KG for 2020

BohKnowsBmore

10 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

How would you feel about bringing KG back for 2020 to be the #4/#5 SP? He’s been pretty bad this season, so I’m guessing he’ll be non-tendered. Seems like he might be a decent reclamation project target given his pedigree and past success in Baltimore. Maybe a cheap 2020 with an option for 2021?

A cheap 2020 with an option?... It's worth exploring, unless Elias has reasons against it. I don't know if that kind of contract could net Gausman, but if it could and he is awful, we can just let him go when a better option is ready. If he turns things around and becomes the pitcher he's shown flashes of or is even league average, it was worth the small investment.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is cheap and what the Orioles will be willing to pay.  I don't see them going for more than a million or so for anyone based on this year.

You could be right.

I hate to base anything on this year.

We all knew there would no reason to waste money on this season, but if the right talented free agent is available and not over priced, you dont think there is any chance they sign them?

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You could be right.

I hate to base anything on this year.

We all knew there would no reason to waste money on this season, but if the right talented free agent is available and not over priced, you dont think there is any chance they sign them?

I suppose it is possible.

I just don't see the "right" free agent wanting to play in Baltimore in 2020.  Going to be twenty or so better options out there.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think they were even when the team was winning.   Exhibits A-F: Cruz, Jiménez, Fowler, Gallardo, Cashner and Cobb.

Cashner and Cobb joined us after a 75-win season.   Gallardo joined us after a .500 season (and the Fowler dalliance was then, too).    

In any event, signing late with us doesn’t mean we were a “last resort” as a team, just that we were the only team that made them offers they found acceptable.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Cashner and Cobb joined us after a 75-win season.   Gallardo joined us after a .500 season (and the Fowler dalliance was then, too).    

In any event, signing late with us doesn’t mean we were a “last resort” as a team, just that we were the only team that made them offers they found acceptable.    

I think the team was still viewed as a "winning team", as opposed to pre-andy or the current situation. 

I think that signing late with a team because they are the only team that made an acceptable offer is pretty much proof that the team is considered an undesirable landing spot.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think the team was still viewed as a "winning team", as opposed to pre-andy or the current situation. 

I think that signing late with a team because they are the only team that made an acceptable offer is pretty much proof that the team is considered an undesirable landing spot.

That makes no sense to me.   What if that team simply never made an acceptable offer until late in the offseason?    Was Boston an undesirable landing spot when JD Martinez signed there on Feb. 26, 2018?   That signing was later than Jimenez, Cruz, Gallardo or Cashner.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That makes no sense to me.   What if that team simply never made an acceptable offer until late in the offseason?    Was Boston an undesirable landing spot when JD Martinez signed there on Feb. 26, 2018?   That signing was later than Jimenez, Cruz, Gallardo or Cashner.   

That was also a singular event.

With the O's you have a pattern of players, many of which cost a draft pick, signing (or not signing) with the O's late in the process.  When it happens a half dozen times over the span of a few years it indicates to me that the players only signed with the O's when they were sure other teams wouldn't make a comparable offer.  Yes I understand that at some level that is how all these deals work out. 

Do you think any of those pitchers signs with the O's if another team (pick one) makes the same offer?   

I will accept that Cruz preferred Baltimore to Seattle.