Oscar Colás - Time to Spend Some of That Int'l Money?

wildbillhiccup

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why?    Could be a very good ROI for all we know.   

*likely*

The value of IFA money drops every single time someone is taken off the market. Just like increases every time someone is added. The value of that dollar is significantly less then it was in July and August. It only usually pays off to save when a Moncada or Lobo type jumps in late.

This time of year the IFA markets supply/demand favors the player mostly. Think advising him to wait until July is bad. More money in July and 100's of more players that are competing for that money. If he's not a cut above, he's not getting a big share like he could right now because teams have nothing better to spend it on.

Yes. He "could", but its highly unlikely for a player that has inserted himself into the market this late and scouts didn't really know about. Or at least rumors.

Edited by Scalious

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be really leery of judging someone’s power off one swing of the bat.   I guess on one level it shows what a player can do if everything goes perfectly.   But it doesn’t really tell you what will happen with any regularity.   

I realize my posts in this thread come off like I’m negative on Colas.    I’m not.    I hope the O’s look at him, decide he’s worth grabbing, and get it done.    But that middle part is really important — they need to take a hard look and decide he’s worth it.    I don’t assume that he is or isn’t.   

I wouldn't have mentioned it if that homer had been pulled. It's encouraging to see a player turn around a ball that got that deep. 

On 1/4/2020 at 11:15 AM, AnythingO's said:

Because a bidding war is possible, there is a chance Vera receives $2.5 million, or slightly more, from a team that buys into the projection and pitches shown on Saturday. When he signs, he’ll likely fit in the 40+ FV or low 45 FV prospect range on THE BOARD, with No. 3 or 4 starter upside, the unquestioned top pitcher in the 2019 who may also be the best in the 2020 class if he chooses to wait until then.

We spent $2.3 million on Gunnar Henderson. I don’t see a downside to signing Vera, if he would sign with us. A Cuban player is probably are best bet at this point because it doesn’t take the years of “relationship building” that it does in the Dominican to sign a player. Ultimately it’s up to what Elias thinks about the player, but we’ve seen him pass on Sanchez and Mesa so far. Eventually, I’d like to see him sign someone. Especially, until we spend all of our allowed money in the J2 period.