Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You’re so contrarian!    When Hays wins rookie of the year next season I assume you’ll be very bitter about it!

When?  Not if?

You seem confident.

I don't like these little games.  I'd like for them to be forced to bench him at the cutoff so they can't pretend toward their motivation.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When?  Not if?

You seem confident.

I don't like these little games.  I'd like for them to be forced to bench him at the cutoff so they can't pretend toward their motivation.

Oh, I am not confident about that at all.    Just a part of giving you some grief.    In reality, I’d say the odds are less than 10%.     And as I’ve said, I really don’t care.    I just want him to have a good year and prove he can be a key piece for us going forward.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re so contrarian!    When Hays wins rookie of the year next season I assume you’ll be very bitter about it!

I'm hoping Hays will have to beat 600 PA of Mountcastle and Diaz to get it.  In the category of little games, and turning towards 2020, I will be rooting for both those guys get the Vlad timeline.  I'm willing to pay them Arb1 as Super Twos, and Arb4 eventually to give them 5.5 months instead of 3.5 months next year readying for 2021-2022.

By April 10th I'd love to see something like:

SS Villar/1B Mancini/C Sisco

DH Mountcastle/CF Hays/LF Santander

RF Diaz/3B Nunez/2B Alberto

I simply put Sisco 3rd there for the flavor of the Rutschman lineup starting in 2021.

Just now, OrioleDog said:

I'm hoping Hays will have to beat 600 PA of Mountcastle and Diaz to get it.  In the category of little games, and turning towards 2020, I will be rooting for both those guys get the Vlad timeline.  I'm willing to pay them Arb1 as Super Twos, and Arb4 eventually to give them 5.5 months instead of 3.5 months next year readying for 2021-2022.

By April 10th I'd love to see something like:

SS Villar/1B Mancini/C Sisco

DH Mountcastle/CF Hays/LF Santander

RF Diaz/3B Nunez/2B Alberto

I simply put Sisco 3rd there for the flavor of the Rutschman lineup starting in 2021.

I'll be surprised if after more than two full seasons at AA if they promote Diaz that quickly.  I think that if they had any intention of a quick 2020 promotion he would have moved up to Norfolk at some point in 2019.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When?  Not if?

You seem confident.

Or they could just change the rules so that the year where you make your debut is your rookie year, all stop. 

Cal would have been a rookie in '81, so Wade Boggs wins ROY in '82.  Olson would have been an '88 rookie, so Griffey wins in '89.  Bumbry loses his to Pedro Garcia.  Ron Hansen loses his to fellow Oriole Chuck Estrada, so at least someone can feel bad.

Eddie didn't get a callup in '76 despite OPSing '921 at AAA, so he can keep his.  But at least we can focus on his disgruntled exit to LA.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be surprised if after more than two full seasons at AA if they promote Diaz that quickly.  I think that if they had any intention of a quick 2020 promotion he would have moved up to Norfolk at some point in 2019.

Most of the board seems to think Diaz will be in the majors to stay in early 2020.  This year he was one of the better hitters on the BaySox and has never had a AAA at bat.  It wouldn't surprise me if he got fewer than 100 PAs in the majors next year.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Most of the board seems to think Diaz will be in the majors to stay in early 2020.  This year he was one of the better hitters on the BaySox and has never had a AAA at bat.  It wouldn't surprise me if he got fewer than 100 PAs in the majors next year.

With what I've seen with Mountcastle I'm expecting late April 2021.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Elias will want to see him doing well in Norfolk. He also won't want to waste his service time on a team with no expectations of winning. It wouldn't surprise me if he got no AB in the majors next season until September.