Will this weekend be the last time we see Chris Davis in Baltimore?

Sanfran327

Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

What you said, is 100% factual.

However, most owners are shrewd businessmen who typically are self built and they are usually very opinionated about sending a guy packing like that.

I'll give you that. But what else do we need to see from Chris Davis at this point? Is there any reasonable chance that he revives his career? I'd say 98% no. 

Just now, Sanfran327 said:

I'll give you that. But what else do we need to see from Chris Davis at this point? Is there any reasonable chance that he revives his career? I'd say 98% no. 

and you are more than likely correct.

Didnt Braun with the Brewers have a few rough years, and then bounce some of the way back?

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

Sorry, I gotta disagree. He was bad. But he bounced back and he was never nearly this bad. 

I got no problem with disagreements, hell, I dont agree with myself sometimes. :)

But, look at the stats, they are pretty bad, -1.6 WAR and Davis did a -1.4 this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/howarry01.shtml

10 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

This has nothing to do with spending money. The money is already spent and gone (in a certain sense). We're not talking about asking for additional resources. We're talking about opening up a dead, wasted roster spot. 

Yes, there will be a cost to adding a player to fill his spot, but in all likelihood, it will be a league-minimum rookie player. 

It's easy to talk economic theory when it's not your money in the pot, but for the people who invested a large sum of cash it's not hard to understand why they don't want to give up on him.

They should give up... but that's sure easy for me to say.

Edited by CallMeBrooksie
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Only in his final year was he as bad as Davis has been in either of the last two years.

True, but he cost even more (per season), at a time when salaries were a bit lower than they are now.   Overall though, I’d rather have the Howard contract.  

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I got no problem with disagreements, hell, I dont agree with myself sometimes. :)

But, look at the stats, they are pretty bad, -1.6 WAR and Davis did a -1.4 this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/howarry01.shtml

That was the last year of the deal.  You think Davis can put up a -1.6 in three years?

16 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I guess if you want to isolate my post to that part of that sentence, you can leap to that conclusion. But if you read the whole thing, or anything else I've said in this thread, it's pretty clear that that's not at all what I think. I'll bite though, and say that if Elias himself wants to keep Davis on the roster beyond the end of the 2019 season, that absolutely makes me question his judgement. 

I have the luxury of being an armchair GM though, and not a real one. 

Fair enough. And I suspect we agree with the idea that there's no way on earth that Elias "wants" Davis on the roster.