Astros Stealing Signs in 2017

TonySoprano

11 hours ago, theocean said:

If Elias was involved - and he was the assistant general manager during the period in question - he should be held accountable. Being on the O's payroll doesn't get him a pass.

His responsibilities were drafting and MiL player development.   Hard to imagine he had anything to do with it.    Did he know about it?   That’s conceivable.  

I hope the Astros GM gets a lifetime ban if he was involved.  I am so sick of hearing about the Astros. Tanking is cheating in my opinion.  And they got the guy from the Cardinals a prison term because they didn’t change their passwords when they switched teams. Disgusting franchise.  

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

I hope the Astros GM gets a lifetime ban if he was involved.  I am so sick of hearing about the Astros. Tanking is cheating in my opinion.  And they got the guy from the Cardinals a prison term because they didn’t change their passwords when they switched teams. Disgusting franchise.  

Yep, that's who to blame.

I blame the guy who left his car unlocked for my uncle getting charged with grand theft auto.

My uncle never got charged with Grand Theft Auto, sorry I don't know a lot of criminals, I'd apologize to him but I was thinking about the one that was dead.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, that's who to blame.

I blame the guy who left his car unlocked for my uncle getting charged with grand theft auto.

My uncle never got charged with Grand Theft Auto, sorry I don't know a lot of criminals, I'd apologize to him but I was thinking about the one that was dead.

My point is that guy went to jail for cheating in similar fashion against them.  So organized video sign stealing deserves lifetime ban for GM and coaches.  Long suspensions for players involved.  If a lifetime ban happens it will stop other teams from doing it in the future.  

Astros should also lose multiple draft picks. 

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

My point is that guy went to jail for cheating in similar fashion against them.  So organized video sign stealing deserves lifetime ban for GM and coaches.  Long suspensions for players involved.  If a lifetime ban happens it will stop other teams from doing it in the future.  

Astros should also lose multiple draft picks. 

It wasn't even close to a similar fashion.

Sure the guy was naive and didn't realize the severity of the punishment for the crimes he was committing but what he did was well beyond what the Astros did.  Correa was breaking federal laws, committing felonies.

I notice you aren't talking about the Brewers or Rangers losing draft picks or getting guys fired.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, Can_of_corn said:

All the teams cheat whenever they think they can get away with it right?

Also, not sure that was a great decision by Fiers, it isn't as if he wasn't being helped by the illicit activities and yet he comes clean now.

Don’t see anything wrong with someone that was benefitting later realizing the error in their ways later coming clean but: how did Fiers personally benefit? Not sure if I missed something but as far as I can tell this only helped the batters. I guess he got playoff/WS bonuses?

Just now, survivedc said:

Don’t see anything wrong with someone that was benefitting later realizing the error in their ways later coming clean but: how did Fiers personally benefit? Not sure if I missed something but as far as I can tell this only helped the batters. I guess he got playoff/WS bonuses?

If the batters for your team are cheating while you are pitching how are you not sharing in that advantage?

I also doubt his sincerity since he is now playing for a division rival.

Seems convenient.

My point is he wasn’t directly benefitting. His numbers weren’t directly better because the team cheated. He was part of more wins but he didn’t strike more guys out because of it. 

Unless you want to say guys swing bigger and strike out more when they are down, fine. It’s not like a guy hits 40 homers then volunteers that he only did it cuz of cheating.

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

My point is he wasn’t directly benefitting. His numbers weren’t directly better because the team cheated. He was part of more wins but he didn’t strike more guys out because of it. 

Unless you want to say guys swing bigger and strike out more when they are down, fine. It’s not like a guy hits 40 homers then volunteers that he only did it cuz of cheating.

His teammates cheating increased his chances of winning.  That is a direct benefit.  You could also make a case that it caused him less stressful innings if you wished.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His teammates cheating increased his chances of winning.  That is a direct benefit.  You could also make a case that it caused him less stressful innings if you wished.

No one cares about win loss record anymore.  

You would think that pitchers and catchers would devise a better system to call pitches

3 hours ago, andrewochs615 said:

Wonder if Elias and Sig get in trouble for this. 

Sig was doing a minor league gig at the time. It was Fast in the Nerd Cave. Elias was scouting the DR and doing the Draft. No reason to be banging a gong. I doubt any real association other than not being finks. Besides. I believe all the prominent clubs have a methodology.