Andy Etchebarren passed away

Legend_Of_Joey

46 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Brooks looks like he is about to drop kick Etch...

What I always notice first about this picture is not Brook’s complete disregard for gravity but the size of Etch’s hand. Could he ever have been anything other than a catcher?  RIP. 

o

When I was visiting my cousins in West Springfield, VA in 1977, they used to get the Washington Star newspaper. There was a picture of some game action when the Orioles were playing the Angels in early August, and the caption stated that Andy Etchebarren was the catcher for the Angels. When I saw that picture and the caption, I thought to myself, "Hey, that's our guy. It's good to see that he is still in playing in the Majors."

o

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m very sad to hear this.   A true Oriole who bled black and orange.   And possessor of an amazing unibrow.   RIP, Mr. Etchebarren.

He was quite friendly to to fans both in Baltimore and in York. It was hard however to place second fiddle to Elrod with fan interaction.  

1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Didn't he save Frank Robinson from drowning at a pool party ???

I might be misremembering some detail there, but I thought that that was the story. 

RIP to a great Oriole.

o

Yes.

I googled it, and came up with an article from May of 2012 ........ Etchebarren and Davey Johnson together saved Robinson after he accidentally fell into the pool.

The Time Davey Johnson Saved Frank Robinson from Drowning

(By Dan Kolko)

https://www.masnsports.com/nationals-pastime/2012/05/the-time-davey-johnson-saved-frank-robinson-from-drowning.html

o

• Upvote 1