Thursday's Hot Stove Show

Going Underground

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Protecting 4-5 players means that Klimek, Alvarado, Muckenhirn and Fenter will all be exposed to the draft.

I think you are taking "4-5 players", a loose figure in and of itself, as too much of a concrete statement about how many players the Orioles are going to protect.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, weams said:

“This will enable him to spend a little bit more time with the major league team, kind of officially have a hand in what’s going on with the players in the major leagues,” Elias said. “But with Doug Brocail being a very experienced major league pitching coach, very experienced major league pitcher, still maintaining his day-to-day oversight and being able to tap into Chris’ technological expertise and his knowledge of these guys in the minor leagues, because a lot of these guys coming up are going to be coming from the minors this year.”

It only works with Brocail and Holt being on the same page with no concerns about interference. With no treading on toes.

“They worked together in Houston, they worked together this year,” Elias said. “I think Doug, in a lot of ways, has been a mentor for Chris. Chris is from a little more of a minor league background, a little bit more affluent in some of the tech that we had been using in the very recent years in Houston after Doug had left and gone to the Rangers. So I think it’s a really good pairing and it’s the type of structure that, if we found the right person we might implement on the hitting side, too, but this only works if you really feel like you have the right guy and the right people in place.”

“This is a structure we’re seeing more and more across the league and it’s just part of the changing landscape of the sport where the major leagues and the minor leagues are not two separate islands and there’s development going on across both levels. And particularly for a team in our situation with a lot of young players coming, not a lot of veteran free agents right now,” Elias said.

• Upvote 1

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/11/elias-on-rule-5-considerations-cobb-and-more.html

“It’s a good point. The 26th roster spot, which is going to go into effect this year, could conceivably make it a little easier for a team to carry a Rule 5 pick,” executive vice president/general manager Mike Elias said earlier this week on the “Hot Stove Show” on 105.7 The Fan.

“We were able to do it this year with Richie Martin and carry him all year, even though his bat wasn’t ready fully for the major leagues. Part of that was because we needed infield depth and we needed a shortstop and his defense was ready. And certainly if something like that exists this year, one of our players could be in danger of it or we be the team that’s looking to do it again.

“I don’t know. We’re still deciding on some guys, but I would guess that we’re going to protect four to five players.”

“I think having some more people who are capable of playing shortstop will make us feel better going into the year,” Elias said.

“Now that’s a tough thing to find. That’s an in-demand position. It’s tough to find in college, it’s tough to find in the draft, it’s tough to find in minor league free agency, it’s tough to find in major league free agency. So we’ll have no shortage of competition looking for those guys, but I think that you’ll see us try to bring in other guys who can add depth in the middle infield and particularly a defensive option at shortstop and bring some of those guys into spring training, hopefully.”

On 11/8/2019 at 6:29 AM, wildcard said:

Protecting 4-5 players means that Klimek, Alvarado, Muckenhirn and Fenter will all be exposed to the draft.

I was just thinking this morning; Alvarado is a Rule 5 guy if he's not a free agent; since he didn't apply for Free Agency, then working out a new contract with the Orioles would have to include a Major League selection, no?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I was just thinking this morning; Alvarado is a Rule 5 guy if he's not a free agent; since he didn't apply for Free Agency, then working out a new contract with the Orioles would have to include a Major League selection, no?

I don't know what you mean by a Major League selection.  

Once a player is signed to a minor league contract they are under team control for 4 years for players signed at the age of 19 or older and 5 years for players 18 and younger.    After that they have to be put on the Major League roster or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.    That is true  for Alvarado, Klimek and Murkenhirn as well as several other O's minor leaguers.   Its just a question of whether some other team likes them enough to put them on their major league 26 man roster for a season.

If they are not selected in the Rule 5 draft that remain under O's control until they have 6 years in the minor leagues at which time they can become minor league free agents unless they are added to the major league 40 man roster.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't know what you mean by a Major League selection.  

Once a player is signed to a minor league contract they are under team control for 4 years for players signed at the age of 19 or older and 5 years for players 18 and younger.    After that they have to be put on the Major League roster or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft.    That is true  for Alvarado, Klimek and Murkenhirn as well as several other O's minor leaguers.   Its just a question of whether some other team likes them enough to put them on their major league 26 man roster for a season.

If they are not selected in the Rule 5 draft that remain under O's control until they have 6 years in the minor leagues at which time they can become minor league free agents unless they are added to the major league 40 man roster.

So tell me: Alvarado has been with the O’s for seven years and signed a new minor league contract last year. He should be a free agent right now. But he didn’t show up in minor league free agency, presumably because he’s working a new deal with the O’s. I still think he is a free agent; this happened with the Red Sox when Austin Maddox et al re-signed yesterday. Those players were not included in the MiLB free agent list.

But Alvarado also has enough service time to be a Rule 5 selection... does that matter if he signed a new contract with the O’s? If he re-signs with us does that then mean he’s exposed to the Rule 5 draft? If yes, then why re-sign him if he won’t be protected?

5 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

So tell me: Alvarado has been with the O’s for seven years and signed a new minor league contract last year. He should be a free agent right now. But he didn’t show up in minor league free agency, presumably because he’s working a new deal with the O’s. I still think he is a free agent; this happened with the Red Sox when Austin Maddox et al re-signed yesterday. Those players were not included in the MiLB free agent list.

But Alvarado also has enough service time to be a Rule 5 selection... does that matter if he signed a new contract with the O’s? If he re-signs with us does that then mean he’s exposed to the Rule 5 draft? If yes, then why re-sign him if he won’t be protected?

Even if Alvarado, Klimek and Muckenhirn have signed minor league contracts with the O's they still can be selected in the Rule 5 draft.  The only thing that would not make them eligible for the Rule 5 draft is if they are on a 40 man MLB roster.   

Signing a minor league contract means that if they are not selected in the Rule 5 draft they will still be with the Orioles instead on being a minor league free agent.  Why would they sign minor league contracts?   Several reasons.  1) They may have been offered an invitation to MLB ST or 2) the may have been convinced by O's mgt that they have on good chance of making it to the majors with the O's.  3) Or maybe they were offered a big enough salary to make signing hard to turn down.  It could be any combination of these 3.

3 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I said it before, but Xavier Edwards is a guy I’d target. Completely blocked at 2B/SS by guys who are young stars and going nowhere soon. San Diego is getting close to being a monster. We’ve got have something that would tempt them. 

Mychal Givens. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Mychal Givens. 

Done!  Here’s an excerpt from the San Diego Union Tribune:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2019-08-21/padres-minor-leagues-xavier-edwards-2018-mlb-draft-lake-elsinore-storm%3f_amp=true

“He’s played shortstop nearly as often as second base in a little over a year in the system, two positions manned by Tatis and Luis Urias in the majors. Below that, middle infielders Owen Miller and Ivan Castillo are among the Double-A Texas League’s top hitters, shortstop Gabriel Arias is enjoying a breakthrough season at Lake Elsinore and CJ Abrams will be nipping at Edwards’ heels as soon as he can return from his shoulder injury.

Not all of those players will suit up for the Padres, who appear poised to redistribute some of their prospect wealth to bolster holes at the major league level this offseason.”