Players coming off the 40 man roster after the season

wildcard

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

These are good reasons for why we should trade Castro. 

My biggest point about this perceived roster crunch is... Don’t get too attached to marginal contributors to a 100 loss team. That doesn’t mean those marginal contributors don’t have some value, but their ceiling is marginal now. What will it be in 3-4 years?  So trade away our marginal contributors for 16-19 year olds with high ceilings. 

What value do these marginal contributors have to a 110 loss team?  That we might only lose 100 next year?  We’re all big fans on this site, you just have to be more attached to the process at this point rather than individual players. 

At this point in our rebuild when players stock’s are high we should sell. Don’t get me wrong, one hot streak isn’t changing the entire league’s view of a player’s value, but look at what happened with Cashner. We got a little back when that looked like a pretty far fetched idea last offseason. Now we have vets like  Villar, Givens, and Castro that are coming off hot stretches. Trade em this offseason. Then hope that Cobb and Bundy become tradeable next July. 

How can you have a roster crunch with a 110 loss team with an average farm system?  We don’t. 

I hope the O's don't trade for 16 year old players.  I hope Elias is focused on getting players that will help the team in 2022/23.   That are 3 or 4 years away not  the 6 or so years it takes to develop a 16 year old.

How can a team have a roster crunch with a 110 loss team?   You put together a very good development program that makes minor league players too value to lose.    I think Elias has done that already and the rest of the league knows it from the playoffish teams at Bowie, Delmarva, Aberdeen and the GCL.      So other teams will be likely to select players from the O's in the Rule 5 draft if they are exposed.    So it may not be only players like Mountcastle, Akin, Diaz, McKenna, Sedlock and Kremer that the O's will want to protect.  It may also  be players like Fenter,  Alvarado and Jimenez.  

It used to be that the O's would only protect players that they thought some team might pick and keep all season.   If a player got selected back then  who cared if they were picked as long as the O's thought they would get him back.  But now with a player development program that can improve players effectively they probably don't want to lose that development time when a player is picked.   If Fenter is taken at 23 years old then they could lose 4 to 5 months of development time including ST and a few months of the season.  Another team could mess him up and delay him from becoming a productive major league player.  But since the O's have confidence in their development processes they probably know that can take Fenter through  A+ and AA next  year and have him in the majors by sometime in 2021.

The crunch comes from needing 25-35 players for the major league  roster plus wanting to keep  the O's developing players that would be exposed to the Rule 5 draft  plus wanting a player or two for the Rule 5 draft where the O's might pick second.  Then add the players that the O's analytics staff are tracking from other teams that may be let go over the winter that the O's want to acquire.     There is a lot going one in the Elias  system with player development and tracking of players throughout the league is my guess.

• Upvote 1