Will this weekend be the last time we see Chris Davis in Baltimore?

Sanfran327

Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

It's a sign that our GM either doesn't have full control of baseball operations, or that he's showing that he's just not a smart GM.  

Holy cow. Couldn't disagree more.

All the track record Elias has in St L, Houston and the changes he's made in an abbreviated year here would be thrown out because he doesn't handle a hot button issue quickly enough to suit some. 

I'm not arguing that Davis is deserving of a roster spot and I'm not arguing that I believe an offseason of working on swing changes is going to work. But if Davis is given extended opportunities the first few months of next season after ST would not, to me, indicate he's not a smart GM.

And the gnashing of teeth about "full control" is misplaced. Anyone remember the scene from Moneyball where Billy Beane is begging the owner for more money to make a trade? Somehow the great Theo Epstein couldn't convince owners of the Cubs to give him money for more bullpen upgrades this year when they were clearly needed. The Rays are constantly shortchanged. Does that make their GM any less impressive or mean he doesn't have full control? I'm sure there are a half dozen other examples. Yankee fans constantly whine about Hal being cheap. Does that lessen what Cashman has done?

Perhaps the zest to get rid of Davis is clouding the picture here a bit.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John Welch said:

All the track record Elias has in St L, Houston and the changes he's made in an abbreviated year here would be thrown out because he doesn't handle a hot button issue quickly enough to suit some. 

I'm not arguing that Davis is deserving of a roster spot and I'm not arguing that I believe an offseason of working on swing changes is going to work. But if Davis is given extended opportunities the first few months of next season after ST would not, to me, indicate he's not a smart GM.

And the gnashing of teeth about "full control" is misplaced. Anyone remember the scene from Moneyball where Billy Beane is begging the owner for more money to make a trade? Somehow the great Theo Epstein couldn't convince owners of the Cubs to give him money for more bullpen upgrades this year when they were clearly needed. The Rays are constantly shortchanged. Does that make their GM any less impressive or mean he doesn't have full control? I'm sure there are a half dozen other examples. Yankee fans constantly whine about Hal being cheap. Does that lessen what Cashman has done?

Is there single GM in MLB that has the clout and authority to jettison a player with that amount of money owed him?????

But the Yankees aren't cheap, they are 25 million over the luxury cap, if you believe sporttrac and I think its reasonable to assume they are correct.

I don't see how Ryan Mountcastle can get an opportunity in Baltimore as long as Chris Davis is still on the roster.  The O's have too many LF/1B/DH types even without Chris Davis, and Mountcastle has done more than enough to earn a shot.  I think this offseason is when they finally pull the trigger on Davis.  

Just now, interloper said:

Where's the lie though? You don't have to like it (I don't), but it's a fact. 

I didnt say, I was in agreement, but just stating what I believed to be pretty strong facts.

At this point, I am tried of the distractions he brings to the team. I want him gone,  as much as the next guy.

But, as with Howard with the Phillies, these owners do not jump that kind of salary, it just doesnt happen.

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't see how Ryan Mountcastle can get an opportunity in Baltimore as long as Chris Davis is still on the roster.  The O's have too many LF/1B/DH types even without Chris Davis, and Mountcastle has done more than enough to earn a shot.  I think this offseason is when they finally pull the trigger on Davis.  

3rd base? :)

1 hour ago, John Welch said:

I guess if you want to isolate my post to that part of that sentence, you can leap to that conclusion. But if you read the whole thing, or anything else I've said in this thread, it's pretty clear that that's not at all what I think. I'll bite though, and say that if Elias himself wants to keep Davis on the roster beyond the end of the 2019 season, that absolutely makes me question his judgement. 

I have the luxury of being an armchair GM though, and not a real one. 

This has nothing to do with spending money. The money is already spent and gone (in a certain sense). We're not talking about asking for additional resources. We're talking about opening up a dead, wasted roster spot. 

Yes, there will be a cost to adding a player to fill his spot, but in all likelihood, it will be a league-minimum rookie player. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Where's the lie though? You don't have to like it (I don't), but it's a fact. 

What fact?  That no one has needed  cutting  with as much money owed as Davis has left?

Sure.

Also no one has been as bad as fast after signing a huge deal.

He doesn't have comps so it isn't useful to compare him to these other players.

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

This has nothing to do with spending money. The money is already spent and gone (in a certain sense). We're not talking about asking for additional resources. We're talking about opening up a dead, wasted roster spot. 

Yes, there will be a cost to adding a player to fill his spot, but in all likelihood, it will be a league-minimum rookie player. 

What you said, is 100% factual.

However, most owners are shrewd businessmen who typically are self built and they are usually very opinionated about sending a guy packing like that.