Rule 5 thoughts

Roll Tide

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We lacked system depth in the OF and we took Taverez and Santander, and that was in a season where we were trying to "compete".  Santander has worked out.  I think you're a little off on 1%.  Rodriguez can handle SS defensively while we allow Martin to get some AB's in AAA.  Juvier/Newton/Arauz would be our long term plan.   

I care very little about this perceived problem that we need to "cover innings".  We shouldn't be sacrificing anything of potential value for 2022+ to do anything for this 2020 team.  What's the worst that could happen?  We lost 112 instead of 105?   Who cares?  It like one extra loss every 12 days or something.  I think we'll be ok.  

The arms like Zach Brown don't do it for me.  I'd rather us take a Jordan Sheffield type.  

Santander was a "we can stash him on the DL and give him September reps" pick, while Tavarez was pretty much "taking a flyer" that didn't work out in the Spring.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We lacked system depth in the OF and we took Taverez and Santander, and that was in a season where we were trying to "compete".  Santander has worked out.  I think you're a little off on 1%.  Rodriguez can handle SS defensively while we allow Martin to get some AB's in AAA.  Juvier/Newton/Arauz would be our long term plan.   

I care very little about this perceived problem that we need to "cover innings".  We shouldn't be sacrificing anything of potential value for 2022+ to do anything for this 2020 team.  What's the worst that could happen?  We lost 112 instead of 105?   Who cares?  It like one extra loss every 12 days or something.  I think we'll be ok.  

The arms like Zach Brown don't do it for me.  I'd rather us take a Jordan Sheffield type.  

Different managment team .... pitching wasn't as big of a problem. I really like Sheffield by the way.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with choosing multiple guys in the rule five draft. Choose three, choose four. Keep one and send the rest home. It’s just spring training, and if you choose somebody and the new coaching eyes and techniques accomplish something, a fellow might be worth keeping.

Martin was basically exactly what everybody expected: Good defense and light bat. I don’t know what Mike is going to be prioritizing, but someone like Martin who is very close to his ceiling, or who at least has a high floor, or someone who is way far away but has a very high ceiling.

But I think we’ll pick at least two guys, possibly three, and plan on keeping one.

Edited by Philip
Typo

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Santander was a "we can stash him on the DL and give him September reps" pick, while Tavarez was pretty much "taking a flyer" that didn't work out in the Spring.

Tavares was a scouting the stat line deal. He had mediocre tools at best but had put up a huge OBP.

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Tavares was a scouting the stat line deal. He had mediocre tools at best but had put up a huge OBP.

Had a decent season this year with the Generales de Durango. Probably making a little more money there than he was making with AA Portland prior to his release.

28 minutes ago, interloper said:

I agree with others here that we should just go nuts on upside/tools/ceiling. Initially I thought maybe we should go with usability (aka innings eater), but I mean screw that. We'll find people to throw to the wolves. Might as well take a shot on talent. 

Exactly.  Bring on Juvier or Newton.  

@Luke-OH

Am I off base here for thinking that Jordan Sheffield’s profile is real similar to Hunter Harvey?

Both are 24 and failed SP, w/injury histories. Both are FB/CB/CU guys, that struggle with command at times. The difference I see is height. 

I thought I was against relievers for this year’s team in the rule 5, but I think we have to take Sheffield with our #2 pick. 

In one sense we should ask ourselves, “what is the easiest kind of player to find?”

I think it is clear that when you’re expecting something like replacement level players, relievers are the easiest to find. Our catchers aren’t very good,  but they are adequate for the moment, I think we need more than anything else is a solid middle infielder. Another second baseman perhaps.

If there’s Another Ryan Flaherty available that would certainly be my first choice.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

In one sense we should ask ourselves, “what is the easiest kind of player to find?”

I think it is clear that when you’re expecting something like replacement level players, relievers are the easiest to find. Our catchers aren’t very good,  but they are adequate for the moment, I think we need more than anything else is a solid middle infielder. Another second baseman perhaps.

If there’s Another Ryan Flaherty available that would certainly be my first choice.

There isn't a Flaherty comp available. 

My favorite not stash middle infielder is Yonny Hernandez. He's a pure utility guy, but he's a good defender at 2B/SS/3B and a plus runner. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Luke-OH

Am I off base here for thinking that Jordan Sheffield’s profile is real similar to Hunter Harvey?

Both are 24 and failed SP, w/injury histories. Both are FB/CB/CU guys, that struggle with command at times. The difference I see is height. 

I thought I was against relievers for this year’s team in the rule 5, but I think we have to take Sheffield with our #2 pick. 

Harvery struggled with command, Sheffield struggles with control and consistency of stuff (caused by mechanical inconsistency). That's why one is in the majors and the other is Rule 5 eligible. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Luke-OH

Harvey's issue is that he couldn't stay healthy.

Sheffield's issue is that he can't consistently throw strikes.

The hope in moving Sheffield to the pen was that his stuff would play up and he wouldn't have to worry about locating 4 different pitches and his control and consistency would improve. His strikeout rate increased on the move to the pen, but his walk rate did too. With his pedigree, my guess is he is selected, he is potentially worth an off-season 40-man roster spot and a long look in the spring by coaches with fresh eyes, but I suspect Orioles might prefer other players.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:05 AM, Philip said:

On the one hand, number three prospect is enticing, but on the other hand, teams make bad draft picks every year, and the Brewers have smart guys too, they’re not giving up on him without good reason. On the other hand, I think the goal in this rule five is to get some competent infielders. On the other hand, I don’t know, but our last guy named Zach was pretty successful, so there’s that.

It's like getting baseball analysis from Durga.

Maa-Durga-2011-desktop-wallpapers3-768x5

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/27/2019 at 1:09 PM, Luke-OH said:

There isn't a Flaherty comp available. 

My favorite not stash middle infielder is Yonny Hernandez. He's a pure utility guy, but he's a good defender at 2B/SS/3B and a plus runner. 

Harvery struggled with command, Sheffield struggles with control and consistency of stuff (caused by mechanical inconsistency). That's why one is in the majors and the other is Rule 5 eligible. 

On 11/27/2019 at 1:10 PM, MurphDogg said:

Harvey's issue is that he couldn't stay healthy.

Sheffield's issue is that he can't consistently throw strikes.

The hope in moving Sheffield to the pen was that his stuff would play up and he wouldn't have to worry about locating 4 different pitches and his control and consistency would improve. His strikeout rate increased on the move to the pen, but his walk rate did too. With his pedigree, my guess is he is selected, he is potentially worth an off-season 40-man roster spot and a long look in the spring by coaches with fresh eyes, but I suspect Orioles might prefer other players.

Thanks for the responses. I like Sheffield.  Looks like we will be targeting SS with Villar officially out of the equation. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thanks for the responses. I like Sheffield.  Looks like we will be targeting SS with Villar officially out of the equation. 

I’ve been watching some tape on Sheffield and wow, he’s a mess. I still think he could be a team’s second pick if the team made multiple picks. As a bring to camp and try to fix him flyer. He loses his curveball for games at a time, he has well below average command. He takes a ridiculous amount of time between pitches, like trying to gather himself. I’ve definitely softened on him.