Will this weekend be the last time we see Chris Davis in Baltimore?

Sanfran327

Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?

• Yes
    • No

If there's any truth to the off-season improvement plan the club is putting him on, a good part of me is curious to see how that fares before releasing him. Elias seems like he's a little more tuned into the show than Duquette was, so I imagine the fire Elias ignites under Davis' rear end will burn a lot hotter than Dan's, who likely didn't even light one in the first place, and possibly bear fruit. 

24 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

The poll is intentionally binary. Knee-jerk response yes or no based on your gut feeling. I'm inclined to say yes, because we're really pretty screwed if not.

We all really hope he never plays another game as an Oriole regardless of our feelings for him as a person... but I don't think that having him on our roster for a couple more years is the difference between us being screwed and not screwed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

We all really hope he never plays another game as an Oriole regardless of our feelings for him as a person... but I don't think that having him on our roster for a couple more years is the difference between us being screwed and not screwed. 

His presence on the roster is not what separates us from being screwed or not. It's a sign that our GM either doesn't have full control of baseball operations, or that he's showing that he's just not a smart GM. I would really hate to start thinking the latter so quickly, because I have extremely high hopes for him and the future of our team. But moving forward should not include Chris Davis any longer. 

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

His presence on the roster is not what separates us from being screwed or not. It's a sign that our GM either doesn't have full control of baseball operations, or that he's showing that he's just not a smart GM. I would really hate to start thinking the latter so quickly, because I have extremely high hopes for him and the future of our team. But moving forward should not include Chris Davis any longer. 

I think the Davis case is an extreme outlier situation and shouldn't be used to make definitive judgments about the abilities and/or smarts of our GM.

I think he's done a good amount of things in less than a year of being here that indicates he has plenty of space to do what he wants to do.

• Upvote 1

Just now, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think the Davis case is an extreme outlier situation and shouldn't be used to make definitive judgments about the abilities and/or smarts of our GM.

I think he's done a good amount of things in less than a year of being here that indicates he has plenty of space to do what he wants to do.

Disagree with the first part, but agree 100% with the second. I like Elias a lot. Huge fan of him and everything he's said and done so far. My only point is that if Davis is on the roster to start Spring Training in 2020, it's a sign that he does not have full control, which is a big problem, and further, a huge warning sign that he will not be able to implement his plan exactly the way he wants to (or potentially needs to) to achieve the level of success we all hope for. 

Davis is making a ton of money, but he shouldn't be on the roster anymore. Simple economics tells you to just walk away and swallow the sunk cost. Big pill to swallow, I know. But it needs to happen.

17 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Disagree with the first part, but agree 100% with the second. I like Elias a lot. Huge fan of him and everything he's said and done so far. My only point is that if Davis is on the roster to start Spring Training in 2020, it's a sign that he does not have full control, which is a big problem, and further, a huge warning sign that he will not be able to implement his plan exactly the way he wants to (or potentially needs to) to achieve the level of success we all hope for. 

Davis is making a ton of money, but he shouldn't be on the roster anymore. Simple economics tells you to just walk away and swallow the sunk cost. Big pill to swallow, I know. But it needs to happen.

You'd be right that he doesn't have full control. No GM in the league truly has full autonomy when you're talking about Davis-level money. I'd like to think that if we were looking to contend, then Davis would be gone.. but I'm not sure. I hope it ends soon, though.

In Baltimore we're used to GM's having not enough control, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume Elias will ever have full autonomy on all personnel decisions.

• Upvote 1

How many times must Chris Davis play ball

Before his bat is forever banned.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind. 

Yes, 'n' how many at bats can Davis receive
Before he is allowed to be free?
Yes, 'n' how many times can a GM turn his head
And pretend that he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind

I think he is here all of next year.

I voted yes, but in fairness I have no idea where Elias is on this.  Davis is done as he is now three years plus as a terrible player the last two among the worst seasons ever.  However we do not know what Elias agreed to when he accepted the job.  It's easy to assume he agreed to give it a year.  But might he have also agreed to one off season?  I wouldn't have.  But I'm not Elias and I'm not his favorite rocket scientist.  I will be concerned if he is not gone after the season and before spring, but I understand some think otherwise.