MiLB contraction

weams

I am concerned about it from a player development standpoint as well as the loss of local baseball.  Not player development for the top guys added to the system each year but for the guy drafted in the 24th round.  Teams will have to make quicker judgements on who is going to be great. With fewer minor league teams, a late draftee will have essentially one year to prove he's better than the team thought or he's done.  We've all heard the stories of the guys who used to come out of nowhere or the 42nd round.  Good scouting has already reduced that number considerably, but now they would be taking away chances to prove oneself.  Wasn't it just a couple of months ago, we were wishing we had Bluefield back so our players had an extra opportunity above Florida?

Personally I enjoy minor league ball more than major league--smaller crowds, sitting closer to the field, cheaper prices, travelling 30 or 50 miles instead of 500 to get there--so I would oppose any effort to cut the minors.  Heck I even enjoyed it when Frederick came to the local stadium even though I didn't see anyone on the field that I thought would ever make the majors. And I used to be spoiled, having seen Palmer, Belanger, Etchebarren (sp?) and Bumbry go through my home town on the way to Baltimore.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I’d bet there are plenty of Marylanders outside the Hangout who know who Rutschman is.    Roch Kubatko has 56,000 followers and I’d bet the majority could tell you who Rutschman is.   The Hangout may be the best site for getting Orioles info and discussion, but it’s not the only one.

I could be wrong.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

I am concerned about it from a player development standpoint as well as the loss of local baseball.  Not player development for the top guys added to the system each year but for the guy drafted in the 24th round.  Teams will have to make quicker judgements on who is going to be great. With fewer minor league teams, a late draftee will have essentially one year to prove he's better than the team thought or he's done.  We've all heard the stories of the guys who used to come out of nowhere or the 42nd round.  Good scouting has already reduced that number considerably, but now they would be taking away chances to prove oneself.  Wasn't it just a couple of months ago, we were wishing we had Bluefield back so our players had an extra opportunity above Florida?

Personally I enjoy minor league ball more than major league--smaller crowds, sitting closer to the field, cheaper prices, travelling 30 or 50 miles instead of 500 to get there--so I would oppose any effort to cut the minors.  Heck I even enjoyed it when Frederick came to the local stadium even though I didn't see anyone on the field that I thought would ever make the majors. And I used to be spoiled, having seen Palmer, Belanger, Etchebarren (sp?) and Bumbry go through my home town on the way to Baltimore.

Mostly they are 100 percent right on the choices preceding the 24th round. Especially in the modern game.  Sure a guy starts using PEDs or finds yoga and he is suddenly great but almost never. 

These are not the good old days. They could draft for 20 rounds and still get all the good ones. The reason for the longer drafts has mostly been  to keep the Yankees from funding 37 minor league teams. Other than the Marlins. I do think that independant ball would satisfy the need for local baseball. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

Mostly they are 100 percent right on the choices preceding the 24th round. Especially in the modern game.  Sure a guy starts using PEDs or finds yoga and he is suddenly great but almost never. 

These are not the good old days. They could draft for 20 rounds and still get all the good ones. The reason for the longer drafts has mostly been  to keep the Yankees from funding 37 minor league teams. Other than the Marlins. I do think that independant ball would satisfy the need for local baseball. 

Undrafted high school kids can go to college and undrafted college kids have foreign leagues and indy ball.

44 minutes ago, weams said:

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Undrafted high school kids can go to college and undrafted college kids have foreign leagues and indy ball.

37 minutes ago, weams said:

If they get drafted in the top 10 rounds, I think they should play pro ball. If not, they should make them go to school.  It would have helped many of them. 

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, school isn't for everyone.

19 minutes ago, weams said:

Don't allow them to be drafted after round 10. Go wherever they want.  

1. Indy ball has a higher threshold for fiscal viability than affiliated ball because they have to pay for players and coaches salaries.  If the Appy League got contracted there would be no indy league replacement because 887 fans a game means you'd be paying players $15 a day and jar of apple butter.

2. How many baseball scholarships does a D-I team have?  Like, six or something?  I doubt that changes if there happens to be 40 minor league teams worth of kids who want to go to college.  For a lot of guys who would have been 33rd round draft picks they're now going to have to figure out a way to pay to go to college.  For better or for worse, contracting 40-some teams means probably 400 or 600 guys aren't baseball players any more, and they won't even get to tell their grandkids they once played for the Pulaski Braves.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

1. Indy ball has a higher threshold for fiscal viability than affiliated ball because they have to pay for players and coaches salaries.  If the Appy League got contracted there would be no indy league replacement because 887 fans a game means you'd be paying players $15 a day and jar of apple butter.

Very similar to their current wages. Unless Rickey comes back to play Or Roger. 

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

2. How many baseball scholarships does a D-I team have?  Like, six or something?  I doubt that changes if there happens to be 40 minor league teams worth of kids who want to go to college.  For a lot of guys who would have been 33rd round draft picks they're now going to have to figure out a way to pay to go to college.  For better or for worse, contracting 40-some teams means probably 400 or 600 guys aren't baseball players any more, and they won't even get to tell their grandkids they once played for the Pulaski Braves.

11.7 baseball scholarships which means a good player, a good player is likely at a one-third scholarship. And I agree nothing would change in terms of more college money since they can't get close to approving a third assistant coach. 

And that 33rd round pick is likely looking at a signing bonus between $1,000 and $5,000. That kids decision between whether to sign a pro contract or go to school likely wouldn't be affected but his "term" in pro ball would. Lots of guys sign with the team taking an attitude of "lets see if he develops and surprises us". I think those guys get way less time to develop before they're released. Then their choice is an indy league or start working for a living. 

• Upvote 2