and coming place and wanted to move the Os there.  

As other posters have said its not his call since he does not technically own the team and there are other obstacles - just what I know based on his desires which he shared with a few folks.

58 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

Slight correction.  A tax on investment income only over a certain amount per year.  I forget the exact number since I have not lived there for quite a number of years.  But it is pretty generous, before a person incurs any state income tax.

Yes $1,250 for a single taxpayer and $2,500.00   for a  couple.Plus under $37,000 in income or over 65 ,you are exempt.Plus the Hall Tax will be gone after 2022. Ok,too much baseball talk.Now back to our regular programming. 

5 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Tennessee has an income tax on dividends and interest income.

Also one of the highest state tax in the country in Nashville at 9.25%.They also tax all food at a grocery store unlike almost all states.Think it is 5% but not totally sure.

4% for groceries.  Prepared food is taxed at regular sales tax rates which, as you point out, is relatively high compared to most other states. .  There is no state tax per se, but sales tax is 7% and there is additional local tax.  Davidson County (Nashville) adds an extra 2.25%; Williamson County where I live is at the top with a cumulative 9.75%.  Nonetheless, as a refugee from Southern California, I'll take Tennessee tax rates any day.

Growth in this area borders on overheated, but I remain unconvinced that Nashville is a fertile landing spot for any major league baseball team, Orioles or otherwise, in the near future.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Nashville is on my top 5 list for cities to retire to , so from a purely selfish perspective it would be a good thing.

I hope it never happens.

I thought Millennials didn't like baseball, the problem is baseball is dying as a spectator sport, and Baltimore is barely gasping as a liveable city.

I have been to Nashville several times and it seems strange to be a top place to retire to.  More likely they are talking about low taxes and cost of living than a place where anyone would actually like to retire.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:40 PM, survivedc said:

100%. I often lump Locust Point and Fed together for simplicity but LP is definitely unique. Was over there a few weeks ago and was blown away by the amount of young families with kids I saw out and about.

Yeah but they move when the kids hit kindergarten age.

5 hours ago, atomic said:

I have been to Nashville several times and it seems strange to be a top place to retire to.  More likely they are talking about low taxes and cost of living than a place where anyone would actually like to retire.

It seems to me that there are a lot of people who plan their retirement destination more on minimizing taxes than on where they'd actually enjoy living.  Maybe if I were in different circumstances with more of a worry about my retirement income I'd be more like that, but as it stands state tax rates have approximately zero bearing on what I'm going to do when I retire.  I fail to understand how a few hundred dollars a month would make anyone move to Tennessee and live a 10 hour drive from all your family and friends.

I understand a deal behind closed doors have the team being sold to a Nashville Investment group as soon as 2020/21. One team name being batted around is the "Nashville Notes". The group sounds like it has deep pockets and eager to make a deal. MLB in turn has promised to return a team to OPACY by 2025 by a two team expansion plan, with the second team going to Vegas. 

• Downvote 1

13 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Somebody should tweet at her that her singing sucks and country is the worst genre of music.

Really? I just don’t know what to say about this post. As someone who spent 12 years in the music business, I’ve listened to all kinds of music. Some I have really liked and some not so much. But, I appreciate the creative ability of the artist. 

If you don’t like country music then why stay and listen? Wasn’t the whole idea of the series woman in county music?

So if you don’t like country don’t partake!

finally, have a little class or grow up!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sammy Seagull said:

I understand a deal behind closed doors have the team being sold to a Nashville Investment group as soon as 2020/21. One team name being batted around is the "Nashville Notes". The group sounds like it has deep pockets and eager to make a deal. MLB in turn has promised to return a team to OPACY by 2025 by a two team expansion plan, with the second team going to Vegas. 

I would think they could also buy the Rays or As which would be easier to move.

Also part of the value of the Orioles is owning MASN. That deal obviously needs to be resolved. But it’s a valuable asset they would ultimately be giving up by relocating.