Aug 23 O's Yanks

THELTSHOW

But what I'm saying is that Trembley was doing his usual calm chat thing and then all of a sudden West tossed him. THEN he got really upset so I wonder if he got more mad at getting tossed. And what he said that got him tossed at that? I mean, he wasn't animated at all, maybe it was "all talk"?

Can't wait for the Postgame Press Conference. I hope he has one.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What an impossible rule to put into effect. Just how long a pause between swinging and running is allowed? Do they use a stopwatch?

Nice pull, though.

Yeah and I guess they must employ folks from the psychic friends network as the umpires, since apparently you have to be able read the batters mind.

What an impossible rule to put into effect. Just how long a pause between swinging and running is allowed? Do they use a stopwatch?

Nice pull, though.

Thanks!

The comment seems pretty clear--he's out as soon as he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate. Ump probably doesn't make the call until the guy leaves the circle.

Damn! Giambi goes yard. :(

Yeah and I guess they must employ folks from the psychic friends network as the umpires, since apparently you have to be able read the batters mind.

That's probably why it took so long. All the umps had to re-align their chis, and then hold a seance to summon the spirit of Kennesaw Mountain Landis to guide them to the answer which laid in Mora's brain.

Thanks!

The comment seems pretty clear--he's out as soon as he leaves the dirt circle surrounding home plate. Ump probably doesn't make the call until the guy leaves the circle.

Damn! Giambi goes yard. :(

How often does a batter hit a sure homer and step outside the "dirt circle" and stare at the ball before actually running?

So much emotion in this game...

1st inning- "here we go again" to "that was lucky they got Roberts" to "oh well we got 1"

2nd inning- "good Guthrie is calm down" to "yes beat up on pavano" to "what!?!?! mora's out" to "trembley's gone"

3rd inning- :cussing:

The "dirt circle" rule only applies to uncaught third strikes.

The problem is that I've seen guys pause and step out of the dirt circle on passed ball third strikes and there wasn't an issue.

It often takes a second to register that the ball goes all the way to the backstop.

Still, by the letter of the rule, it seems they got it right.

But what I'm saying is that Trembley was doing his usual calm chat thing and then all of a sudden West tossed him. THEN he got really upset so I wonder if he got more mad at getting tossed. And what he said that got him tossed at that? I mean, he wasn't animated at all, maybe it was "all talk"?

Just looked back at the TIVO. It almost looks like the ump got mad at Trembley for interrupting the ump's explanation. It also sounded like Girardi got his time to talk to the umps before they had the conference. I think Trembley was really ticked he didn't get his chance to make his case before getting tossed.

They just showed the replay, and while Mora was walking for most of the way, he wasn't THAT far out of the baseline to make a call like that.

Yeah I mean he's no more out of the baseline than any other batter who suddenly has the light bulb turn on during a play like that. It's a completely arbitrary ruling.

Pudge made sure to tag Huff on that one.

God, I almost don't care about the game anymore...I just want to know what Trembley actually said to get him tossed...he looked so calm.

The YES announcers believed it was simply that West gave him an allotted amount of time to argue and, when he exceeded it, he got tossed.

Just looked back at the TIVO. It almost looks like the ump got mad at Trembley for interrupting the ump's explanation. It also sounded like Girardi got his time to talk to the umps before they had the conference. I think Trembley was really ticked he didn't get his chance to make his case before getting tossed.

Oh man, if that's why, Trembley is probably filing grievances as we speak.

Archived