Could we be looking at another sell off?

sportsfan8703

Just now, atomic said:

If you trade all the players in the original post and don't add new players they will be worse. Well other than Severino and Nunez.  Who I think can easily be replaced.   

I don’t think it’s even remotely realistic that all those players will be traded.    One of my least favorite games to play is guessing who will be traded and who will be received in exchange.     I’m fine with trading anyone if the return is good, and we’ll just see what Elias does.    

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s even remotely realistic that all those players will be traded.    One of my least favorite games to play is guessing who will be traded and who will be received in exchange.     I’m fine with trading anyone if the return is good, and we’ll just see what Elias does.    

I hope Villar and Mancini are back next season. I think it is hard for fans to identify with the team if you have new players every year.   Mancini should be moved to first base though.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I hope Villar and Mancini are back next season. I think it is hard for fans to identify with the team if you have new players every year.   Mancini should be moved to first base though.   

I agree it would be a pretty cruel blow to lose both those players.   I’d still do it if the return were right, especially Villar, who’s gone in a year anyway.   I do enjoy watching him play, though.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Isn't 27ish the prime for a baseball player? I don't see any reason why we should keep any of those if players if someone makes us a solid offer. I'm not saying we should give them away, but they should certainly be "available". 

I guess we agree! I don't think Alberto will give you full value at this point. Another .300+ batting average season will help increase value and more interest.

I agree that anyone on our MLB roster should be available for the right deal..... Including Means

EDIT .... I think the prime production years are 27-32

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Orioles already have stopped getting worse, having won 7 more games in 2019 than in 2018.     I expect them to win more games in 2020 than they won last year.   But I don’t expect them to do it by spending a lot of money to acquire veteran players.    I expect them to do it because some of their younger players will gradually be maturing and the front office and coaching staff will benefit from having spent 2019 testing players’ capabilities.     Do I expect a big leap in the team’s record?    No, just modest improvement.    

I wouldn't gauge the Orioles being better or worse by their record. Like Elias has said many times, rebuilds aren't linear.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Fans should be being sold on identifying with Hays, Mountcastle, Diaz, AR, etc....  That’s our future. At some point it’s more about the rebuild than identifying with one particular player. 

Its unrealistic, and it really doesn’t matter what I want, but I’m ready to go full blown expansion team, and stock up as many assets for 2022+ as possible. 

In three years will we care that we lost 112 or 105 games in 2020?  What does it matter?

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Fans should be being sold on identifying with Hays, Mountcastle, Diaz, AR, etc....  That’s our future. At some point it’s more about the rebuild than identifying with one particular player. 

Its unrealistic, and it really doesn’t matter what I want, but I’m ready to go full blown expansion team, and stock up as many assets for 2022+ as possible. 

In three years will we care that we lost 112 or 105 games in 2020?  What does it matter?

Identifying with any player would be a start. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Say hello to Adley Rutschman. 

He won't be with the team next year. It would be nice if Hays and Mountcastle started with the big club next year.  With the current players we could have a decent line-up.  Still no pitching but at least a sign of progress. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree, this what if stuff is for the birds.

I get some of it, is what Tony likes to call discussion points.

But, some of it, is just so unrealistic, its silly

Heck, the rapture could occur, tonight and solve this whole problem for us. :) :) :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, this what if stuff is for the birds.

I get some of it, is what Tony likes to call discussion points.

But, some of it, is just so unrealistic, its silly

Heck, the rapture could occur, tonight and solve this whole problem for us. :) :) :)

When I saw the fighter jets scrambling this morning, I thought I guess maybe the rebuild might not happen? Wouldn't even need to worry about the next draft. .

3 hours ago, atomic said:

If you can get veteran players for less these days than wouldn't it make more sense to trade fringe prospects for veterans?  Instead of trading your good veteran players for fringe prospects? 

Fringe prospects are by definition low probability. They are not zero probability. One simple theory is that if you gather a lot of fringe prospects, you have a chance that a couple really hit. Think John Means. It happens.

So would you rather have pretty good veteran players now and win 70-75 games or a better chance to have a couple of better players in a couple of years when our higher rated talent arrives? Would you rather have the money trading veterans would free up to eventually also invest in players during that competitive window?

I think I know your answer, but you should at least acknowledge the calculus behind the strategy.

32 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Fringe prospects are by definition low probability. They are not zero probability. One simple theory is that if you gather a lot of fringe prospects, you have a chance that a couple really hit. Think John Means. It happens.

So would you rather have pretty good veteran players now and win 70-75 games or a better chance to have a couple of better players in a couple of years when our higher rated talent arrives? Would you rather have the money trading veterans would free up to eventually also invest in players during that competitive window?

I think I know your answer, but you should at least acknowledge the calculus behind the strategy.

If they were going after fringe veterans, then the dude would be complaining about that, and how we need the youth movement.

55 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I was thinking of winning 90 plus games by picking up a lot of veterans.  I mean that is what the Astros did.  Picked up a lot of veteran pitchers for prospects.