Roch: Pitching In

weams

1 hour ago, LA2 said:

Wow, there's more in that one interview with Brocail than the whole last decade of O's pitching coaches combined. Not just about pitching in, but long-term goals, off-season routines, Means' future in the rebuild, and more. Very impressed. No doubt he is frustrated and is determined to get through to the young pitchers' minds.

I think he's great. He'll give you some quotes! Not entirely sure if he's a great coach, but they seem to like him.

With these quotes, he's pretty much saying "well I'm coaching but they ain't listening". Which is probably true in some respects, but they probably all just aren't talented enough to pitch inside. That's not an easy thing to do. I recall the same spiel from Mazzone about pitching low and away. He was also frustrated. But more of a jerk than Brocail. 

Is there anything new here?? First pitch strike, use all 17 inches of the plate not only the outside 8.5. Pound them in and in. Hasn't Palmer preached it for decades. You can't be afraid of hitting batters. It seems sometimes pitchers are trying to go inside and leave it in the middle. It's really Pitching 101 for the professional. Ask Don Drysdale!!

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Wow, there's more in that one interview with Brocail than the whole last decade of O's pitching coaches combined. Not just about pitching in, but long-term goals, off-season routines, Means' future in the rebuild, and more. Very impressed. No doubt he is frustrated and is determined to get through to the young pitchers' minds.

Wow is right!  That sounded to me like an indictment of not only some on the pitching staff, but also the catchers.  

6 minutes ago, esmd said:

Wow is right!  That sounded to me like an indictment of not only some on the pitching staff, but also the catchers.  

He didn't discuss why he hasn't been able to fix any of it in more than 2/3 of a season. Sounds like a guy making excuses for coaching a pitching staff that produces exceptionally bad results..

• Upvote 1

I don’t under stand pitching sequencing very well? Why is it important to start with a fastball? Especially when they are almost always expecting fastball? And especially when the fastball isn’t your best pitch? 

What is the fundamental problem with using an off-speed pitch as your first pitch?

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Brocail sounds a little frustrated.    I think he’s the most vulnerable of our coaches to being replaced.  It’s a lousy staff, but 5.91 ERA?

And very few improvements from the guys from last year. Hess,Castro ,Bleier.. Straily imploded when he was here. i can see some regression but most have gotten worse. 

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

And very few improvements from the guys from last year. Hess,Castro ,Bleier.. Straily imploded when he was here. i can see some regression but most have gotten worse. 

Cashner pitched well under Brocail, then went to Boston and sucked eggs. Maybe the other pitchers aren't as coachable or haven't bought in to what he's selling.

The oldtimers had no problem backing hitters off the plate or worse, but since political correctness has taken over, if they look crosseyed at the batter, they  get a warning.    The radio announcers back then would  say something like. man he stuck it in his ear on that pitch.   And of course. if the hitter was real good as many were, they would not be intimidated by the high inside pitch, and would hit the next pitch out of the park.  All of that drama has long since been taken out of the game of baseball.  No comparison.  

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How many pitching coaches have we been through? Brocail sounds like a decent coach and pretty good guy.  The light bulb goes on at different times for each player.  It's not the coaching. It's the players.  How many pitchers on this staff have actually had success in AAA?   

I think he should get another year but reading this gives me some pause. Orioles are second to last in strikeouts. See next year and hopefully with Cobb back and a few better pitchers on the staff maybe better results. 

Perhaps the most troubling statistic from Brocail’s time in Texas is how many batters his staff struck out. In each of his three seasons, the Rangers ranked last in the MLB in strikeouts per nine innings. That included a 2017 mark of 6.9. The trend in baseball is moving quickly towards more strikeouts; the MLB average last season was 8.48. That number has rapidly increased. It is concerning that Brocail’s pitchers have not followed that trend.

he Dallas media did not look on Brocail’s tenure favorably. When writing about the Rangers’ decision to move on from Brocail in November, Dallas Morning News’ reporter Evan Grant saidthat “he was brought in to help implement then-manager Jeff Banister’s determination to pitch more inside and with an edge. Though the Rangers won the AL West in 2016, the pitching performance has, statistically-speaking, been an abject failure over the last three seasons.” Grant cites the fact that those poor numbers were posted despite having Cole Hamels and Yu Darvishon the roster for much of his tenure.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2019/1/18/18187490/doug-brocail-pitching-coach-baltimore-orioles-mlb-rangers

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

The oldtimers had no problem backing hitters off the plate or worse, but since political correctness has taken over, if they look crosseyed at the batter, they  get a warning.    The radio announcers back then would  say something like. man he stuck it in his ear on that pitch.   And of course. if the hitter was real good as many were, they would not be intimidated by the high inside pitch, and would hit the next pitch out of the park.  All of that drama has long since been taken out of the game of baseball.  No comparison.  

Image result for old man yells at cloud

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1