I think Trumbo would make a great coach

interloper

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Trumbo has made almost 60m in baseball.  I doubt he would want the travel, hotels and hours that are required to coach.   Comparing that to other things he could do.

Like start his own traveling slapstick comedy routine with a lot of pies in the face and that type of stuff?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, weams said:

Great article....thanks for sharing.   Very insightful guy.  You have to think he really helped Mancini. 

Trumbo: “I’ve tended to be a guy that tries to put the ball in play more than I necessarily needed to. I think that’s the reason I haven’t ever taken as many walks as I would like, and other people probably would like. My early upbringing centered on a very contact-oriented approach. I see guys who are similar to me — big power, but the on-base isn’t necessarily near the upper echelon — and those guys I can usually talk to a little more. But it doesn’t make it any easier, because I’ve struggled my entire career to take a respectable number of walks.

Laurila: If you do want to keep playing, there’s the issue of teams willing to give you an opportunity. Logan Morrison mostly just got minor-league invites last winter as he was coming off injuries of his own.

Trumbo: “I have a suspicion that it would be similar for me. The guaranteed major league deals are hard to come by right now. It seems like a lot of guys are signing minor league deals with the hope to have a good spring and make the club. Would I be willing to do that? It’s definitely an option. I don’t know at the moment how attractive that is, or even how reasonable it is health-wise.”

Laurila: What if you’re offered a hitting coach position?

Trumbo: “One thing I’ve done a lot over the course of my career is travel quite a bit. I’m originally from the west coast, and I’ve been playing on the east coast for awhile now, so location would have some bearing on that. So would the specific role they’d be talking to me about. This is all premature; none of that has happened yet. But to answer the question, some guys are naturally inclined to stay in the game in a coaching capacity, while others are not. I fall more in the first category.”

• Upvote 2

Should be like 100 years ago, when you sometimes have a coach who you'd stick in a game once or twice a year until he was 48 or 54 or something.  Just for the heck of it, in September, or some game you didn't really care about when the Boston Braves were starting some kid who was bound to get shelled.  See: Deacon McGuire, Arlie LathamNick Altrock.  They could do that with Trumbo, he could start two games at DH in September until he was 55.  If Stevie Wilkerson can get a save, who not let Trumbo get six PAs in 2032?

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Should be like 100 years ago, when you sometimes have a coach who you'd stick in a game once or twice a year until he was 48 or 54 or something.  Just for the heck of it, in September, or some game you didn't really care about when the Boston Braves were starting some kid who was bound to get shelled.  See: Deacon McGuire, Arlie LathamNick Altrock.  They could do that with Trumbo, he could start two games at DH in September until he was 55.  If Stevie Wilkerson can get a save, who not let Trumbo get six PAs in 2032?

Then I want to bring back Rafael Palmeiro in that case. 

palmiero-2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all