Whither Buck ?

Redskins Rick

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I find it hard to believe that people want to put so much blame on Buck.

Is Buck perfect, oh hell no.

But, geeze, when Angelos stayed out of the picture, Buck did a pretty darn good job with the talent he had here.

Then the GD Blue Jays came knocking and Peter gets back in the saddle and it goes to hell in a hand basket.

I believe that part of the reason Angelos got more involved is that Buck went behind Dan's back to ownership.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t think Buck is a good choice for any managerial job anymore. Nobody’s talking about who was mostly responsible for the dysfunction here, the absence of specific information we cannot assign all the blame to Buck,  but enough of it was clearly on him that, combined with his disdain for any analytics except for time to the plate, Should be enough to give anybody pause.

That is why I said Buck should have been fired after the Britton incident.  And then making him manage was the nail in the coffin on his career.  We didn't do Buck any favors by making him manage through the horrible 2018 season.  If we fired him after 2016 play-in game he most likely would have gotten a job the next year.  Now him and DD probably won't have those types of jobs again. 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I believe that part of the reason Angelos got more involved is that Buck went behind Dan's back to ownership.

So Angelos started distrusting Dan when Toronto indicated a desire to hire him?

Sorry it just doesnt add up for me.

Funny thing it, it was working well, in spite of the dynamics of those involved.

37 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Personally, I do not have high esteem for Baker the manager.

I think Buck or Joe will do well in Philly, they want Joe, more power to them, hope it works well.

Joe didnt do too well in Florida and did better in NY, with deep pocket salaries.

Glad he turned down the job here, as I am not a big fan of his.

I think the Philly job will be one, that can show him as a good or not good manager.

Again, just my opinion.

Baker is a very good at managing a clubhouse.    He came into a somewhat messy situation in Washington and cleaned it up.   He’s not the best in-game strategist.    

22 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Angelos started distrusting Dan when Toronto indicated a desire to hire him?

Sorry it just doesnt add up for me.

Funny thing it, it was working well, in spite of the dynamics of those involved.

Just like yesterday...huh?

I said nothing about Dan and Toronto.

I think Buck went behind Dan's back to advocate for Davis and that is part of the reason that Angelos bypassed Dan to make a deal with Boras.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Baker is a very good at managing a clubhouse.    He came into a somewhat messy situation in Washington and cleaned it up.   He’s not the best in-game strategist.    

Good points, I do not like his in-game moves, and specifically at the job of my list, is how he manages a pitcher staff/pen.

Some of it could be considered luck, the Nationals improved after they hired Dusty.

Some say, it was because the team finally got healthy and played to their ability.

Probably a bit of truth to both sides of this.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just like yesterday...huh?

I said nothing about Dan and Toronto.

I think Buck went behind Dan's back to advocate for Davis and that is part of the reason that Angelos bypassed Dan to make a deal with Boras.

So Buck is to blame for Angelos out bidding himself on Davis.

Thats a theory, I will have to say.

Was Buck to blame for Manny getting the cold shoulder for getting a new contract here. I thought Buck wanted him here, and if Buck had Pete's ear? Dan said Davis money did not take away from protentional Manny money.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

So Buck is to blame for Angelos out bidding himself on Davis.

Thats a theory, I will have to say.

Was Buck to blame for Manny getting the cold shoulder for getting a new contract here. I thought Buck wanted him here, and if Buck had Pete's ear? Dan said Davis money did not take away from protentional Manny money.

Didn't say that, what I said is that is part of the reason.

Ultimately Angelos is to blame.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good points, I do not like his in-game moves, and specifically at the job of my list, is how he manages a pitcher staff/pen.

Some of it could be considered luck, the Nationals improved after they hired Dusty.

Some say, it was because the team finally got healthy and played to their ability.

Probably a bit of truth to both sides of this.

He was able to navigate the Harper-Papelbon mess that Matt Williams bequeathed him, and some other serious clubhouse tensions from the Williams era.    But yeah, obviously health is a huge factor for any team and Baker may have benefitted there.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He was able to navigate the Harper-Papelbon mess that Matt Williams bequeathed him, and some other serious clubhouse tensions from the Williams era.    But yeah, obviously health is a huge factor for any team and Baker may have benefitted there.  

That was a huge mess he inherited, so you make a valid point.

12 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I find it hard to believe that people want to put so much blame on Buck.

Is Buck perfect, oh hell no.

But, geeze, when Angelos stayed out of the picture, Buck did a pretty darn good job with the talent he had here.

Then the GD Blue Jays came knocking and Peter gets back in the saddle and it goes to hell in a hand basket.

Oh I agree. Dan was the general manager, and player acquisition is his responsibility, but I’ve heard so much about Buck having the ear of Angelos That some of the blame May accrue to him. He sure seemed to want Tillman to come back despite being toast.

5 hours ago, Philip said:

Oh I agree. Dan was the general manager, and player acquisition is his responsibility, but I’ve heard so much about Buck having the ear of Angelos That some of the blame May accrue to him. He sure seemed to want Tillman to come back despite being toast.

Do you really think DD wanted to extend CD, Trumbo, or O’day?  We had just watched DD let Markakis, Cruz, and Miller walk in FA. 

Whatever % of control DD had dramatically decreased after the Tor fiasco.

I think Buck will be great in the booth or on tv. He always has been. He put feelers out this year, and probably lands a job next year.