Anyone got nine more years? ...

weams

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Why in the world at this point, knowing the things I've written and been told, that you would think I'm just speculating or giving an "opinion on this?"

I think its funny, go out and read all the so-called experts who are bringing up Buck as the favorite for the Philly job, and specifically said that Andy hired him, and they have a history together.

Geeze, can't these clowns do a little bit of research before popping off, like they know the 4-1-1? :)

14 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

One could say Buck's success proved Sweater Vest Andy wrong.  If Andy doesn't accept that, then Buck wouldn't be a candidate. However,  I'd like to believe Andy would be more open-minded to a reunion.   That is unless there was some unreported friction between the two. 

Was Andy really not wanting Buck, or was, he of the belief, that Wedge would be the better fit and his own first choice?

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because nothing in your post suggested you were relying on things you’d been told.    If now you’re saying you heard things, fine.   I have no reason to doubt you.   

PS — have you written on this before?   If so, I don’t remember it.  

I honestly thought this was all common knowledge and I'm pretty sure I've written about his. Wasn't this in my MacPhail piece before he left? I can't remember honestly. I know what I was told but don't remember all of the details at this point.

I remember hearing MacPhail did not want Buck because he knew Buck was all about gaining control. Once Buck came in and had success, in my opinion, MacPhail saw that he was going to lose influence since Buck had become an Angelos favorite. 

MacPhail then left the organization.  

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly thought this was all common knowledge and I'm pretty sure I've written about his. Wasn't this in my MacPhail piece before he left? I can't remember honestly. I know what I was told but don't remember all of the details at this point.

I remember hearing MacPhail did not want Buck because he knew Buck was all about gaining control. Once Buck came in and had success, in my opinion, MacPhail saw that he was going to lose influence since Buck had become an Angelos favorite. 

MacPhail then left the organization.  

I’m getting old.   I don’t remember if you wrote on this or not.    In any event, I agree that if that’s how Andy felt when he left Baltimore, he certainly wouldn’t want Buck now, especially after watching the power struggle that took place between Buck and DD after Andy left.     

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m getting old.   I don’t remember if you wrote on this or not.    In any event, I agree that if that’s how Andy felt when he left Baltimore, he certainly wouldn’t want Buck now, especially after watching the power struggle that took place between Buck and DD after Andy left.     

I don't even know if Andy has a role anymore in the decision so this entire conversation could be for naught. 

Andy MacPhail is a very honorable man.  He believes in having a full mandate to run the team from his owner.  He had that with the Twins and when he was President with the Cubs.   Peter Angelos became familiar with Andy when they both worked on the MLB Labor Agreement.   Peter liked him and hire him as President/GM for the O's in 2007.

There was no one between Peter and Andy.  There was a clear line of authority in 2007 when he was hire.  Trembley was certain a subordinate to MacPhail and not really involved with Peter.

Three years later the O's where still near he bottom of the division and Trembley was let go.   In the interview process for manager Peter liked Buck.   That gave Buck a line of communication with Peter. Andy liked Eric Wedge.   Andy no longer had a clear line of authority.   Peter liked Andy.  Peter liked Buck.  Buck liked Andy.   But when Andy's contract was up at the end of 2011 he didn't stay.

With the Phillies Andy had a clear line of Authority to Montgomery the owner.   But Mr Montgomery passed away.  Middleton the new managing partner has just seen to it that his manager was fired.    I have read the Andy wanted to keep Kapler.   Andy contract run through 2021.  I would not be surprised to see Andy bow out of the Phillies.  But he is an honorable man and if the Managing Partner wants him to stay he might through the end on contract  It will be interesting to see what happens next with Andy in Philly.

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Andy MacPhail is a very honorable man.  He believes in having a full mandate to run the team from his owner.  He had that with the Twins and when he was President with the Cubs.   Peter Angelos became familiar with Andy when they both worked on the MLB Labor Agreement.   Peter liked him and hire him as President/GM for the O's in 2007.

There was no one between Peter and Andy.  There was a clear line of authority in 2007 when he was hire.  Trembley was certain a subordinate to MacPhail and not really involved with Peter.

Three years later the O's where still near he bottom of the division and Trembley was let go.   In the interview process for manager Peter liked Buck.   That gave Buck a line of communication with Peter. Andy liked Eric Wedge.   Andy no longer had a clear line of authority.   Peter liked Andy.  Peter liked Buck.  Buck liked Andy.   But when Andy's contract was up at the end of 2011 he didn't stay.

With the Phillies Andy had a clear line of Authority to Montgomery the owner.   But Mr Montgomery passed away.  Middleton the new managing partner has just seen to it that his manager was fired.    I have read the Andy wanted to keep Kapler.   Andy contract run through 2021.  I would not be surprised to see Andy bow out of the Phillies.  But he is an honorable man and if the Managing Partner wants him to stay he might through the end on contract  It will be interesting to see what happens next with Andy in Philly.

MacPhail left because his father was dying and he wanted to spend more time with him. This is not a complicated story.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

MacPhail left because his father was dying and he wanted to spend more time with him. This is not a complicated story.

That does not fully explain it.   Many President/GMs if they don't want to commit to fully time work will take a consulting to the owner position.   Peter wanted Andy to stay.  If Andy wanted to be involved with the O's at that point something could have been worked out.  Andy thought it was time to leave.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That does not fully explain it.   Many President/GMs if they don't want to commit to fully time work will take a consulting to the owner position.   Peter wanted Andy to stay.  If Andy wanted to be involved with the O's at that point something could have been worked out.  Andy thought it was time to leave.

How do you know that doesn't fully explain it? Maybe it does and you've just come up with a bunch of hooey because you like your version better.