If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

atomic

9 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I understand all the arguments, pro and con and do not intend to rehash them, but rather to ask anyone who continues to see his presence on the roster as somehow absurdly inevitable because "Angelos doesn't save anything by releasing him".....just exactly how long does that argument  last ?   I mean until the very last dollar of the last year of his contract is gone?  Or is there somewhere before that when  his release from the roster becomes the only rational position for us as fans to take?   Does anyone think he will be here until his contract expires (not the deferred payments obviously, just the playing contract)? 

I think it’s possible that the O’s will evaluate Davis this spring, and if he looks no better than last year, cut him either at the end of spring training or when Mountcastle is ready to come up.    This scenario assumes that Elias thought it was worthwhile to take one more shot at fixing Davis over the winter, his staff having spent the year analyzing what his problems are and what he might do this winter to address them.   And that the O’s are willing to cut him if they judge there’s been no significant improvement by this spring.

A second scenario is that, even if he’s still awful, they’ll simply hold on to Davis until such time, if any, that the team is looking competitive and his absence would meaningfully affect having a shot at the playoffs.    And I don’t see that possibility until the last year of his deal (2022), if then.     

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Davis was roughly a 3-win player in 2016.  Even with a linear, somewhat normal half a win a year decline you'd expect him to be a 1- or 1-and-a-half win player in 2020.  I think best case is that he gets back to being unacceptably bad, instead of historically bad.

1 - 1.5 wins would be unacceptably bad?     I’d probably be turning cartwheels if Davis got back to that level.    Except that I’d rather be giving the playing time to younger players.   

I absolutely despise it anytime Davis plays first base, because it means Trey Mancini isn't.  I'd rather they played Davis in the outfield instead of Mancini.  Davis stinks in the outfield too, but at least we would then be showcasing Mancini at his natural defensive position, not a position he can't play well and is more likely to injure himself playing.  If the Orioles are truly going to consider dealing Mancini at the 2020 deadline or next offseason, then he can't keep playing corner outfield.  Let him build up a defensive resume at first base, which is his best defensive position.  Heck, I'd rather see Davis playing third base or frickin second base if it keeps Mancini out of the outfield.  

If ownership is too stubborn to release Davis, then at the very least Hyde and Elias need to stick him in the outfield or DH to prevent Mancini from playing there.  If Davis doesn't like it, he can ride the pine or retire.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1 - 1.5 wins would be unacceptably bad?     I’d probably be turning cartwheels if Davis got back to that level.    Except that I’d rather be giving the playing time to younger players.   

That's assuming a straightforward decline instead of falling of a cliff.  It's probably unreasonable for him to get back to that normal level, he'd still be below 1 or 1.5 wins in a rosy, happy scenario that's very unlikely to materialize.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's assuming a straightforward decline instead of falling of a cliff.  It's probably unreasonable for him to get back to that normal level, he'd still be below 1 or 1.5 wins in a rosy, happy scenario that's very unlikely to materialize.

Oh, I agree with that.    

End of the day, it likely doesn't matter if the Os keep him for the duration of the contract. Mancini and Nunez will be gone by then, they might not be full on competitive yet. 

I doubt that happens but it's very possible. Folks need to just come to terms with the fact that Davis exists in a completely separate space than the rest of what Elias is trying to do. He's just going to work around Davis and it is what it is. You can't use Davis as a way to compare other moves being made. 

1 hour ago, FanSince88 said:

I absolutely despise it anytime Davis plays first base, because it means Trey Mancini isn't.  I'd rather they played Davis in the outfield instead of Mancini.  Davis stinks in the outfield too, but at least we would then be showcasing Mancini at his natural defensive position, not a position he can't play well and is more likely to injure himself playing.  If the Orioles are truly going to consider dealing Mancini at the 2020 deadline or next offseason, then he can't keep playing corner outfield.  Let him build up a defensive resume at first base, which is his best defensive position.  Heck, I'd rather see Davis playing third base or frickin second base if it keeps Mancini out of the outfield.  

If ownership is too stubborn to release Davis, then at the very least Hyde and Elias need to stick him in the outfield or DH to prevent Mancini from playing there.  If Davis doesn't like it, he can ride the pine or retire.  

Watching Davis in the outfield during the Texas series this year was...Interesting.

Why would anybody see a common thread between Davis and Villar?

Villar is a productive player moved because he was owed a new contract and he was making the rest of the team look bad

Davis fits the current model. He stinks and helps you lose. Plus his salary is already owed. Getting him off the roster would cost the team a minimum salary and almost certainly improved performance.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Villar is a productive player moved because he was owed a new contract and he was making the rest of the team look bad

Davis fits the current model. He stinks and helps you lose. Plus his salary is already owed. Getting him off the roster would cost the team a minimum salary and almost certainly improved performance.

They saved Villar's salary so they can afford the $530k that Davis saves by being on the team. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Word!

Problem is, you used facts to support your argument.

The negative ninnies wont like that. LOL

• Upvote 1

On 12/3/2019 at 11:42 AM, atomic said:

If you want to make fans deal with losing our best player over not wanting to pay his salary than the team should at least have the decency to release Chris Davis and not make their fans go through another season of him hitting .170 and striking out all time.   I know there have been a lot of release Chris Davis threads but what is the point of having Davis on the roster?  To save 550k over a guy  making the minimum.  Well they just saved $10 million by getting rid of Villar.   Davis has already stated that he isn't changing his batting stance or approach.  

Time to do something positive for the fans.  

I'm all for dumping Davis, but I don't see how these two moves are related AT ALL. The point of having Davis on the roster is because they're stuck with him. There was point of having Villar on the 2020 roster.