There have been a lot of good developments this year

Frobby

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

What are you talking about.  A .795 OPS is good for a middle infielder.  Not good for a DH.   Ozzie Smith is HOFer with .a 666 OPS.  A DH with that OPS is going to be unemployed.

I’m talking about the fact that OPS DOES NOT adjust for positional value. Are you being intentionally obtuse? Ozzie Smith had great value defensively, but it’s separate from OPS. If you used WAR for Nunez you could make your argument, not with OPS. 

An OPS of .760 is about league average. It doesn’t change based on position. It’s an offensive statistic. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheOtherRipken said:

He has a positive WAR and almost 30 homeruns as a 25 year old that hasnt started every game - do you want him to ascend from heaven and grant you three wishes to prove to you he has value?

Descending from Heaven would probably be good enough, even for Atomic!

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2019 at 8:41 AM, atomic said:

What you value in players I dont.  Ihe has over 500 plate appearances so he is pretty much an everyday player.  I gave reasons why I dont see value in him. A DH only with a .317 OBP isnt cutting it for me.  

You would think after Davis and Trumbo signings people would stop over valuing home runs.

A DH is supposed to knock in runs and that's exactly what Renato Nunez has excelled at. He leads the team in RBIs and has a .949 OPS with RISP.

As for the value of home runs, the Davis and Trumbo comparison actually proves the opposite: Nunez's salary and playing time have made his homers an extremely good bargain.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Of course, that makes certain assumptions about the location of Atomic in the universe (which is not verifiable for a number reasons per Heisenberg and the ACLU). Maybe there's more to his name than we realize and things really do ascend to him from the heavens (post-blast scenario).

13 hours ago, atomic said:

Yaz would be great to have as he can field. I am not sure why it is so hard to understand that players who cant field have to hit exceptionally well to be useful.

You are exactly right. The mantra was always “defense” but the teams that took the field over the last few years were laughably bad on D.

13 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m talking about the fact that OPS DOES NOT adjust for positional value. Are you being intentionally obtuse? Ozzie Smith had great value defensively, but it’s separate from OPS. If you used WAR for Nunez you could make your argument, not with OPS. 

An OPS of .760 is about league average. It doesn’t change based on position. It’s an offensive statistic. 

You are the one who is being intentionally obtuse.  League average OPS is fine for a shortstop but terrible for a DH.  Reread that sentence until you understand it,

On 8/31/2019 at 9:40 AM, mdbdotcom said:

I don't know how much credit Don Long should get for the success of Villar, Alberto, Severino, Santander and Nunez, but at the very least he did not get in their way.

I was thinking the same thing about Don Long. I’ve been saying for two weeks now, this is currently a top 10-12 offense in all of MLB. Especially when we don’t play Davis or Martin.

It would be real nice to add Mountcastle to it in September. 

11 hours ago, LA2 said:

Of course, that makes certain assumptions about the location of Atomic in the universe (which is not verifiable for a number reasons per Heisenberg and the ACLU). Maybe there's more to his name than we realize and things really do ascend to him from the heavens (post-blast scenario).

Or entanglement. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was thinking the same thing about Don Long. I’ve been saying for two weeks now, this is currently a top 10-12 offense in all of MLB. Especially when we don’t play Davis or Martin.

It would be real nice to add Mountcastle to it in September. 

It would be nice to introduce Mountcastle to the major leagues in September, even if they decide he needs more time at Norfolk to start 2020.

12 hours ago, LA2 said:

I am not sure why  have a hard time understanding I don’t like guys who have low average, low OBP and who can’t field,  people go on and on how the game is boring now,  Nunez is a poster child for what makes the game boring,  

His salary has nothing to do with whether he is a good ball player.  The goal is to win games not to collect a bunch of below average player making the league minimum.

39 minutes ago, atomic said:

You are the one who is being intentionally obtuse.  League average OPS is fine for a shortstop but terrible for a DH.  Reread that sentence until you understand it,

And you go and read up on how OPS is constructed. There is no defensive component.

• Upvote 2

Also WAR doesn’t actually tell you a players value to the team. Mancini negative DWAR is double Nunez.  Which makes sense on affecting a team record but not in a players value.  You could have put Mancini at DH all year and his WAR would be higher.  It isn’t his fault he isn’t played at DH where he belongs.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And you go and read up on how OPS is constructed. There is no defensive component.

I know how OPS is constructed,  I am not sure why you  can’t understand that Someone who has a .league average OPS at shortstop is a valuable player but the a league average OPS at DH is not valuable.  If you can understand that maybe not discussing stats should be your next move.

.726 OPS for a shortstop you keep your job

.726 OPS for a DH and you start working on you4 post career options.

Maybe someone else can explain it to you,   It seems as basic a concept as there is.