Extending Home Grown vs FA

Frobby

So when he signs for 4/$100, 5/$120, or even 6/$140 with someone else are you still going to blast PA for not stepping up?

I really don't understand why anyone thinks Hamilton is going to get a contract for > $20 mm/yr. Per fangraphs, he has had exactly one season where he was worth more than that, and that was in 2010. With Hamilton's checkered history, I don't see why any team would pay more than $20 mm/yr even on a 4 year deal. But, maybe some team will prove me wrong.

I really don't understand why anyone thinks Hamilton is going to get a contract for > $20 mm/yr. Per fangraphs, he has had exactly one season where he was worth more than that, and that was in 2010. With Hamilton's checkered history, I don't see why any team would pay more than $20 mm/yr even on a 4 year deal. But, maybe some team will prove me wrong.

I've stated this multiple times that I've been pro sign a big bat. I really wanted Prince. I really wanted Adam Dunn. The reason why I have been anti spend big money this offseason is because I don't want Hamilton. I don't want Hamilton because I think he is going to get paid. I think he gets a fairly large contract.

So when he signs for 4/$100, 5/$120, or even 6/$140 with someone else are you still going to blast PA for not stepping up?

Two points:

1) I won't be "blasting" anyone because it will be business as usual for PA and the gang.

2) I think my tone here has been horribly misunderstood. I am not angry, bitter or reactionary. I am only stating that the Orioles aren't a dirt-poor team that needs to behave like catfish on the bottom of a fish tank. We have money and resources. We still have an attitude (some folks on the OH that is) that we can't ever spend money on anything ever unless it is to shore up current players. We have needs. Serious needs despite our success in 2012. Standing pat will not get us to the same place. We need some superstar level talent right now.

Why this is so problematic or controversial a view I will never understand.

MSK

And yet you want us to sign the biggest question mark in baseball at $25m per year.

Yeah I got it and Fielder was the biggest question mark last off season because he's fat. I love all the excuses... Perhaps you should change you name back Mr. Angelos:rolleyes:

Hamilton can be counted on to hit .290 plus / 30+ dongs/ 100+ Rbis & OPS .900 +. and pretty much for the next several seasons.

Yeah I got it and Fielder was the biggest question mark last off season because he's fat. I love all the excuses... Perhaps you should change you name back Mr. Angelos:rolleyes:

Hamilton can be counted on to hit .290 plus / 30+ dongs/ 100+ Rbis & OPS .900 +. and pretty much for the next several seasons.

I think I've asked you this before, but would you have signed Fielder to the contract that he got?

HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH!

Yea, every single off-season it's like this.

A superstar FA is available. Then there are like a million bizarre excuses why we can't/shouldn't sign him.

Then we don't and that guy does wonders for the team who did step up.

MSK

HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAH!

Yea, every single off-season it's like this.

A superstar FA is available. Then there are like a million bizarre excuses why we can't/shouldn't sign him.

Then we don't and that guy does wonders for the team who did step up.

MSK

I'll ask you the same question, would you have signed Fielder to the contract he got last year?

I think I've asked you this before, but would you have signed Fielder to the contract that he got?

I'm not certain .... It will interesting to see if he cant still hit after 35. And how sharp the decline is....If he's a 4.5 war player the next 6 season would it be worth the dip in the last 3 years?

I'm not certain .... It will interesting to see if he cant still hit after 35. And how sharp the decline is....If he's a 4.5 war player the next 6 season would it be worth the dip in the last 3 years?

Princes agent comes to you the day before he signs and says "Prince needs 9 years, 235-250 to sign"

Are you saying let me fax the contract over to you? Yay or nay?

That's really cute guy.

Listen, I didn't say I didn't want Josh Hamilton, never have. I just don't want to pay what I think he'll inevitably get on the market. If he can be had for 4/$80 or even 5/$100. I'd be all about it. Personally, based on what FA's have been getting lately, I think he'll find a way to get a lot more than that and that's too much for me. I am prepared for life without Josh Hamilton, because that's likely the reality. It's not because I've been brainwashed by Roch Kubatko and MASN.

The problem with the "go get a big name FA" crowd is that they set zero parameters on where they'd draw the line. It's always "give him a dollar more than his best offer". I don't know how you can critique my belief that a 6+ yr deal would be too much, or that over $20m a year is just more than I'd be willing to spend.

If he signs for 4/$80 with some other team, I'll be the first one on here cursing PA. Please let me know when it happens.