Whither Buck ?

Redskins Rick

I don't think the Padres are going to put together a contender.

I did see an idea on the internet that the Orioles should trade Mancini for Hosmer, CJ Abrams, and Luis Patino. Crazy trade. Take on the 6 years/~$100M of Hosmer's contract with him at replacement level recently for two Top 50 prospects.

Will never happen of course, but it's a fun idea. Prospect value wise, it works out better for San Diego honestly but I doubt either team would be interested.

12 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

47-115 with a team that should have better should disqualify him IMO. Moving Manny to SS  to pacify him should disqualify him. Lastly continuing to stick with CD, should disqualify him (no evidence, but I believe BS had PA's ear on the CD signing). 

2018 lineup was trash.  Earl Weaver would not have won 50 games with those guys.   

CD got regularly playing time this year with a new GM and manager.  He was told straight up he is making it to ST next year. This decision was apparently came from a high level. 

The 2012 Orioles scored exactly 7 more runs than the allowed and managed to win 93 games.  Won the wildcard before losing to the Yanks in the division series in 5 games.  I don't think you do that without a good manager.

Edited by GuidoSarducci

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

2018 lineup was trash.  Earl Weaver would not have won 50 games with those guys.   

CD got regularly playing time this year with a new GM and manager.  He was told straight up he is making it to ST next year. This decision was apparently came from a high level. 

The 2012 Orioles scored exactly 7 more runs than the allowed and managed to win 93 games.  Won the wildcard before losing to the Yanks in the division series in 5 games.  I don't think you do that without a good manager.

They played like trash. On paper they were much better than the 2019 No Name O's which won 7 more games. Machado, Schoop, Jones, Gausman, O'Day, etc....47 wins is close to historically bad. Buck knew his contract was up, he and his team played like it. I don't dislike BS. He represented, in public a positive image for the O's. However, IMO, he was a pretty conservative, old school, by the book type guy. 

32 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

They played like trash. On paper they were much better than the 2019 No Name O's which won 7 more games. Machado, Schoop, Jones, Gausman, O'Day, etc....47 wins is close to historically bad. Buck knew his contract was up, he and his team played like it. I don't dislike BS. He represented, in public a positive image for the O's. However, IMO, he was a pretty conservative, old school, by the book type guy. 

Buck was the right behind Maddon with all the IF shifting. He also pretty much shaped how bullpens are used right now. We made the playoffs because incredible performances from Britton, O’day, Brach, Matusz, Ayala, Strop, Hart, Givens, etc....Even Gausman. 

We were forced into a formula of homers and exceptional bullpen performances. As soon as the bullpen performances stopped we collapsed big time. Except for 2014, we were pretty much a band aid team that was playing wayyyyy over are heads. Buck gets a lot of credit for that. 

Everyone is mad about the WC game. But all Britton was going to do was extend the game for us by 1-2 Innings at most.  Britton was lights out in 2016 but kinda choked in the 2014 playoffs. Our hitters weren’t doing anything that game. We weren’t having good ABs or even hitting balls hard. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

47-115 with a team that should have better should disqualify him IMO. Moving Manny to SS  to pacify him should disqualify him. Lastly continuing to stick with CD, should disqualify him (no evidence, but I believe BS had PA's ear on the CD signing). 

Baseball is a business, Manny was not moved to short to pacify him.  He was moved to short to show he could play two positions and increase the number of trade partners.  It's the same reason he wanted to play short so that he would have more suitors in free agency.  Instead of teams looking for a third basemen the pool was increased to include teams that needed a shortstop.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UpstateNYfan said:

47-115 with a team that should have better should disqualify him IMO. 

Joe Torre had a .405 winning percentage with the Mets, including seasons of 63, 66, and 67 wins.  He was fired from the Cards' job after going 83-98 in his last season+.  Then he went on to a Hall of Fame career.

Casey Stengel's last four full seasons as a MLB manager before taking over the Yanks saw win totals of 63, 65, 62, and 59.

Hall of Fame manager Bill McKechnie once managed the Braves to a 38-115 record. They won 78 and 71 games on either side of that season.  He managed 11 more years afterwards, including two World Series teams.

Connie Mack managed the A's to consecutive seasons of 43, 36, 48, and 53 wins.  Later on he managed the same team to consecutive years of 91, 98, 104, 102, 107 and 94 wins.

Before becoming Babe Ruth's favorite manager and being inducted into Cooperstown Miller Huggins had seasons of 51 and 60 wins for the Cards.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daddy-O's said:

Baseball is a business, Manny was not moved to short to pacify him.  He was moved to short to show he could play two positions and increase the number of trade partners.  It's the same reason he wanted to play short so that he would have more suitors in free agency.  Instead of teams looking for a third basemen the pool was increased to include teams that needed a shortstop.

We had countless threads from the day Manny was called up until the day he moved to short about how he could be much more valuable playing there than third.  You know, like Cal.  I was on record saying I thought he would be more valuable at third, but I got the impression I was in the minority.

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We had countless threads from the day Manny was called up until the day he moved to short about how he could be much more valuable playing there than third.  You know, like Cal.  I was on record saying I thought he would be more valuable at third, but I got the impression I was in the minority.

I too was of the opinion to leave him at third. At third, you could make a case about his being the top 3rd active in MLB, he did things on the field nobody else could duplicate.

Moving to SS, while above defense, wasn't close to the top at that position.

11 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I don't think the Padres are going to put together a contender.

I did see an idea on the internet that the Orioles should trade Mancini for Hosmer, CJ Abrams, and Luis Patino. Crazy trade. Take on the 6 years/~$100M of Hosmer's contract with him at replacement level recently for two Top 50 prospects.

Will never happen of course, but it's a fun idea. Prospect value wise, it works out better for San Diego honestly but I doubt either team would be interested.

I would do that quicker than CJ Abrams running to first.  I would print my 2023-2027 playoff tickets immediately and book flights and hotels.  Dont know if the casual fan would be able to get their mind around the idea though.