Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's a fine comparison between the Orioles and the Marlins.  However one is being run by an Ivy League grad, the other is being run by a former Yankees shortstop who's got a penchant for banging supermodels and making bad baseball moves.  

You forgot the gift baskets after the dates with Captain O-ver-rated.

The Marlins' President of Baseball Operations (on paper) is Michael Hill, a Harvard grad.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Anyone pointing at the Marlins to say “why wont the Orioles do xyz when the Marlins will” presumes that Marlins have any idea what they are doing, and anything they have idea about isn’t completely crooked. I would never model my franchise after Miami.

I agree 100%

But the Logic for them kinda makes sense.

They have a heavy Latino following. So much so that they put Photos Villar and their other acquisition on a advertisement and sent it right out.

My guess is that they are hoping to be better. If they end up not being better and he has a good 1st half they have options.

obviously he will be owed somewhere between 3.5-5 million depending on the arb or agreed upon terms.

If they get a better prospect than they gave up to get him they are ahead of the game.Especially if he helped you sell tickets before the deadline.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's a fine comparison between the Orioles and the Marlins.  However one is being run by an Ivy League grad, the other is being run by a former Yankees shortstop who's got a penchant for banging supermodels and making bad baseball moves. 

It's great work if you can get it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

There are a lot of good players who got non-tendered. This tells me there is going to be a war when talks for the next CBA begin. If nothing else I would like to see a minimum salary floor put In place to discourage tanking and encourage teams to put Major League caliber products on the field. It's probably a pipe dream but I'm hopeful something in that direction will be done.

We haven't had a strike in... 25 years. That whole area of negotiations is dangerous territory if either side wants to push it.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but then why tender Bundy who is in a very similar situation? If you going to go all cold and heartless, do you really think Bundy s going to bring much back in trade?

1.    Bundy will make less than Villar.

2.    Bundy has two years of control remaining and if he has a good first half his trade value could be stronger at the deadline than now.

3.   Watching a lineup minus Villar will be somewhat painful, but watching a rotation minus Bundy will be much more painful.    You’ve heard of “Spahn, Sain and pray for rain?”     This would be “Means, rain and pray for a hurricane.”   [Anyone know where I stole that from?]

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I think this is wrong. He will be owed closer to $10 million. Right?

He's talking about if they trade him mid-year, they would only be responsible for a portion of the salary.

$10.4M arb projection, but maybe signed at a smaller figure pre-arb.

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

He's talking about if they trade him mid-year, they would only be responsible for a portion of the salary.

$10.4M arb projection, but maybe signed at a smaller figure pre-arb.

Jeter will be more assimilating with a fellow SS, right? Say, 8 million?

Does Jeter actually negotiate contracts? :confused: What is his role with the Marlins?

Just now, scOtt said:

Does Jeter actually negotiate contracts? :confused: What is his role with the Marlins?

Villar will have negotiating power if they're already advertising him. I think...

2 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Apparently his role is to be sick of the Marlins, per this headline. 

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/subtle-moves-show-derek-jeter-may-be-sick-of-marlins-embarrassment/

Craig Edwards at Fangraphs' take on the Villar trade:  

While Villar and Pillar certainly have flaws, they would have made the Orioles and Giants better in 2020 had their teams held on to them. Although their expected salaries were in the eight-figure range, that’s not an unreasonable cost, even for the Marlins on Villar and likely some other team with Pillar. The Giants and Orioles just made themselves worse in order to pocket $10 million. Having the two players might not change their spot in the standings at year’s end, but those two players aren’t blocking anyone, and they might have netted prospects at the trade deadline.

Tanking isn’t about draft position, it’s about saving money. Tanking or rebuilding or whatever you might call it isn’t necessarily the root of baseball’s issues, but non-competitive baseball is a big problem, and two teams just made themselves worse solely to save some money.

• Upvote 1