Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The real problem ( 20+ years) remains the same

The Orioles need new ownership.

The Angelos family pockets are not very deep. I don't believe we will ever see a top 15 payroll with the present ownership.

I pray that they are stripping the franchise to the studs in preparation to selling.

We were top 15 not all that long ago ??

17 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The Angelos family pockets are not very deep. I don't believe we will ever see a top 15 payroll with the present ownership.

I pray that they are stripping the franchise to the studs in preparation to selling.

Peter Angelos is worth 2 billion dollars. Money is hardly a problem they have.

I agree that I’d like to see new ownership. 

If they are able to keep the team they will spend again when the time is right IMO

The Orioles we 15th, 10th, and 14th  in payroll from 2016-2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/lawyers/peter-angelos-net-worth/%3famp=1

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Giving Villar $10M dollars would have been like putting expensive rims and a high end stereo system in a '92 Hyundai Excel. Whether you like the return or not this was the right decision and a terrible one for the Marlins, who seem to have zero direction under future HOF'er and Yankee hero Jeter. 

FTFY for shame!  They're preparing his bust for "Champion's Alley" as we speak.  ?

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Giving Villar $10M dollars would have been like putting expensive rims and a high end stereo system in a '92 Hyundai Excel. Whether you like the return or not this was the right decision and a terrible one for the Marlins, who seem to have zero direction under Jeter. 

My ‘89 Excel came with a factory installed Blaupunkt stereo .

It was stolen within 6 months 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The Angelos family pockets are not very deep. I don't believe we will ever see a top 15 payroll with the present ownership.

We had a top 15 payroll every year from 2013-18, per BB-ref.

2013 - 13th

2014 - 13th

2015 - 15th

2016 - 10th

2017 - 11th

2018 - 14th

I don’t know if the O’s are capable of always being in the top 15, but they’ve shown they can and will do it for sustained stretches if they think they’re in a competitive window.     And it’s easier to do that if they strip payroll low while they’re not competitive.      

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Peter Angelos is worth 2 billion dollars. Money is hardly a problem they have.

I agree that I’d like to see new ownership. 

If they are able to keep the team they will spend again when the time is right IMO

The Orioles we 15th, 10th, and 14th  in payroll from 2016-2018

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-businessmen/lawyers/peter-angelos-net-worth/%3famp=1

Over half of that wealth is the Orioles/MASN correct?

Also, as I have already said, Peter is not the effective owner of the team anymore.

27 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The Orioles were a top-10 payroll as recently as 2017.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

From all I can discern, the law firm is in decline, as it was built largely on the tenacity of PA himself.

Not sure that it generates much profit, certainly not in the league with other ML owners businesses

This could be a fair point.    Law firms are not like other kinds of businesses.     It’s extremely easy to leave a law firm and join another one or start your own.     Only lawyers who work at the firm can receive profits.    So it’s not like Angelos can just hand over his share of the law firm’s profits to his sons when he dies.     He has one son who works there and one who doesn’t.    I don’t see how the other attorneys there would accept the son just taking over dad’s share of the profits if he’s not producing like dad did.    They’d just walk across the street and practice law elsewhere.    

At the same time, I don’t think most sports team owners subsidize their teams with profits from other businesses much.    Some of them aren’t looking to profit much from their teams, but they’re not looking to lose money.

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

My first guess is "Marlins."

LOL - I saw the "Hardy Boys" @DrungoHazewood mentioned in another thread.  Let's get Frank and Joe on this right about now (thanks to Franklin W. Dixon for creating enjoyment during my "pre-social media fixation" days of reading and playing sandlot baseball back in the previous century). sigh ?⚾.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Giving Villar $10M dollars would have been like putting expensive rims and a high end stereo system in a '92 Hyundai Excel. Whether you like the return or not this was the right decision and a terrible one for the Marlins, who seem to have zero direction under Jeter. 

Yeah, people think Elias' message is bad.  What is the Marlins message?  They couldn't keep several young Star-Superstar players because they couldn't afford them.  Now they can afford to pay Villar 10 million?  It really doesn't fit into what they're doing.  

Lots of people have asserted that Elias made the wrong move.  I think I'd rather be on this end of the equation versus what the Marlins did by picking up Villar, or the Reds not picking up Villar, and instead filling 2B with Moustakas for 4/64.  San Diego also chose Profar, albeit cheaper, over Villar as well.  So two of the best fits, SD and Cinn, went into other directions that don't appear to make the most sense.  It's hard to get a deal done when the team that is the best possible fit gives a 3B $16 million a year to play 2B until he's 35.  

• Like 1