Orioles Claim Pitcher Cole Sulser Off Waivers From Tampa Bay

weams

48 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

What you're describing is bad analytics, understanding that bad really just means incomplete.

People think big data is the end all, be all. It might be in baseball, but just because data exists doesn't mean it's the right data. This stuff isn't easy. It will take time to get closer to perfect. See defensive metrics, for example.

The numbers of perspectives you can infer upon a data set is unimaginable.

Anything you put an emphasis on, you are going load up on the most flawed of it. Since all good ones cost more. I don't think high spin is any longer a market in-efficiency. So you get exact what you pay for.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Interesting piece. I admit, he is indistinguishable in my mind from Blach, Shepherd, Brooks, Hanhold etc. 

He did have some very good ML numbers in a VERY SSS. 7 innings. Maybe it was just a strange new pitcher that hitters never saw and then didn't have time to adjust to. But he might have something. Has some solid MiL numbers. Doesn't walk many, Ks a lot. Career MiL WHIP of 1.233.

(WHIP is my go to stat for quick and dirty judgement on raw stats for pitchers. K/BB and K/9 tied for second. For hitters I mostly use OPS. Like I said, for quick and dirty comparisons.)

2 hours ago, scOtt said:

He did have some very good ML numbers in a VERY SSS. 7 innings. Maybe it was just a strange new pitcher that hitters never saw and then didn't have time to adjust to. But he might have something. Has some solid MiL numbers. Doesn't walk many, Ks a lot. Career MiL WHIP of 1.233.

(WHIP is my go to stat for quick and dirty judgement on raw stats for pitchers. K/BB and K/9 tied for second. For hitters I mostly use OPS. Like I said, for quick and dirty comparisons.)

Lol, I look at K/9 to see if he has good stuff. Then I look at BB/9 to see if he has decent command. The he checks those boxes I look at WHIP and ERA. I learned with Tyler Wilson that they have to have good stuff.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, I look at K/9 to see if he has good stuff. Then I look at BB/9 to see if he has decent command. The he checks those boxes I look at WHIP and ERA. I learned with Tyler Wilson that they have to have good stuff.

Agree on all except ERA. That's so dependent on outside factors... Infielders with no range, outfielders with no range or no arm, general defense. I look at it but don't count a guy out if it's high and don't give much credit if it's low. Unless it's REALLY low...

Also look at OPSA, I think that's it - OPS against, if there's a column for that. See if they're bashing him around the park or squeaking grounders thru the holes.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's hope he pitches better than he did in my sim. 

Dang, almost sounds like Roch with his humor wrote this bit:

Sulser isn’t locked into a roster spot with the Orioles either, but he should have an easier time carving out a role with the pitching-needy Orioles than he did with either of his previous organizations

• 2 months later...

o

(vs. RED SOX, 7/26) ) [2020 SEASON DEBUT]

A dazzling debut to the 2020 season for Sulser.

He inherited a runner on 1st base with nobody out in the 8th inning ......... not only did he erase that runner by inducing a double play to the first batter that he faced, but he also overcame an error by his teammate later in that same inning.

2 ll Innings Pitched

0 ll Runs

1 ll Hit

0 ll Walks

2 ll Strikeouts

1 ll Save

28 )Pitches )(20 )Strikes, )8 )Balls)

o

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 7/26) ) [2020 SEASON DEBUT]

A dazzling debut to the 2020 season for Sulser.

He inherited a runner on 1st base with nobody out in the 8th inning ......... not only did he erase that runner by inducing a double play to the first batter that he faced, but he also overcame an error by his teammate later in that same inning.

2 ll Innings Pitched

0 ll Runs

1 ll Hit

0 ll Walks

2 ll Strikeouts

1 ll Save

28 )Pitches )(20 )Strikes, )8 )Balls)

o

He Cole-cocked them!  Impressive split-change per Big Ben!

• Thanks 1