2019 #11 Prospect: Dean Kremer - RHP

Tony-OH

Honestly, the fact that our No.11 prospect has a very realistic chance to be a solid back-end starter has me excited. That's better depth than we've had in the system in a while. Between Grayson, Hall, Lowther, Baumann, and Kremer, that's five legitimate starting prospects while the team still has others like Akin and a few others that have an outside chance to pop and stick. And, there's an All-Star and ROY finalist in Means already in the rotation.

The future pitching is looking brighter.

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

According to the write-ups, Baumann has a 60 FB and a 60 Slider. Kremer has a 50/50 FB/Curveball. That's kind of different. I agree about the third pitch, but Baumann was throwing 98 in the 9th inning of a complete game. I get that it was AA and a pitcher's environment. Still, that physicality is on a different level than Kremer. Even Baumann's command was at least on par with Kremer's this year.

I get that Kremer didn't have a great year, but if everything clicks for Baumann, he's a much better pitcher than if everything clicks for Kremer. 

60 fastball and a 60 slider makes Baumann a better reliever than Kremer.  Whoever come up with that 3rd pitch will be the better starter.  Hopefully both do.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

60 fastball and a 60 slider makes Baumann a better reliever than Kremer.  Whoever come up with that 3rd pitch will be the better starter.  Hopefully both do.

No. It makes him better than Kremer, all other things being equal. Whoever comes up with the 3rd pitch or otherwise improves would have improved from the current assessment, which has Baumann better than Kremer.

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

No. It makes him better than Kremer, all other things being equal. Whoever comes up with the 3rd pitch or otherwise improves would have improved from the current assessment, which has Baumann better than Kremer.

Currently, Baumann’s third and fourth best pitches are both rated higher (45/50) than Kremer’s third best pitch (40/45).     Accordingly, I agree Baumann is rated the better pitcher regardless of whether they are starting or relieving right now.   It remains to be seen if either will be an effective starter, however.   

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Currently, Baumann’s third and fourth best pitches are both rated higher (45/50) than Kremer’s third best pitch (40/45).     Accordingly, I agree Baumann is rated the better pitcher regardless of whether they are starting or relieving right now.   It remains to be seen if either will be an effective starter, however.   

You're assuming the rating are accurate and/or up to date.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Baumann has much better stuff than Kremer. It’s not close at all. Kremer has a better delivery and better command IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Wow, that's a pretty aggressive shot across our bow. The ratings are up to date but you can decide if you think they are accurate. They are as accurate  as hundreds of hours of scouting will make them.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, like Tony said, you can argue our assessment abilities, but not the up to date-ness of our reports. Outside of rookie ball guys, our reports are up to date for the later part of the second half of 2019. That’s much more current than what you’ll find elsewhere where some rankings are on year old reports and stats. I’m always looking for potential profile changes, that’s really all I look for when watching a player I already have a number of looks on.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

I figured it was going to be a tough decision for who was the better SP prospect after Hall and Rodriguez. Lowther sandwiched in the middle actually makes me feel better about the system. 

The fact that we are even having a debate about who is better between a guy that led the minors in strikeouts versus a guy that was unhittable at certain points last year, speaks volumes of our system. 

Hopefully Kremer can get back to his 2018 ways with a healthy season. Usually an oblique injury leads to a lost season for a baseball player. So the fact that he overcame that, is a huge positive. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Wow, that's a pretty aggressive shot across our bow. The ratings are up to date but you can decide if you think they are accurate. They are as accurate  as hundreds of hours of scouting will make them.

Lol, I did not mean that personally! Actually I figured the ratings were pulled from mlb.com or one of the scouting websites. Did not realize you guys are doing them yourselves up to the minute. In any case, the whole 40/50/60 scale by its nature involves a lot of subjectivity - especially with pitchers - so it does not surprise me that a guy with lower numbers might be ranked higher. I put a lot more stock in your guys' overall rankings than the tools scales.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, I did not mean that personally! Actually I figured the ratings were pulled from mlb.com or one of the scouting websites. Did not realize you guys are doing them yourselves up to the minute. In any case, the whole 40/50/60 scale by its nature involves a lot of subjectivity - especially with pitchers - so it does not surprise me that a guy with lower numbers might be ranked higher. I put a lot more stock in your guys' overall rankings than the tools scales.

I agree that the tools scale leads to subjectivity when it comes to pitches, especially when we are giving one grade for each pitch and not breaking them down into velocity, movement and command. Saying that, you really didn't know we do our own scouting? I don't even read scouting reports from other sites. I do my own, then talk with other scouts and current/former player development people in the industry, then discuss with Luke (who does his own scouting). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree that the tools scale leads to subjectivity when it comes to pitches, especially when we are giving one grade for each pitch and not breaking them down into velocity, movement and command. Saying that, you really didn't know we do our own scouting? I don't even read scouting reports from other sites. I do my own, then talk with other scouts and current/former player development people in the industry, then discuss with Luke (who does his own scouting). 

Of course I know you guys watch the players and do the writeups. I had no idea where the 40/50/60 numbers came from or how often updated.

• 2 months later...