Rule 5 thoughts

Roll Tide

13 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Santander was coming off shoulder surgery when the Orioles drafted him in the Rule 5 draft.  Hence the Indians did not think they needed to protect a player from A Ball that was not 100%.

In that case, he definitely fits the profile of neglected gem(or a risky acquisition that turned out well.)

Given the current circumstances, I’d be happy to try that again.

28 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t know if Santander was looked at very carefully and unprotected regardless, or if he was a talented player the Indians allowed to let go unintentionally, but it would be really interesting to look at the other guys that are eligible that are not on the top 30 list.

Jon Shepard used to speak of finding a rule five guy who had “one loud tool”And maybe there’s some neglected guys down on a farm somewhere who could be good for us?

It would be a tremendous amount of work to go through all 29 teams looking for someone like that, so I’m not going to make that request of you, But I would be very interested in knowing what parameters you would set if you were going to make a search like that? If you can tell me what to look for, I’ll see if I can do the footwork myself.

You don’t need to make that request of me, I do a deep dive into the Rule 5 draft every year and put out a preference list rankings the players. I’ll be doing one again this year.

Santander fell into the category of too far away to carry (at least in the Indians point of view). He was in A+ ball and limited defensively, especially at the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

So team rankings can be deceptive.

According to Fangraphs midseason update these were the top prospects left unprotected. (all 45s)

Shervyon Newton

Moises Gomez

Resly Linares

Zack Brown

Esteury Ruiz

Luis Oviedo

I imagine Brown will be a 40 on the offseason update though after watching him and often the top prospects left unprotected aren’t the best options because those players are looked at very carefully by their teams and if they’re left unprotected it usually means they don’t live up to the billing or are too far away to stick. 

Shervyon Newton  0 chance in my opinion the guy is 20 and his highest level is the Sally!

Moises Gomez his .220 in A ball ...21 years old .... No chance

Resly Linares Pitcher 21 A ball ...5.79 ERA

Esteury Ruiz 21 A ball .630 OPS    no chance

Luis Oviedo 20 5.38 ERA in A ball

The only guy that has a chance to stick in this group IMO is Brown

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Shervyon Newton  0 chance in my opinion the guy is 20 and his highest level is the Sally!

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-in-the-2019-rule-5-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Jordan Sheffield is the Pitcher I want. Gomez, Arauz, Javier, Newton, and the other SS, intrigue me. The rule 5 should be about 2022+ for us. Draft and stash.  But we’re going to drop 100, play em. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/top-prospects-in-the-2019-rule-5-draft?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Jordan Sheffield is the Pitcher I want. Gomez, Arauz, Javier, Newton, and the other SS, intrigue me. The rule 5 should be about 2022+ for us. Draft and stash.  But we’re going to drop 100, play em. 

Well I agree ! I mentioned Brown on Luke's list! None of those other guys will be in the majors in 2022 IMO

Jordan Sheffield .... yeah I like it! Double A ...3 ish ERA This is a guy that can be ready for 2022

Moises Gomez, OF ..... No chance IMO .... Maybe you can keep him . But he's not ready as a hitter and I doubt he will be in 2020 either...Only 20 years old

Jonathan Arauz  Same thing 20 years old .... no chance low OBP ...low OPS

Wander Javier   Same thing 20 years old  ..... No chance!

Shervyen Newton  same thing ...20 hit .209 .613 OPS in the Sally

IMO none of these guys has a prayer! None will likely be an impact in in 2022

Lucas Erceg  is a possibility still only 24 ...Has some power but 2020 would be a lost year.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'll take Sterling Sharp over Brandon Bailey, Luis Escobar or Montana DuRapau. 

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I wasn’t arguing for any of these guys, just saying they are the top prospects as ranked by Fangraphs unprotected. I felt that was better than comparing team rankings where 3rd for the Brewers equals 17th for the Padres or 19th for the Rays.

There are obviously different strategies for targeting Rule 5 players, tools vs performance, safer role players vs reaching for potential upside. 

28 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

There are obviously different strategies for targeting Rule 5 players, tools vs performance, safer role players vs reaching for potential upside. 

Last year, Mike drafted role players, two guys who were similar. We kept one and got rid of the other. The question is whether he’s going to do the same thing this year or reach a little bit further. Given our needs on the infield, and that we don’t have MLB-ready guys yet, I’m thinking he’s going to go infield again.

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

Last year, Mike drafted role players, two guys who were similar. We kept one and got rid of the other. The question is whether he’s going to do the same thing this year or reach a little bit further. Given our needs on the infield, and that we don’t have MLB-ready guys yet, I’m thinking he’s going to go infield again.

Taking 20 years olds that are 5 years away is stupid. They offer nothing now, have little chance of sticking, have no bat at this point. Martin struggled and he had a pretty good year at AA in 2018

49 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I wasn’t arguing for any of these guys, just saying they are the top prospects as ranked by Fangraphs unprotected. I felt that was better than comparing team rankings where 3rd for the Brewers equals 17th for the Padres or 19th for the Rays.

I understand your point! My point is none of those guys are anywhere close.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

What do you think about Srock? High OBP leadoff type with speed? 5'9'' with little power