The Rubber Match (vs. DODGERS, 9/12)

OFFNY

38 minutes ago, O's84 said:

This is how Bundy feels like just happened:

o

Kershaw jumping out of the way of the sliding baserunner at the end of that play was the antithesis of what Michael Givens did against the Yankees last year ........ he literally blocked home plate with his balls, saving the game for his team.

Image result for Mychal Givens blocks home plate Yankees

o

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball is like American government, with the three branches of defense, offense and pitching. Usually it’s the pitching that fails, but tonight-and many nights- it was the defense.

I wonder if the victimized pitcher goes snarling over to the bad defender and says something caustic, or does the defender apologize profusely to the pitcher for being bad?

Or do they just ignore it and thank our Lord they have a job?

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Baseball is like American government, with the three branches of defense, offense and pitching. Usually it’s the pitching that fails, but tonight-and many nights- it was the defense.

I wonder if the victimized pitcher goes snarling over to the bad defender and says something caustic, or does the defender apologize profusely to the pitcher for being bad?

Or do they just ignore it and thank our Lord they have a job?

Not just the defense tonight. It's hard to win with only two hits, harder still when one of the two runs into an out on the bases.

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Kershaw jumping out of the way of the sliding baserunner at the end of that play was the antithesis of what Michael Givens did against the Yankees last year ........ he literally blocked home plate with his balls, saving the game for his team.

Image result for Mychal Givens blocks home plate Yankees

o

I've been searching for that play for awhile but have been able find it.  Thanks!!

1 minute ago, Philip said:

If I may quote Buck,” if not him, who(m?)”

I get it.....but in my era teams kind of carried some catchers just for their defense and arm.  I understand wanting to get offense out of the position but watching Severino this season.....I can not see him bringing much.  They preach defense up the middle.  Catcher, SS, Second and Center....and the Orioles are below average defensively in all these positions.  It is just hard to watch.

Just now, Gurgi said:

I get it.....but in my era teams kind of carried some catchers just for their defense and arm.  I understand wanting to get offense out of the position but watching Severino this season.....I can not see him bringing much.  They preach defense up the middle.  Catcher, SS, Second and Center....and the Orioles are below average defensively in all these positions.  It is just hard to watch.

Pretty much all teams preach strong defense.

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

It's true that the Orioles are below average in those four key positions. But that's hardly the whole story. Since Broxton departed, the Orioles probably have been below average defensively at every position. Ruiz at third is probably the Orioles' premier defender and may be barely average by some assessments.

Archived