Who will be the #3 and #4 prospects?

Tony-OH

Who will be the #3 and #4 prospects?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the #3 and #4 prospects?

• Diaz and DL Hall
    • DL Hall and Diaz
    • DL Hall and Mountcastle
    • DL Hall and Baumann
    • Mountcastle and DL Hall

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Yep. There's no doubt that guys like Baumann and Mountcastle had better years. It was kind of a lost year for Diaz. I give him a bit of a pass because of injuries and I think he was good late in the year. His story is kind of like Hays' to me. Not that they're the same types of player; just that there's more to their profiles than their performance has demonstrated in the last 1-2 years. 

Of course, that's good reason to knock them down a notch. It's not like the people coming up with the rankings are damning them for life. They'll just reflect the reality of what's happened.

And as Luke and i have pointed out before, it's more important that the "Most Likely" and Ceilings are correct then who is #3 vs #4. But, everyone likes lists so we really do try and use my system of, "If I can only have one, who would I take." Sometimes they are the exact level of prospect but they may have one thing that puts them minutely over the other. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Another write-up I can't wait to see. I'm wondering if he has make up problems. On essentially box scores, I'd consider him for #4 for sure. It's just this internet thing that makes me think there's more going on that I can't know about.

On "You can only have one"...I take Diaz over Trey Mancini. 

30 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd say that's a pretty lofty opinion. I tend to agree. Love the approach and physicality. Has a little more positional value than Mancini even if the hit tool doesn't quite get to the same level. I do think more power is coming. I blame his issues on health, but again, fear make-up is an issue just based on things (small hints, never specific) I've seen on the interwebs.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'd say that's a pretty lofty opinion. I tend to agree. Love the approach and physicality. Has a little more positional value than Mancini even if the hit tool doesn't quite get to the same level. I do think more power is coming. I blame his issues on health, but again, fear make-up is an issue just based on things (small hints, never specific) I've seen on the interwebs.

Little more?  I bet he's better in center than Mancini is in left.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Yep. There's no doubt that guys like Baumann and Mountcastle had better years. It was kind of a lost year for Diaz. I give him a bit of a pass because of injuries and I think he was good late in the year. 

As Luke has pointed out a few times, Diaz actually had a higher OPS+ at Bowie than Mountcastle had at Norfolk.   The Eastern League was an extreme pitchers’ league in 2019 and the International League swung over to the hitters due to using the major league ball.     So I don’t really consider this a “lost year” for Diaz.     

That said, Diaz never got out of AA, mostly due to his injuries, so in that sense it was disappointing.    I have gotten the impression from a number of things I’ve read that even when he was playing, Diaz was hampered with leg injuries, and he really needs to spend this winter first getting 100% healthy and second conditioning his legs so that he won’t have these same issues in 2020.     

I think if he’s healthy he’ll play very well at Norfolk and be ready for the majors in short order if we need him.    

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, weams said:

I think that is true of most people, if given the choice. That’s not really a comparison. Mancini does very little well, but what he does well is hit. He can’t run, he can’t defend, he can’t draw a walk, but when he hits it, it goes a long way.

The hope/Expectation is that Diaz will do everything Trey does, and more besides. But he did have a down year.

5 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Luke made a post last week comparing Baumann to BAs #99 rated prospect and the O's have 4 on that Top 100 list. May be reading into it too much, but makes me think at least Luke sees him in that conversation of #5 in our system. I think that's more of a tip of the hat to Baumann than a knock on some other talented guys in our system. 

Agreed I chose Hall and Bauman. Mountcastle’s lack of walks and a definitive position doesn’t keep him in top 4 and Diaz is too inconsistent right now.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not too worried about Mountcastle’s defense. The guy is going to mash. We’ll find a place to play him. We had some really good teams where Nelson Cruz, Steve Pearce, and Delmon Young were the COF. 

For whatever reason, by the advanced metrics Pearce had a fantastic season on defense in 2014 (+9 Rtot, +9 Rdrs, +3.8 UZR in the OF).   Cruz also had a surprisingly decent year (-2, +4, +0.3).   And we had a fantastic late inning defensive replacement, David Lough (+7, +10, +4.9).    The 2014 team had very solid defense everywhere, including the OF, despite Delmon Young (-1, -4, -0.5 in 18 starts, 28 games in the OF).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not too worried about Mountcastle’s defense. The guy is going to mash. We’ll find a place to play him. We had some really good teams where Nelson Cruz, Steve Pearce, and Delmon Young were the COF. 

He'll play batter's box

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Hall is definitely #3 because Tony said he was 2B in the other thread. I think it is probably Mountcastle but I am going out on a limb with Bauman. He took a major leap last year and Mountcastle is a flawed player with a low ceiling due to defense.

Possible. Luke started talking more about Baumann having pitch mix to be mid rotation starter and fringe top 100 prospect late in the season. Early in the year, he had him as a FB/Slider pitcher with bullpen potential

Add two points for the following people:

• DirtyBird

23 hours ago
  • John Welch

23 hours ago
  • Satyr3206

Satyr3206

23 hours ago
  • MarCakes21

23 hours ago
  • Ripken

Ripken