O's 40 man roster is full

wildcard

And Elias needs to add at least two starters and a SS to the major league roster.

Who is the most vulnerable?  Here is my list:

1. Armstrong  - He is out of option and had a bad year in the majors.

2. Hanhold - I don't really understand why he is on the roster

3. Givens - Likely to be traded sometime his off season.

4. Smith -  With the signing of Williams to  a minor league contract Smith moves further down the list.  

What is your take?

31 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Finding room for someone shouldn't be a problem. Any of a half-dozen guys could go without being missed, including the 500-pound elephant on the bench.

That must be one really tiny elephant.    The typical African bush elephant weighs between 4,400 and 13,000 pounds.   

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

And Elias needs to add at least two starters and a SS to the major league roster.

Who is the most vulnerable?  Here is my list:

1. Armstrong  - He is out of option and had a bad year in the majors.

2. Hanhold - I don't really understand my he is on the roster

3. Givens - Likely to be traded sometime his off season.

4. Smith -  With the signing of Williams to  a minor league contract Smith moves further down the list.  

What is your take?

They have the two starters already. They picked them up in the rule 5. I have doubts above Givens going now as the longer it takes the last likely it is.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:35 AM, Aristotelian said:

Hess, Sulser and Valaika (who were just claimed), Smith, the Rule 5 guys. Armstrong was decent, I don't know why we'd get rid of him.

I think Sulser makes the pen.     

If Martin is sent to AAA and the O's add an everyday SS,  they will need a backup SS.  Right now that looks like Valaika.

Armstrong can strike out folks but was not not good last season.   His WHIP was  1.546,  which went with his ERA of 5.13.   And he is out of options.     I don't think he makes it through the off season on the 40 man roster.   Elias probably wouldn't mind keeping him as a AAA possibility IMO.

Hess is on the bubble for sure but they look like they are now developing him as a reliever.   They may not be done with his yet.   He has options..

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They have the two starters already. They picked them up in the rule 5. I have doubts above Givens going now as the longer it takes the last likely it is.

Rucker is more likely a pen piece if he makes the team at all IMO.

Givens is as good as gone after they traded Bundy is my guess.  There is no hurry.  Some team probably  offers the  prospects that Elias wants.

I'd handicap the bottom of the 40 man like this,

40.  Davis - we all know the situation.  

39.  Wynns - he's not a prospect anymore.  He is what he is, and that's the type of 3rd catcher that you keep in AAA for depth, but don't have on the 40 man.

38.  Valaika - we claimed before every team in the league had to set their rosters before the rule 5, and before teams starting signing FAs.  

37.  Mullins - He might just be a corner guy defensively, and his bat really got exposed in the MLB.  Probably should give up SH.  

36-28.  Any of the 1 IP relievers.  We're going to be in a mad scramble to cover innings next year.  So guys that really can only go 1 IP don't offer us too much.  Players like Kline, Phillips, Fry, Hanhold, Sulser, Carroll, Hess, and Scott.  It's time for them to get results or go.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

It's an interesting exercise to rank the bottom of the 40 man, but I don't think the decisions will be particularly meaningful. When they choose to DFA person x instead of person y, I'll shrug and assume there's a good chance that person won't be claimed anyway.

Right now we've lost like 220 games the last two seasons, so one could say "How good is the 40 man roster?"  Next year in November, I'll 40 man roster space will be more tight because we have like 8 legit prospects that we have to add protect to the Rule 5.  We're going to see lots of roster turnover.  

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

39.  Wynns - he's not a prospect anymore.  He is what he is, and that's the type of 3rd catcher that you keep in AAA for depth, but don't have on the 40 man.

38.  Valaika - we claimed before every team in the league had to set their rosters before the rule 5, and before teams starting signing FAs.  

37.  Mullins - He might just be a corner guy defensively, and his bat really got exposed in the MLB.  Probably should give up SH.  

36-28.  Any of the 1 IP relievers.  We're going to be in a mad scramble to cover innings next year.  So guys that really can only go 1 IP don't offer us too much.  Players like Kline, Phillips, Fry, Hanhold, Sulser, Carroll, Hess, and Scott.  It's time for them to get results or go.  

I think this is a good way to look at things.  Unfortunately, in one half of reality, Davis isn't that low.  Which sucks because in the other half of reality, he deserves that spot and to be viewed in that light.

I can't argue with the rest though, that's accurate.

• Upvote 1

On 12/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't agree with much of this.

Davis -  There has been no indication from O's management that he is going anywhere.

Wynn -  Though he may not be better than Sisco or Severino but the O's need depth at catcher so much that they are still looking for a 4th catcher to sign on a minor league contract.   Its very unlikely that that the O's DFA him for fear of losing him at this point.

Valaika -  I don't see him coming off the 40 man unless the O's sign both a veteran SS and a back SS.   I don't  see them determining if Martin is in the majors or minors until ST.

Mullins -  Is projected to be a 4th outfielder with speed that could back up LF/CF.    He has options.  He will play all of 2020 at 25 years old.  I don't see them DFAing him this off season.

I agree the Hanhold may leave but the rest that you mentioned. don't look like they will go unless the O's find someone better.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't agree with much of this.

Davis -  There has been no indication from O's management that he is going anywhere.

Wynn -  Though he may not be better than Sisco or Severino butthe O's need depth at catcher so much that they are still looking for a 4th catcher to sign on a minor league contract.   Its very unlikely that that the O's DFA him for fear of losing him at this point.

Valaika -  I don't see him comeing off the 40 man unless the O's sign both a veteran SS and a back SS.   I don't  see them determining if Martin is in the majors or minors until ST.

Mullins -  Is projected to be a 4th outfield with speed that could back up LF/CF.    He has options.  He will play all of 2020 at 25 years old.  I don't see them DFAing him this off season.

I agree the Hanhold may leave but the rest that you mentioned. don't look like they will go unless the O's find someone better.

What type of handicapper would I be if I didn't have Davis at 40?  You don't think that we already have, or could pick up milb players to replace Wynns and Valaika?  C'mon, you're really overvaluing them.  Wynns is no longer a prospect.  If we needed a 3rd C because of injury, we could easily just add a Martin Cervenka type, or make a milb trade.  Same with Valaika, we re-signed Jose Rondon.  I get it that Mullins is a sentimental pick, heck I want to see him succeed as well, but if he can't play CF then he is a dime a dozen player.  

Bottomline is... Wynns and Valaika are org guys.  We've lost 220 games the last two seasons.  We need to be shooting for guys with higher ceilings than 3rd C, or 4th IF.